Shenmue 2D

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue 2D

Postby YCC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 pm

ImageImage

Deadline:
Oct 1, 2013.

=====================================================================================================
Project Goals and Scope
=====================================================================================================
***Using the Unity game engine (or Flash), create a non-profit, single level, 2D sidescroller within the Shenmue universe where the player controls Ryo. The 'game' element is to be decided, but I'm really only shooting for a recreation of that level and some minor interactions. The same type of 'detective' gameplay may be implemented, such as when Ryo has to find out more about the three blades or sailors. This is where I can be a little bit more creative, but I don't really have many concrete ideas at the moment. I'm focusing on the social interactions Ryo has with the NPCs and not fighting or QTEs, despite both not being out of the question. It really depends on time and my programming abilities, which are not up to par yet.

***Create Dobuita from Shenmue with modifications to suit the 2D perspective. The goal is to make it large enough to have the same sort of traversal time as in the original game, ie., if Ryo were to walk from Sakurgoaka Park to the bus stop, it'd probably take a couple of minutes, from what I remember anyway. That's the kind of size I'm aiming for.

***NPCs will include as many of the 'main' secondary characters as possible. For now, Nozomi and Tom along with most of the shopkeepers are locked in for creation, while others like Noriko, Eri, Ichiro, Naoyuki, and Honey are secondary priorities. This may change depending on what I feel is best during development.

***Some of the more important interiors of buildings will be created, namely, You Arcade, Liu's Barber Shop, Tomato Convenience Store, Ajiichi Chinese Restaurant, Lapis Fortune Teller, and Aida Flower Shop.

***The artistic style may be the same as the animated GIF above or something more simplified or just simply different. Pixel art or painterly. I have to experiment more to find the right kind that suits my artistic ability, which is somewhat lacking.

Summation and Notes

I'm looking to spend every day on this and complete it as much as I can. This is my attempt at an interactive 2D game, which will give me experience to move on to other for-profit games I'm going to design in the future.

As is the case though, things can get derailed internally or externally. In that event, I may have to cancel the project at any time. Hopefully, that doesn't happen.

About the GIF though, the palette and style was my attempt at drawing Ryo in the King of Fighters 13 style, which relies on nearly 5 tints of a single colour to create gradients/shadows. I recall it being rather tedious drawing pixel art (having only vaguely done it before as a child) and it took about a while to do, even to its incomplete state (which was due to personal reasons). I'm not a person that just draws for the fun. I draw only to complete an objective. In that sense, my artistic abilities are lacking, and yet it allows me to pick and choose styles to emulate or modify. We'll just have to see what I come up with. I'm probably still going to do pixel art though. Can't ignore the charm of it.

Hopefully, a cease and desist doesn't come my way. I'd consider this complex fan art that's 'transformative', but you never know.

I'll update as frequently as I can.

YCC has received 8 thanks from: DreamcastPast, gabril, Hazuki_san, MiTT3NZ, neosnk, ShenmueTree, ShenSun, wude
YCC
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Shenmue 2D

Postby ShenSun » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Bloody awesome. Good luck mate and welcome to the Dojo

ShenSun has received a thanks from: YCC
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ri_oh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 am

Great idea. Really looking forward to this. Good luck!

Ri_oh has received a thanks from: YCC
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby gabril » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:00 pm

GREAT idea! looking forward :D

gabril has received a thanks from: YCC
gabril
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Europa Universalis4

Postby Fenix » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:24 pm

I love the idea.

Fenix has received a thanks from: YCC
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby YCC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm

A couple of tests. I've decided to go for a more cel-shaded look than the pixel art style because it's simply easier to do and allows for a little more expression/detail in the faces. You can see I had wrinkles in the first concept on the left, but decided to leave them out in the second. I think still looks decent enough. We'll see how it looks when I do the walk cycle, but I doubt anyone is going to miss my crappy renderings of folds.

Also, the first concept's face looks entirely different than the second concept. While the first one looks 'cuter' (with it's own charm, which I like), the second matches Ryo's 3D model's proportions a lot better. He does look a little angrier, which might have to change a little. It's somewhat tedious how a few pixels can change facial expression at this pixel density.

About the style, it's slightly painterly on the lines and a bit more rough. I could replace them with pen tooled lines, but that takes a long time and the result would not be that dissimilar to what I have now.

Background plate was done with 3DS Max many months ago. The backgrounds will be in 2D though and will not have angular perspective. It'll only have parallaxing backgrounds, the same as in Super Mario World or Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

The game will be in 1920x1080.

A walk and run cycle are next.

YCC has received 3 thanks from: DreamcastPast, MiTT3NZ, wude
YCC

Postby Hazuki_san » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Really cool project, like the improvements on the design too.

Hazuki_san has received a thanks from: YCC
Hazuki_san

Steam: Motokeiru

Postby DreamcastPast » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Great work YCC, I'm hoping this project goes the distance, there have been many over the years that I've got excited about. Just some positive feedback; the first concept on the left, with the jacket creases... to me the small creases on the arm of the jacket help to give it a bit of substance, kind of shows that the jacket is weighty and has a thickness like leather, as indeed Ryo's jacket is leather. Like the new style, looks more professional in my opinion. Again, just my opinion, I see what you mean about the cuteness of the face on the first concept but some elements like the eyes, eyebrows, hair and hair shape of concept 1 look preferable to me, seems more like Ryo.

Good job, looking forward to seeing this progress =D>

DreamcastPast has received a thanks from: YCC
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby YCC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:51 pm

DreamcastPast wrote: Great work YCC, I'm hoping this project goes the distance, there have been many over the years that I've got excited about. Just some positive feedback; the first concept on the left, with the jacket creases... to me the small creases on the arm of the jacket help to give it a bit of substance, kind of shows that the jacket is weighty and has a thickness like leather, as indeed Ryo's jacket is leather. Like the new style, looks more professional in my opinion. Again, just my opinion, I see what you mean about the cuteness of the face on the first concept but some elements like the eyes, eyebrows, hair and hair shape of concept 1 look preferable to me, seems more like Ryo.

Good job, looking forward to seeing this progress =D>

Agreed. I'll paint some creases. Also agree on the face. I ended up going back to the original face with some modifications. I tried other faces and it started to look less and less like Ryo. I think I have something better now. Very incomplete first frame of walk cycle included.

Thanks for the comments.

Edit: Photobucket is strange sometimes. Reuploaded.
YCC

Postby DreamcastPast » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Nice work, the face and hair/hair shape look absolutely spot on to me, superior to the already good concepts 1 and 2!

DreamcastPast has received a thanks from: YCC
DreamcastPast

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby YCC » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Just a small update on the project. As is usually the case, I've been incredibly busy the last week and haven't had the time to continue the project. Not to mention my computer crashed several days ago while playing World of Tanks and refused to boot up Windows afterwards, giving me some disheartening BSODs. Incredibly rare circumstance with this computer, which I honestly don't know why it happened. Ended up having to test hardware, finding nothing, and concluded with a reformat. It's funny how coincidental things can be. I'll start working on it again next week when I get back from vacation (which was unplanned/suddenly formulated).

As such, I'm pushing the deadline to: Undated. With comments from MiTT3NZ and my own recent changes to time constraints, I'll just work on this project until it's completion. Could be two months or three months or longer. That said, it will get done to whatever level I feel is good enough to satisfy my 'fan art' definition.
YCC

Postby YCC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:50 pm

This might seem like a small update, but it took me a while to figure out a work flow that was within the confines of my abilities. It's funny. It's a similar process I used with the pixel art rendering I did before, but I was still having trouble wrapping my head around things.

A friend tells me he looks a bit angry, so the hands will be more relaxed in the final renderings.

Anyway, now that I have a more specific process of drawing animation frames, character animation should be a little faster and updates should be more frequent.

I'm glad I got this out of the way though and now I can start drawing details and then eventually move on to the environmental artwork, which includes the NPCs.

My current idea is to skip the run cycle for now, fully render this walk cycle, and then move on to the unique buildings of Shenmue's Dobuita. We'll see.

YCC has received 2 thanks from: DreamcastPast, MiTT3NZ
YCC

Postby YCC » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:19 pm

I've been fairly busy with other things, but still making progress, just in another way.

New change to the project: I''ve been attempting to force myself to make my artwork and potential games in 2D for various reasons, but I think it's better for me to focus more on 3D. I have much more experience in 3D, albeit more in environmental work, but I've also done character creation, rigging, and animation as well.

As such, I've decided to make this in 3D. It's going to take much longer, but if I'm going to do this, I think it's in my best interests to attempt a 3D 'game' for a Shenmue remake. The games themselves were all about simulating life (Japan/China) and I've come to terms with the fact that 2D simply just doesn't do it well enough. One wants to look and walk around environments in all dimensions, reach out and grab things, and talk face to face with interesting characters.

New Project Outline:
-Attempt to match today's standards of graphics while considering the original Shenmue style.
-Create Ryo Hazuki in 3D, rig, and animate him so that he's able to traverse the environments in a relatively realistic and controllable manner.
-Create Dobuita and a few important interiors.
-Create a few characters he can interact with on the street or elsewhere. Not sure about this one, but we'll see. Each character will take several weeks, which is an insane amount of work, so I might just leave them out.

A lighting system will be out of the question as I don't have Unity Pro. Environmental shadows will be baked into textures within 3DS Max and therefore static in the 'game'.

There's a lot of new things I need to learn, so this will take much longer for me, but I think it's about time I work on my strengths instead of forcing myself into overly difficult and tedious territory.

Ryo Hazuki Orthographic Rendering:

ImageImage

I've made this using several pieces of reference, specifically the front/back promo renderings that are available of Ryo. His proportions are pretty strange, but I think I've got something decent enough to move on. There aren't any details like folds or creases for a reason: I'm going to learn how to make folds in Mudbox, a sculpting program, and attempt to make him more realistic. If it's not working out, I'll add the fold 'manually' in Max.

Since I'm pretty happy with the faces, I'm going to start modeling his head. Should be fun going back into 3D after a long hiatus for me. Time to shake the rust off.

YCC has received 2 thanks from: DreamcastPast, MiTT3NZ
YCC

Postby ReeceKun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:19 am

The 2D style looks great and I love point n click games, this combined with Adventure Game Studio could be combined to make a really Indepth Shenmue point n click game.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby YCC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Doesn't look like Ryo just yet, but I'm continually tweaking it.

-Ears, eyes, eyebrows, and hair are all placeholders for now. Looks fairly cartoony at the moment.
-Skin is just a basic material.
-Hair was generated using Max's Hair and Fur modifier. Each 'slice' of hair will be modeled individually later and should look a lot better. If you study how he's actually modeled in the games, his hair is actually part of the same mesh as his face, which allows the texture artist to just paint in the roots on top of the skin. It's a neat way of 'solving' certain things. I might do the same type of procedure.
-Certain things were Photoshopped on top include the roots of hair, his sideburns, as well as the lining around his eyes.

YCC has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, ShenmueTree, wude
YCC

Next

Return to Community Projects