My Shenmue video-review

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

My Shenmue video-review

Postby SuperDerek » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 am

Hello Shenmue Dojo!

I just finished playing through Shenmue for the first time a few days ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the game. I had always heard good things about it, but.. words fail me, but if Shenmue was a book, it'd be a real page-turner.

I made a video review to help share this game with people who haven't give the game a chance yet, and as a nice retrospective for people who have played and enjoyed the game. I hope you like what you see!

phpBB [video]

SuperDerek has received 6 thanks from: Axm, BlueMue, DreamcastPast, Giorgio, Rakim, Yama
SuperDerek
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: My Shenmue video-review

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Hey nice review :) I like what you had to say about the characters and world holding a sort of supernatural or secretive undertone and feel that makes you want to learn more. Its true that later on in the story, once 3 comes around, that supernatural things will start to occur. So capturing that feeling for the player in the first was definitely something I think Yu Suzuki wanted to include despite its aim for realism.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Nicely done review! Just like you said, it's rare that someone picks the game up for the first time nowadays and reviews it. That indeed made it interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to hear about your experience with Shenmue II. I'm certain that you will enjoy it, perhaps even more then the first one.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ryoreturn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Great, Lan Di's entrance is always awesome. I love the intro its great.

I agree the controls take time to get used to it. And once you have it you don't really notice any real problems. Because you want to see the story unfold.

Land Di's english vocal is pretty cool for a villain sound he sounds extremely angry to me. I don't mind the slight mono tone of Ryo, as that to me leaves the player to fill in the rest.

Yeah I agree there is some thing supernatural Lan Di lifting up Ryo with one hand is pretty super natural but seems plausible thats what makes Shenmue great is that it is set in a very real life like world but some things don't sit right. Kind of like how big trouble in little china starts off, then you get the 3 storms.

Anyway good review and thanks.
ryoreturn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SuperDerek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 am

Oh wow, thanks for the warm welcome guys! I've been at work all day, it's nice to come home to see that you guys liked my video! :D

@ Axm
Thanks! I actually added that blurb in a re-write during the voice-over. I had pretty much done everything, and was listening through, but it still didn't feel like I had covered everything important about the game. It's got such a strong mood that I couldn't just not mention it. I don't know if anybody around here has read through The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, but if anyone has, this whole game, I felt like the character Jake during the 3rd book as he was searching for a way to Midworld. It's hard to articulate that feeling, but that's as close as I can get. :)

@ SpinDash
I'm also anxiously awaiting the chance to experience Shenmue 2. I'm holding out for the Dreamcast version, a shop down the street is selling a copy in mint condition for $50, so I'm hoping to snag that up with my next pay-check! I hear lots of really good things about it, and knock-on-wood, no spoilers yet!

@ RyoReturn
Yeah, Lan Di is a total badass. I'm very interested in finding out how he got that scar on his left cheek, I wonder if that ever gets revealed. The voice-acting for Lan Di and Ryo didn't bother me at all, really. It was mostly those odd transitions when starting conversations, or continuing them, the voice-acting was a little unnaturally paced for English. And the "extras" in the game were kind of immersion-breaking. Though the high-school girl who tells you not to hit on her is classic. :)
SuperDerek
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShenSun » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:53 am

Man you thought Shenmue 1 was an intense ride, wait until you experience Shenmue 2. Both games are completely different from one another.

I wish i could go back and experience Shenmue for the first time again. Those were the good old days. i was also a very young teenager 8)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:28 am

Nice to hear some fresh vocabulary used in a Shenmue review. Nowadays, they seem to all read the same as if a select number of words are tossed into a generator then spat out. I did find the review flawed at times, the "20 hour" thing in particular, considering the huge volume of secrets to be found and it's "play at your own pace" approach. However, as this is your first and only play-through I hold no grudges or owt, it all depends on what happens when you lose your... "Shenmue virginity".

The delivery, whilst well-spoken, often seemed a little awkward and disjointed, as if trying to exude a false sense of confidence and charisma, and it was quite blatant that, for the most part, you were reading almost entirely from a script.

All in all though, good review. It was calm, relaxed, not too long, not too short, and as you said yourself, you're unshackled by bias nostalgia, so it's definitely a review I'd be more inclined to share with someone looking at getting the game.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby SuperDerek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:24 am

Good morning!

@ uchihamadarav
I know the feeling. I wish I could go back and play through all of the classics for the first time again. Maybe some day when I'm older and my memory is going, I'll get to re-live those experiences. :)

@ MiTT3NZ
Thank you for your critique. It seems that my strategy of reviewing the game may have had it's benefits, and disadvantages. When playing through Shenmue, obviously I knew I would be reviewing the game, so I decided to restrict myself from watching any other reviews, or looking at a guide. I guess it helped me keep from the usual talking points, but like you said, I must have really blasted past a lot of game secrets. I may have to correct myself in my next episode of "The Game Correction".

You're completely correct in that I was reading from a script. I was always been more of a shy, introverted kid with a speech impediment. As a result, I always felt that my strength was in writing, so I'm using that as a bit of a crutch at the moment while I get used to speaking to a camera. The next video I shot is actually entirely improvised. Now I just have to edit the thing together and find a way to make it coherent! As far as exuding a false sense of confidence and charisma, you might be right. My strategy is to fake it 'til I make it.

I appreciate the time and thought you put into your critique, I try to take each bit of it to heart. And thanks for taking the time to watch it as well. :)

SuperDerek has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
SuperDerek
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Return to Shenmue