Sony Is Trying To Bring Shenmue To Playstation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Sony Is Trying To Bring Shenmue To Playstation

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:16 pm

http://kotaku.com/sonys-giant-list-of-v ... 1463345943

Imagine, if you will, a giant list. Maybe it's an Excel file. Or on a whiteboard somewhere in Sony's offices. Maybe it's written on index cards.

On that list is a ton of names that Sony has been compiling based on fan tweets and requests for three months now. Final Fantasy Type-0 is on there. So is Yakuza. And Shenmue. And many, many others, compiled when Sony's Giovanni Corsi started asking fans to submit requests.

Sony's goal: to bring as many of those games as possible to PlayStation platforms and, if they were never released outside of Japan, to bring those games West.

Schreier: With the caveat that this is all up in the air, this is all in negotiations, are there any that you guys have in mind that you would really like to bring over here?

Boyes: I think a lot—we get a ton of requests for Yakuza, a ton of requests for Shenmue. We see the lists. Like everything that people have tweeted Gio, literally we have a person that compiles those lists and prioritizes based on how many requests we've gotten. And I think to date there's well over 10,000 mentions across like forum threads and stuff like that. So those are the ones we're focused on

Schreier: That's good to hear. When you say that you're targeting games in Japan, you mentioned Yakuza, you mentioned Shenmue—those are older games. Are you looking at PSP games? Are you looking at PS3 games?

Boyes: You could imagine that every piece of content that's come to those platforms over in Japan, we're looking at bringing over. It's also a balance of like, is it gonna be commercially viable if there isn't some sort of HD remix, should it come just as the native version, should we port it up? And so those are conversations, again—I worked at Capcom, now I work with Sony, so this is my second Japanese company. It's about trust. And it takes a long time to have those conversations and make sure everyone feels comfortable, especially 'cause it's like, we haven't released it before in America, how's it gonna do and stuff like that.

So it's a long process. But I'm very hopeful. The whole reason we started the group is to bring great content that you love back over here.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Sony Is Trying To Bring Shenmue To Playstation

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Wow what a god send if Sony can pull it off and work with Sega on pushing them into it. This is the most optimistic news we`ve had in a while. Those HD up-ports are wanted and Sony has a whole team dedicated toward getting it in motion for us.
<3 Sony
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:34 pm

God... I can't believe what I'm reading. I hope this turns into a reality Shenmue 3 has been my most wanted thing in life ever.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby south carmain » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 pm

oh shit, we finally broke through
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:30 pm

holy freaking smokes! sony... get your ass on it naow!
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:42 am

Riku Rose wrote:Boyes: You could imagine that every piece of content that's come to those platforms over in Japan, we're looking at bringing over. It's also a balance of like, is it gonna be commercially viable if there isn't some sort of HD remix, should it come just as the native version, should we port it up? And so those are conversations.

Excellent. Please start with Shenmue HD collection..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:56 am

Seems all the voting and stuff actually payed off, if they think about bringing Shenmue to PlayStation.
This could finally be something... Let it happen!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ri_oh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:27 am

This is incredible. I was doubting anyone besides Yu would even mention Shenmue anymore. Sony, if you make this happen, you've sold me a PS4.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh

Postby Dicimania » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:06 pm

wow, if that happens I will immediately buy a ps4 (as otherwise I wouldnt buy any of the nextgen, maybe a wiiu).
So Sony if you bring Shenmue 3 to ps4 or ps3, youve sold 1 console more :D

But I am sure, if Sony brings Shenmue 3 to PS3 or 4, that will be a console seller defo.
Dicimania
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:49 pm

At the current price of $400 the PS4 is not on my radar at all. With an 8-week-old baby to feed I just can't part with that much money. However if Shenmue remakes or the sequel were officially announced I would purchase one immediately. There is no other franchise that I would do that for.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:53 pm

I'm on the same boat when it comes to the PS4. I currently have no real desire to purchase either of the two new machines but anything Shenmue on the PS4 would be a system seller for me!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:23 pm

#GiveSonyTheShenmueLicense

Crimson Ryan has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, ThyDarkAngel
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 pm

We probably should actually include that with every tweet for #giveyutheshenmuelicence... Whats it gonna hurt right? I wouldnt mind if it was completely striped from Sega's hands at this point. Just make the damn games.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Axm wrote: We probably should actually include that with every tweet for #giveyutheshenmuelicence... Whats it gonna hurt right? I wouldnt mind if it was completely striped from Sega's hands at this point. Just make the damn games.

Yeah, the way I look at it is that Sega is just a vehicle to Shenmue 3. And right now that vehicle is stalled. IP rights aside Sega isn't necessary to make the game. Yu and a willing developer/publisher are.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm really excited by this development. The sorts of games I wanted to see top the list did! Yakuza 5, Shenmue 3, Final Fantasy Type 0...god tier games. :eekyum:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Next

Return to Shenmue III