Shenmue mentioned in Sony's giant list of video games

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Shenmue mentioned in Sony's giant list of video games

Postby Ziming » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:47 pm

During Sony's big PS4 event in Manhattan, Kotaku chatted with Sony's Adam Boyes about what the folks behind PlayStation have planned for the future. He mentions both Shenmue and Yakuza as the most requested games. (Kotaku Article)

The Official Playstation Magazine (UK) is asking what game or series not yet announced for next-gen do you most want to see on PS4? The best answers go in issue 92, onsale 20 December. Send your answer now!

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue mentioned in Sony's giant list of video games

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm

I think Sony is our only hope to see Shenmue 3. I'm getting so hyped for this news.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Axm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:15 am

This is great news. In an era of profit profit profit we still have Sony keeping gamers at heart in their policies and investments. I hope they can push Sega into Shenmue again. Especially on PS4, it would be a dream come true.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:29 am

He's making a list, he's checking it twice..

The possibilities! =P~

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: shengoro86, Sonikku
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Come on Sony!!!
Don't go Sega on us!!!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby we420 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Is it safe to be hyped for this, because I wanna jump for joy and scream at the top my lungs, but I don't wanna let down again.
Hopefully since its SONY they'll actually stick by it. Six months is now feeling like 10 years.
we420
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Postby Monkeydude » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 pm

wow.

this actually made me re-register at these forums, after ages of absence. i actually intended to give up on shenmue a while ago, sold shenmue I, II and IIx along with the respective consoles and kind of moved on. only that i couldn't. every now and then i would look up "shenmue III" on the internet or have a quick look at shenmuedojo.com to see if anything has changed.. of course all i ever got was disappointment. yu suzuki repeating meaningless phrases of reassurence without any substance to them, claiming he "really wants to do shenmue III, he thinks he eventually might, the rights could be bought from sega, yada yada yada". i actually started to despise that guy quite a lot. i should probably feel sorry for him, but i really don't like the way he carelessly handles a topic hordes of fans are pretty serious about. then again, he actually might have gone crazy from all this, in that case of course he can't be blamed at all. he did seem kind of delusional during these interviews after all. at least to me.

anyway, this is probably THE best piece of news we ever got. the game is on sony's "list". and while it's much more likely for them to take care of localizing yakuza titles for western regions first, because that's an easier task to tackle, we now kind of know that they will probably at least ask sega what's going on with shenmue. they might discuss hd remakes, they might discuss a potential sequel. they might. and that is pretty damn awesome. sony is working on its image as a company that loves gamers and games alike. the love they show for the indies, the great but risky titles with little hope for commercial success they tend to release from time to time (puppeteer, tokyo jungle, etc.). a while ago sega stated that shenmue III might be possible if one of the big three (sony, microsoft, nintendo) financed it (didn't they?). i believe that this is more than just a mere glimmer of hope - it's a real, actual possibility. or am i mixing to much wishful thinking into this? i don't know. but this is making me happy. yay! :)
Monkeydude
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Puppeteer

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Fantastic news.

Sony is listening for a while now, and dropping those two in the same sentence is, at the same time, just being true to the facts but also not an innocent thing.

Sony' strategy for the PS4 really seems to be 'to meet demand', to give gamers and consumers what they want and ask for, and their big japanese exclusive is a Sega title so...

Get hype!

Sega was looking for a partner for Shenmue III not that long ago...

Still remain calm and expect a (kind of) long wait, even in the best case scenario.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Yama » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Monkeydude wrote: wow.

this actually made me re-register at these forums, after ages of absence. i actually intended to give up on shenmue a while ago, sold shenmue I, II and IIx along with the respective consoles and kind of moved on. only that i couldn't. every now and then i would look up "shenmue III" on the internet or have a quick look at shenmuedojo.com to see if anything has changed.. of course all i ever got was disappointment. yu suzuki repeating meaningless phrases of reassurence without any substance to them, claiming he "really wants to do shenmue III, he thinks he eventually might, the rights could be bought from sega, yada yada yada". i actually started to despise that guy quite a lot. i should probably feel sorry for him, but i really don't like the way he carelessly handles a topic hordes of fans are pretty serious about. then again, he actually might have gone crazy from all this, in that case of course he can't be blamed at all. he did seem kind of delusional during these interviews after all. at least to me.

anyway, this is probably THE best piece of news we ever got. the game is on sony's "list". and while it's much more likely for them to take care of localizing yakuza titles for western regions first, because that's an easier task to tackle, we now kind of know that they will probably at least ask sega what's going on with shenmue. they might discuss hd remakes, they might discuss a potential sequel. they might. and that is pretty damn awesome. sony is working on its image as a company that loves gamers and games alike. the love they show for the indies, the great but risky titles with little hope for commercial success they tend to release from time to time (puppeteer, tokyo jungle, etc.). a while ago sega stated that shenmue III might be possible if one of the big three (sony, microsoft, nintendo) financed it (didn't they?). i believe that this is more than just a mere glimmer of hope - it's a real, actual possibility. or am i mixing to much wishful thinking into this? i don't know. but this is making me happy. yay! :)

Glad to have you. I could only imagine what an official announcement would do to this place, haha.

I'm beyond glad to hear something, I really am, but after what we've dealt with I'll remain cautiously optimistic until solid details.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby darksniper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Cautious optimism is how I'm feeling here. BUT if we look at the facts, there is a decent possibility that Shenmue could return on Sony's console.

FACT: Yu Suzuki has stated that he believes that Sega will allow him to make the game.

FACT: He said this in front of the lead architect for the PS4

FACT: Said lead architect and Yu Suzuki are good friends

FACT: Sega has mentioned in the past they would be open to leasing Shenmue for console exclusivity

FACT: Now Sony mentions this news we're reading now.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. The chances of Shenmue returning this next generation are far better than it has been in years past. It's just all up to Sega to come up off of the IP.

darksniper has received a thanks from: nskachu
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BigTuna » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Holy shit! I've never been a Sony/PS fan, just my preference. But if I have to buy a PS4 for Shenmue. I will in a heartbeat! I really hope this is legitimate news!
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 pm

How ironic would it be if it ends up being SEGA's biggest rival during their Dreamcast days (when Shenmue was made) and therefore the one that some SEGA fans blame for the Dreamcast's demise that saves the Shenmue franchise. Oh sweet irony. :P

I'd like it to be the case, just so that those SEGA fans can finally get over it.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Even I am excited about this!

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Ahh this is the type of news I wanna hear. Didn't Sony say they had some announcements this week about some new games for the console? People hinted at a possible Naughty Dog game or summat?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Ren » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm

What? I'm pumped!
Ren
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: ToshiX1987
Currently playing: Don't have time anymore.

Next

Return to News and Updates