Ever see the NPC at the harbor with strange device on moped?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Ever see the NPC at the harbor with strange device on moped?

Postby johnvivant » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 am

There is a NPC with a white shirt riding a moped in harbour and he seems to have some kind of strange instrument (thing) on the back of his moped. i have never got a good look at this thing because he always seem to appear at a far distance in front of me and when i chase him he rides through to the inaccessable district (the one closest the bus stop that is being guarded by a helmet wearing dock worker, blue overalls, and florescent jacket.

he has a box on the back of his moped, and coming out from the top of this box is some kind of scaffolding-like polls. its looks like some kind of weather instrument, but i dont have a clue.

anyone know what i'm talking about

i saw him enter the inaccessable district at exactly 12pm. clear day on dec 10th wednesday, searching for wearhouse no. 8 part of the game

i remember i saw him in one of my playthoughs years ago, but i completely forgot about him until i saw him today. if anyone has a screenshot of this guy on his moped with the device on the back i would be interested to see what the hell it is.

considering i've been playing shenmue years for over 10 years and have only ever seen him twice i assume he has a very small time window for appearing

thank guys

edit.

ok he seems to appear around 12pm to enter that area consistently and he looks like a restaurant worker, with white chefs clothing.
the device on the back of his moped maybe to keep food warm or something while he delivers it. it 2 piston shaped objects suspended by
a frame above the box.

interesting.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Ever see the NPC at the harbor with strange device on mo

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 am

johnvivant wrote: There is a NPC with a white shirt riding a moped in harbour and he seems to have some kind of strange instrument (thing) on the back of his moped. i have never got a good look at this thing because he always seem to appear at a far distance in front of me and when i chase him he rides through to the inaccessable district (the one closest the bus stop that is being guarded by a helmet wearing dock worker, blue overalls, and florescent jacket.

he has a box on the back of his moped, and coming out from the top of this box is some kind of scaffolding-like polls. its looks like some kind of weather instrument, but i dont have a clue.

anyone know what i'm talking about

i saw him enter the inaccessable district at exactly 12pm. clear day on dec 10th wednesday, searching for wearhouse no. 8 part of the game

i remember i saw him in one of my playthoughs years ago, but i completely forgot about him until i saw him today. if anyone has a screenshot of this guy on his moped with the device on the back i would be interested to see what the hell it is.

considering i've been playing shenmue years for over 10 years and have only ever seen him twice i assume he has a very small time window for appearing

thank guys

edit.

ok he seems to appear around 12pm to enter that area consistently and he looks like a restaurant worker, with white chefs clothing.
the device on the back of his moped maybe to keep food warm or something while he delivers it. it 2 piston shaped objects suspended by
a frame above the box.

interesting.

Ramen delivery moped
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:51 am

Are you sure that's what he means? That's a pretty standard storage container thing. I'm sure all mopeds/motorbikes I have one. Apart from in films. It's not cool to have one for chase scenes.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Are you sure that's what he means? That's a pretty standard storage container thing. I'm sure all mopeds/motorbikes I have one. Apart from in films. It's not cool to have one for chase scenes.

it's not identical but it's similar, same moped style. it's hard to find one identical to the 80s. these are the closest I can find

south carmain has received 4 thanks from: BlueMue, Giorgio, johnvivant, Raithos
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby BlueMue » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:04 am

I have seens this before but I don't remember much more then it looking weird.
It wasn't the regular thing with a delivery box on the back. It had something on the back with rods and other weird stuff.

Too late... south carmain already cleared it up while I was writing this post. I guess those things that look like isolators from a power transformer are some kind of hanging suspension?
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:11 am

SpinDash wrote: I have seens this before but I don't remember much more then it looking weird.
It wasn't the regular thing with a delivery box on the back. It had something on the back with rods and other weird stuff.

Too late... south carmain already cleared it up while I was writing this post. I guess those things that look like isolators from a power transformer are some kind of hanging suspension?

I think they're to adjust pressure to avoid spillage
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen this before. Also, what I'm not sure of is seeing a dog peeing on the sidewalk and then later on a drunk guy stumbling around the bar district of dobuita at night time. I mean, it seemed so real but all the other times I've played, I haven't seen it again so I dunno.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:55 pm

south carmain wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: Are you sure that's what he means? That's a pretty standard storage container thing. I'm sure all mopeds/motorbikes I have one. Apart from in films. It's not cool to have one for chase scenes.

it's not identical but it's similar, same moped style. it's hard to find one identical to the 80s. these are the closest I can find

yep, thats it. i have never seen something like that before. i suppose it one of those things that is more common in the east. mopeds are also more popular there so makes sense.

so its a device for stabilising the storage box . interesting. does it have a name?

maybe i will try to upload an picture of it at some point, but it wont be good quality. if someone else wants to then feel free. thanks guys
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 am

johnvivant wrote: yep, thats it. i have never seen something like that before. i suppose it one of those things that is more common in the east. mopeds are also more popular there so makes sense.

so its a device for stabilising the storage box . interesting. does it have a name?

maybe i will try to upload an picture of it at some point, but it wont be good quality. if someone else wants to then feel free. thanks guys

That device is called "demae-ki," that means "delivery machine/device." You can buy one, if you're interested. ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-langu ... uage=en_JP

The big springs are shock absorbers which prevent soup from spilling while delivering soup noodles, like soba or ramen. Certain noodles are delivered in bowls filled with soup in Japan, so they need such device.

Kiyuu has received 4 thanks from: BlueMue, Giorgio, johnvivant, Radar
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 am

Shenmue always has something new to learn about Japanese culture. It's awesome!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:53 am

I miss Japan. Only country where a delivery service actually brings real dishes and bowls made of ceramic, not some plastic crap like in Germany...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:06 am

We just get polystyrene boxes. If we're lucky. Most of the time it's paper.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:09 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: We just get polystyrene boxes. If we're lucky. Most of the time it's paper.

For takeaway? Don't you Mancs get plastic and silver foil tubs like the other more affluent areas of England?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:38 am

Noodles occasionally come in plastic boxes, but most of the time they're aluminium trays or polystyrene. If it's a pie, chips, sausage, spring roll, etc. though, it just comes in paper.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:50 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Noodles occasionally come in plastic boxes, but most of the time they're aluminium trays or polystyrene. If it's a pie, chips, sausage, spring roll, etc. though, it just comes in paper.

Curry?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue