Chi you men boss of the bosses??

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Chi you men boss of the bosses??

Postby johnvivant » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:28 pm

didn't want to start a new topic so i'll ask here:

i remember there was discussion regarding the part in shen 2 when you are looking for chunyan (cute girl fighter with cow boy hat, very dishy) and you go to the fortune teller on dragon street who tells you something like ' this person (chunyan) is in sin with the black snake tortoise of the north.'

can't remember what people thought about it. was it anything to do with Tentei? if anyone has links to that post would appreciate it.

thanks guys
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:12 pm

The fortune telling is only a vague hint where you can find her. It's purely geographically because the Black Heaven Bldg is in the north of Kowloon and Chunyan could be considered the nothern fighter of the bunch. The animal isn't hinted but black and north do match. Rod is the Phoenix (Phoenix Bldg.), Greg is the Dragon (Blue Dragon Garden) and then there is Baihu who is the Tiger. The area you fight him in was actually supposed to be called Tiger Gate Bldg during developement (there is a left over load screen afair).

Shenmue loves the legend of the four heavenly beasts and it's repesented in quite a few situations.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, nskachu
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:49 pm

SpinDash wrote: The fortune telling is only a vague hint where you can find her. It's purely geographically because the Black Heaven Bldg is in the north of Kowloon and Chunyan could be considered the nothern fighter of the bunch. The animal isn't hinted but black and north do match. Rod is the Phoenix (Phoenix Bldg.), Greg is the Dragon (Blue Dragon Garden) and then there is Baihu who is the Tiger. The area you fight him in was actually supposed to be called Tiger Gate Bldg during developement (there is a left over load screen afair).

Shenmue loves the legend of the four heavenly beasts and it's repesented in quite a few situations.

thanks for reply, i thought that it may have been just a hint at the location within the city, but the way she phrased it ' in sin with' i was imagining a deeper meaning (maybe she angered the chiyoumen leader of the north)

for years now i thought tentei was the leader of the north (black snake tortoise), but from going back over the old theory posts it seems tentei is a completly seperate boss over and above the others. is that right?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:54 pm

johnvivant wrote:...it seems tentei is a completly seperate boss over and above the others. is that right?

Yes, that's absolutely right. Yu Suzuki actually confirmed this in an interview a few months ago.

http://youtu.be/OgbkkLIT-Mo?t=11m
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:06 pm

is it me or does Suzuki when refering to tentei draw with his hands the 4 compass directions and try to clasp the northing part of it? infering that tentei is the northern boss?

there was some kind of hierachy in his mind for the bosses that he was visualising which he tried to indicate with his hands. difficult to tell

the northern leader could still be the highest level boss i suppose.

edit:

just to be clearer what i am asking is:

are there 4 main bosses - north (tentei), south (niao sun) east (Lan di) and west (ziming)

or

is tentei seperate from the compass direction bosses (5 overall bosses) leaving northern boss as complete mystery apart from the his silhouete in that one image released by dev team.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:28 am

johnvivant wrote:just to be clearer what i am asking is:

are there 4 main bosses - north (tentei), south (niao sun) east (Lan di) and west (ziming)

or

is tentei seperate from the compass direction bosses (5 overall bosses) leaving northern boss as complete mystery apart from the his silhouete in that one image released by dev team.

Apparently, Tentei, the Emperor of Heaven, is not one of the Four leaders. There seems to be some variations in Chinese mythology, but you can get a rough idea from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols_(China)

Tentei is the Yellow Dragon of the Center. Remember the Yellow Head building in Kowloon is surrounded by the other four "compass direction" buildings.

Kiyuu has received 3 thanks from: BlueMue, DreamcastPast, Giorgio
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:29 am

or

Apparently, Tentei, the Emperor of Heaven, is not one of the Four leaders. There seems to be some variations in Chinese mythology, but you can get a rough idea from this:

Tentei is the Yellow Dragon of the Center. Remember the Yellow Head building in Kowloon is surrounded by the other four "compass direction" buildings.

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate due to a submission issue. Delete this, please.
Last edited by Kiyuu on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby johnvivant » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:16 am

Kiyuu wrote:

or

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate due to a submission issue. Delete this, please.

thanks for the clarification kiyuu.

i have another question but again i don't want to start a new topic- maybe you could help me since you know japanese.

not sure whether its ever been discussed, its regarding the bad ending of shen 2

in the english subtitled version lan di says to shenhua ' i will take your power for the CHIYOUMEN'
but in the english spoken version land di says ' i will take your power for the CHIYOU'

wonder if it was a translation error.

i suppose chiyou makes more sense since we know that its a some kind of supernatural entity. but then again the chiyoumen leaders (at least some of them) might have minor supernatural powers.

some might see this as only minor importance, since to empower the chiyou is equivalent of empowering the chiyoumen. anyway a clarification would be great.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:24 am

johnvivant wrote:thanks for the clarification kiyuu.

It's my pleasure! :D

johnvivant wrote:i have another question but again i don't want to start a new topic- maybe you could help me since you know japanese.

not sure whether its ever been discussed, its regarding the bad ending of shen 2

in the english subtitled version lan di says to shenhua ' i will take your power for the CHIYOUMEN'
but in the english spoken version land di says ' i will take your power for the CHIYOU'

wonder if it was a translation error.

i suppose chiyou makes more sense since we know that its a some kind of supernatural entity. but then again the chiyoumen leaders (at least some of them) might have minor supernatural powers.

some might see this as only minor importance, since to empower the chiyou is equivalent of empowering the chiyoumen. anyway a clarification would be great.

Lan Di clearly says "Shiyuu" in Japanese, which means Chiyou, not Chiyoumen. Translation error, most likely.

Kiyuu has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for further info on the four symbols, Kiyuu. I didn't know yet that the center is a yellow dragon and that even that matches up with the building in Kowloon. But yeah, Tentei is definately the boss above the other four bosses and I'm sure that's what Yu Suzuki ment with his gesture.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 am

SpinDash wrote: Thanks for further info on the four symbols, Kiyuu. I didn't know yet that the center is a yellow dragon and that even that matches up with the building in Kowloon. But yeah, Tentei is definately the boss above the other four bosses and I'm sure that's what Yu Suzuki ment with his gesture.

You're quite welcome!

We've talked about Tentei repeatedly in the past, just like you see in the following topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15095

Kiyuu has received 3 thanks from: BlueMue, Giorgio, johnvivant
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby johnvivant » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 am

Kiyuu wrote:
SpinDash wrote: Thanks for further info on the four symbols, Kiyuu. I didn't know yet that the center is a yellow dragon and that even that matches up with the building in Kowloon. But yeah, Tentei is definately the boss above the other four bosses and I'm sure that's what Yu Suzuki ment with his gesture.

You're quite welcome!

We've talked about Tentei repeatedly in the past, just like you see in the following topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15095

that master baihu thread should be included with the shenmue preview/ research sticky at the top.
clears up the whole tentei chiyoumen heirarchy questions. and some ok theories as well.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to Shenmue III