Shenmue In The Media

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue In The Media

Postby Giorgio » Thu May 08, 2014 6:31 pm

5 games that need a crowdfunded reboot or sequel

Shenmue is mentioned as one of them:
Toronto Sun wrote:
phpBB [video]

Long before open-world games were a genre unto themselves, this legendary Sega Dreamcast title gave us a detailed digital recreation of Yokosuka, Japan, to explore at will.

Shenmue II continued the saga in Hong Kong, and creator Yu Suzuki is said to be considering crowdfunding to make the long, LONG-awaited Shenmue III a reality. Do it!

Shenmue supporters, guess what, there is a poll to vote about "Which of these games would you most want to see a remake of or sequel to?" VOTE FOR SHENMUE! :D

P.S.: Yes, that video in that article is from xhizors92. Way to go, man!
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Giorgio » Tue May 27, 2014 2:55 pm

The Shaun Method - Shenmue (Dreamcast)

Gamespot wrote:Shaun returns to The Hazuki Dojo and guides Ryo Hazuki in his battle with the Mad Angels gang. Just how much trouble could he possibly get in to? Join the chat, and give him your suggestions!
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:08 am

A french national video game magazine has published a retrogaming review of Shenmue this month in its 11th issue written by someone who has never played it before, amazed by the reputation of the game.

I have not been able to scan as I only read it in the shop but the article has itself nothing particular anyway. It's only focused on two pages but was covered as one of the three biggest features of the issue by the magazine promotion, demonstrating how Shenmue is still well considered in a country where Shenmue has never been translated (terrible decision by Sega) and where Dreamcast and Xbox sales were very confidential.

The article is pretty well written and mainly focused on the the art essence and the gameplay mechanics. Among the positive remarks, the writer is impressed by the radical approach of life routine, surprised by the quality of QTEs, qualifies the game as an "anti-AAA" and finishes his article by describing the beautiful end of the game.

The weaknesses have also been mentioned like the linearity or the abusive use of "go to point C before to go to point B awaiting to go to point A".

The only thing that has annoyed me is when he talked about Shenmue as a bad selling game which I still think it's a cliche.

Well, it's always a pleasure to see Shenmue still alive in the local medias.

Title translation : Shenmue, the UFO from Japan

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Giorgio » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:45 pm

Will Morton has a loftier ambition: "I would love to work on bringing Shenmue back to life," he says. "I'm genuinely a big fan of Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast and Shenmue 2 on the Xbox. I would love be able to help re-envisage that for the next gen."

Read the article to find out who is Will Morton: eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-25-the-reality-is-were-not-really-interesting

Giorgio has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 pm

I think yu Suzuki needs to have lunch with this guy! if he has a twitter its time to spam it or just spam rockstar in general. rockstar money and talent can achieve this!

edit; ok just read the whole article turns out Morton no longer works at rockstar so might not be all that helpful after all. nice mention for Shenmue though.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to Shenmue