Fantasy Elements in Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Fantasy Elements in Shenmue III

Postby we420 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm not if this has already been covered but what if Shenmue III had the fantasy elements featured in Shenmue Online. Would you guys be turned off by the idea of doing "Kamahamehas" in Shenmue III? The end of Shenmue II did have some magical stuff in it. I'm just wondering what you guys think about it.
we420
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Re: Fantasy Elements in Shenmue III

Postby The_Intruder » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't think the magical elements in Shenmue 3 will be that exaggerated like in Shenmue online. Maybe by the end of Shenmue 3 we will see like a Dragon and a Phoenix. It's hard to say how the game is going to turn out, actually. If they introduce the magic little by little with some explanation it won't bother me to see it.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Both games have had magical things in them. Ryo has visions of Shenhua in the first game , so it's pretty clear that he has some psychic abilities. As the game prolonged, the magic elements became more evident. It sets you into a realistic world and slowly introduces you to the fantastical. It doesn't come right out and say that they're visions or that the mirrors have magical properties, but it's actually pretty straightforward if you think about it logically.

(Spoilers)*A Song of Ice and Fire* also does this, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. Magic, but realistic.

Now, I don't think that Shenmue would have evolved or will evolve into what Shenmue Online appeared to be but things like a magic sword that increases strength, mirrors that let people look into/travel to the past, and trees that grant visions into the future are to be expected, in my opinion.

The mirrors could also be metaphors for looking into ones SELF. A mirror shows Ryo that he is a dragon, and the sword is the flame. It potentially could allow him to actually transform into one.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:04 pm

I'd personaly hate it if Shenmue III would go as far as Shenmue Online did. That's just too much, no matter how you look at it.
If I could choose I'd like Shenmue to have no supernatural element at all. The games just put so much focus on creating a realistic world that I honestly don't like that stuff in Shenmue. I don't really mind the stuff that happens at the end of Shenmue II anymore but the first few times it really made me cringe.

I hope they don't go overboard in the further chapters. As long as they have good explanations why Shenmue has powers and that the mirrors have some mysterious force I'm happy. They really could've went without the floating sword though...

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Nahovil
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:07 pm

I'd personaly hate it if Shenmue III would go as far as Shenmue Online did. That's just too much, no matter how you look at it.
If I could choose I'd like Shenmue to have no supernatural element at all. The games just put so much focus on creating a realistic world that I honestly don't like that stuff in Shenmue. I don't really mind the stuff that happens at the end of Shenmue II anymore but the first few times it really made me cringe.

I hope they don't go overboard in the further chapters. As long as they have good explanations why Shenmue has powers and that the mirrors have some mysterious force I'm happy. They really could've went without the floating sword though...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby R3N » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I doubt shenmue would go as far as allow "magic" or ki energy in the combat system since shenmue is after all a virtua fighter RPG and virtua magic has no magic or ki skills that I am aware of.
But yes magic was intended in the story even before they made the game since in the project berkley trailer you can see Senhua using magic or Ki based powers.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Fenix » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Ki projection. Maybe something like menthal powers. Or even more mystic; total ki control of their bodies. That means huge explosive movements that can kill with one hit. Just like Lan Di killed Iwao.

That 3rd theory is my closest vision from reality.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:38 pm

pretty sure its going to be implemented into future games. Suzuki looked over Shenmue Online as well, and he knew what he wanted. There was a floating sword in SII for godsakes. Deff gonna see more.

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:19 am

Don't think we would ever see Ryo shooting fireballs but the thought of Shenhua and Lan Di having a magical battle with a Giant Phoenix and Dragon is a scary one and I hope that was just for the Online trailer.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:23 am

I wouldn't be too keen on fireballs either, but I'd be more than happy with the sky fight between the dragon and phoenix as a climactic scene that they build up to with the same patience and restraint as the other magical elements that have been introduced so far.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:32 pm

I dont mind the fantasy elements as long as Yu Suzuki includes them in his original story and it wasnt forced upon him to do so.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Nahovil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 pm

BlueMue wrote:If I could choose I'd like Shenmue to have no supernatural element at all. The games just put so much focus on creating a realistic world that I honestly don't like that stuff in Shenmue. I don't really mind the stuff that happens at the end of Shenmue II anymore but the first few times it really made me cringe.

Floating sword is a taboo subject. If the Saga does resume, hopefully, as far as I'm concerned, this scene will only remain as some sort of hyperbolical symbolic event.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ziming » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:43 am

I don't mind the fantasy slowing coming into play in the story. But I will roll my eyes if Lan Di and Shenhua start riding mythical beasts in the sky like horses. You know kinda like that weird white dog creature from never ending story.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:03 pm

Ziming wrote:You know kinda like that weird white dog creature from never ending story.

Weird white dragon creature from Space Harrier would be more fitting anyways. :lol:

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AhmedHazuki » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:12 pm

All I know about the fantasy elements in Shenmue is the ending and some CGI from project berkley trailer. The only elements in Shenmue III Yu Suzuki Spoke of was the Choice elements kind of like the Bioware games we see now adays. Maybe there won't be much fantasy as Ryo might be chasing the second mirror and maybe until then there will be superpowers and stuff....
AhmedHazuki
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: ahmedhazuki
Currently playing: Infamous,Darksiders.

Next

Return to Shenmue III