SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY)

(Modding and other series related projects)

SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY)

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 am

Yooooooo Dojo.

The Shenmue holiday special is finally in a decent state for others to play. This Demo was supposed to be released on Christmas day....however there were some serious game breaking bugs that took a while to fix. (better late than never)

READ THIS THREAD CAREFULLY TO AVOID RUNNING INTO PROBLEMS..... AND TO HAVE THE GAME RUN SMOOTHLY.

Origins Of The Game

For the past couple of weeks, I have been investigating a visual novel application known as ren'py. I have a keen interest in this engine, as I would like to one day import my own artwork into its system and create an independent title. However, since most of my drawings are not on my computer, I thought i'd use Shenmue images in it's replacement whilst i learn the language.

This game is very simple and not very deep, as it was something I just threw together whilst learning ren'py. Throughout the game, you will see a lot of unusual events that may NOT seem very "Shenmuish". Again, this is because I was trying different aspects out within the ren'py engine. Dont expect nothing groundbreaking

SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY) Beta V1.01

PLOT

After dealing with the Mad Angels, Ryo prepares himself for his long awaited trip to Hong Kong. The following day, he learns that Nozomi has been kidnapped again! Ryo teams up with 4 of his friends in order to rescue her. Can he find Nozomi before he has to leave the country?

This will be a 30 - 45 minute game featuring some of our favorite Shenmue characters. The story will take place after the 70 man battle, and be an alternative take on how Shenmue 1 ended.

FAQS

What Are The Controls?

The game is played with the mouse.
1) Left click = continues to the next section
2) right click = access menu (save , load, options, full-screen/window etc)

How Do I Play This Game

Read the dialog on the screen. Whenever you see the blinking arrow, left click to continue. At some points you will be asked to make choices. Choose carefully :)

How Many Endings Does This Game Have?

The game has 2 endings......one good, and one bad. It will be interesting to see which one you guys get lol.

This Game Contains To Much Text And Is Boring

That's visual games for you. You either love them or hate them. I recommend taking your time with the game. Read carefully and slowly.....and don't rush through it.

Spelling And Grammar Mistakes.

Yep, I'm aware of most of the mistakes. But this is a Beta/Demo, so it does have its fair share of issues. This will be fixed in the final version. Unfortunately, I don't have the time at the moment to proof read everything.

Some Images Are Medium To Low Quality?

Most of the game has fairly decent images. However, in some instances, there are medium to low quality pictures. This is mainly seen with Nagashima and Eri. This will be fixed in the final version.

My Screen Resolution Doesn't Support This Game?

This game was created in a 800 x 600 format. If you encounter black borders on either side of the screen, adjust your screen resolution on the desktop (right click on desktop and press on properties or screen resolution).

Can I Play This In Fullscreen?

You can, but you will more than likely notice the low quality images and bad sprite rips. I recommend playing in window mode if you're a graphics or perfectionist whore. :) To run in fullscreen mode, right click to access the options menu, click on preferences, and click full screen. (You must have a fairly decent direct x driver installed, otherwise the game will crash when going fullscreen)

The Game's Font Doesn't Work On My Computer

This game uses the "Arlrdbd" font. Download it here and follow the instructions on the site to install the font.
http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

I've Encountered An Error

Refer to the FAQs or send me a PM.

You've Included My Work And Given Me A Shoutout

There are various shout-outs and nods to some dojo members and youtubers in the game........mainly when Ryo goes to sleep. I did this out of respect, as i wanted this to be a community project for everyone on the dojo. If you have a problem with the inclusion of your work, let me no and I'll get rid of it.

Thanks For The Shoutout

No problem. Keep up the awesome work.

Why Didn't I Have A Shoutout?

Everyone on the dojo will get a shoutout in the final game.

Thanks For Making This

No problem. This is my Christmas present to the Shenmue Community

Where Are The Fight Scenes?

There are no fight scenes in the demo. Wait for the fullgame.

This Game Sucks, You Suck

Love you to. Remember, this is something I just threw together. It's not suppose to be taken seriously. Hopefully next year, we can all work on a game together to make it extra awesome.

Distribution

Please do not share the links or reupload them. Link people to this thread. This is a Beta test for hardcore shenmue fans to try out, enjoy, and give feedback in order to make the final product amazing. Please respect these terms.

What Do You Still Need To Work On?

Ha, tons of stuff. sprites, scripts, grammar checks, importing a Shenmue user interface, audio, fight scenes, extra characters, animation, intro, ending etc. This is nowhere near finished.

When's The Final Version?

For those who actually enjoyed the game, the final version will be much MUCH bigger. (New areas, characters, sequences, fight scenes, voice clips, choices, UI etc) The game will go past Shenmue 1.... and on to a certain ship :)
Final version coming 2014.

Have You Got Any Other Projects Like This?

I have many different Shenmue Demo's, but this was the only one that was in a half decent state

How Can I Say Thank You And Support Shenmue

1)Give this thread a thumbs up and thank you
2)Buy the Ryo Hazuki first four figure statue
3)Buy Ryo DLC in sonic racing transformed
4)Buy Shenmue clothing from insertcoin
5)join TeamYu.net to save Shenmue
6)Sign up to the ShenmueDojo, ShenmueMaster Website.
7)Subscribe to ziming and AdamKoralik's youtube channels.

How to install The Game

1) First install the Arlrdbd font. Download here http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

Unzip font

Windows XP Font Install:
Drag arlrdbd.ttf into C:\Windows\Fonts - The font will automatically install.

- Windows 7/Vista Font Install:
Right click arlrdbd.ttf and then click "Install".

2)Download the base file here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pwoaa5vxsnw28wa/Project+Shen+Base+File.zip

3)Download the sound/image file here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a5gck80wtvgd7yz/Project+Shen+Sound+and+Pics.zip

4)Extract base file (winrar, winzip)

5)Extract sound/image file (winrar , winzip)

6)The extracted sound and image file should be called "archive.rpa". copy this to the game directory of the basefile.
(Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo-all/game/PLACE ARCHIVE FILE HERE)

7)Double click the Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo application icon in the main directory.

Enjoy.

@ShenmueTree, I can't wait to try out Project Sekai. It's where my original inspiration came from. :king:

I hope all you guys have an awesome XMAS holiday, and a fantastic new year. Hopefully we get more Shenmue news in 2014. :)

Giorgio Let's play of the game

Part 1
phpBB [video]

Part 2
phpBB [video]

Enjoy
Last edited by ShenSun on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 16 times in total.

ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: PROJECT XMAS 2013 DEMO RELEASED.....FINALLY!!

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you for this!

I cant wait to play it when I'm off of work!

/james

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: ShenSun
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: PROJECT XMAS 2013 DEMO RELEASED.....FINALLY!!

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:57 pm

shengoro86 wrote: Thank you for this!

I cant wait to play it when I'm off of work!

/james

Thanks man. Be sure to let me no your thoughts on the game once you've finished it.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: SHENMUE XMAS SPECIAL DOWNLOAD.....FINALLY!!

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:56 pm

No problem!

I also shared it out to the Shenmue Facebook Group so you get some extra notice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shenmue ... tif_t=like

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: ShenSun
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Axm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Fantastic. I just got rid of my PC but ill try and play it soon.

Axm has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby DreamcastPast » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:41 pm

I just got the bad ending on my first playthrough!

There has really been a lot of work put into this,
*spoiler*
*I like the appearance of the 'Unknown' person that gets you checking the Heavenly Beasts compass and really liked the friends all getting together for the Christmas party*
nice artwork and familiar music, thanks for uploading it for us all to enjoy...

Just some positive feedback; I know this is a beta, and a good one at that, however the appearance of the name checks throughout the game rather than at the end, break the atmosphere for me a bit. Definitely enjoyed it though, great to see someone actually complete a project, will try for the good ending next time.

Would be good to see Chapter 2 'The Boat'... :)

DreamcastPast has received a thanks from: ShenSun
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm

DreamcastPast wrote: I just got the bad ending on my first playthrough!

There has really been a lot of work put into this,
I like the appearance of the 'Unknown' person that gets you checking the Heavenly Beasts compass
nice artwork and familiar music, thanks for uploading it for us all to enjoy...

Just some positive feedback; I know this is a beta, and a good one at that, however the appearance of the name checks throughout the game rather than at the end, break the atmosphere for me a bit. Definitely enjoyed it though, great to see someone actually complete a project, will try for the good ending next time.

Would be good to see Chapter 2 'The Boat'... :)

Thanks a bunch for playing the game and giving feedback.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you beat?

In regards to Chapter 2, I was actually going to tease something at the end of the game. I chose to leave it out however, as I am not 100% sure as to when it will be released. I don't want to make any false promises.

Only the hardcore Shenmue fans will know about the Unknown person......which i'm hoping will be everyone :)

Glad you enjoyed it.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DreamcastPast » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:12 pm

I kinda lost track of the time, which is a good sign, so I'm guessing 40 mins possibly, I had to switch laptops... started it on my old Windows XP but about 5 mins in I got the blue screen of death, so changed to my Windows 7 64bit where it ran perfectly. Just finished Shenmue 1 and am playing through Shenmue II at the moment, made me want to go back to replay Shenmue 1 :)
DreamcastPast

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Rakim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:27 pm

I got the freaking bad ending. I'll have to try again tomorrow. It was fun, though. Thanks for your work ShenSun!

Rakim has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Radar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm

It took me about 50 min to finish it. I Get bad ending then loaded last save and get Good ending, altough I don't qute understand the logic of how to get each of them ->
Basically, if you don't go on a date with Nozomi, Ryo doesn't want to meet her again and than he won't meet Lan Di, right?

Anyway, as I said before I alrady liked it, but... I don't know yet, I'll write here later :D Happy New Year!

Radar has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Rakim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Radar wrote: It took me about 50 min to finish it. I Get bad ending then loaded last save and get Good ending, altough I don't qute understand the logic of how to get each of them ->
Basically, if you don't go on a date with Nozomi, Ryo doesn't want to meet her again and than he won't meet Lan Di, right?

Anyway, as I said before I alrady liked it, but... I don't know yet, I'll write here later :D Happy New Year!

I thought it had to do with what wish you picked.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for playing guys.

In regards to the bad ending............who knows \:D/

If you figure it out, i ask that you hold off on posting the conditions to activate each ending.........Just until everyone has a chance to go through the game (with no prior knowledge)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Radar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 pm

ShenSun wrote: Thanks for playing guys.

In regards to the bad ending............who knows \:D/

If you figure it out, i ask that you hold off on posting the conditions to activate each ending.........Just until everyone has a chance to go through the game (with no prior knowledge)

Ok, anyway, I think I was wrong about what I worte in that spoiler and probably found a real condition or maybe conditions? Image Image Image
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenSun » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

just found this whilst doing my daily Shenmue browse.

http://proximonivel.pt/shenmue-xmas-special-e-um-jogo-fan-made/

Pretty cool.

Thanks to whoever owns that site :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: SHENMUE XMAS SPECIAL GAME

Postby nskachu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:00 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the best game I've played in a while. Maybe not because of what it actually is but because a big fan put so much effort into something he likes. I really enjoyed it so much. It is mostly authentic but you can also make decisions that differ from ryo's personality. Awe...Some. I don't if the ending I got is good or bad but it's great. Some grammar and spelling mistakes but that makes it more lovely. You've got my respect, Sir. It took me like an hour but i don't know for sure. Well, I'm gonna try my best to get the other ending.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Next

Return to Community Projects