SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY)

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: SHENMUE XMAS SPECIAL GAME

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 am

nskachu wrote: THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the best game I've played in a while. Maybe not because of what it actually is but because a big fan put so much effort into something he likes. I really enjoyed it so much. It is mostly authentic but you can also make decisions that differ from ryo's personality. Awe...Some. I don't if the ending I got is good or bad but it's great. Some grammar and spelling mistakes but that makes it more lovely. You've got my respect, Sir. It took me like an hour but i don't know for sure. Well, I'm gonna try my best to get the other ending.

Thanks man. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Judging from your comments, I'm pretty sure you got the good ending. If you got the bad ending, you would definitely know about it. :D

When creating the choices that Ryo could make, I was constantly dying of laughter...........especially when he speaks to Eri lol.

I wanted to give the choices variety, so that players could either stick to Ryo's true personality, or go in the complete opposite direction, and just have fun with it.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy that my game was able to capture a little bit of that Shenmue magic.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby nskachu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:49 am

Yes that's the Shenmue magic I missed for so long. Btw i just noticed that Megumi says "I won't" when Ryo says "Take care of yourself" Nice hahahaha
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 am

I just played through it and I really enjoyed it. To me it wasn't boring at all as I really wanted to know how things turn out.
I got the bad ending, will have to play the game from start again and see what I can do different.

Great choices of music, screenshots and artworks that really gave a nice atmosphere to it. Really good work here, I look forward to future versions of this game and further episodes. :D
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:50 pm

SpinDash wrote: I just played through it and I really enjoyed it. To me it wasn't boring at all as I really wanted to know how things turn out.
I got the bad ending, will have to play the game from start again and see what I can do different.

Great choices of music, screenshots and artworks that really gave a nice atmosphere to it. Really good work here, I look forward to future versions of this game and further episodes. :D

Thanks SpinDash.

Spoiler
I purposely made it so that most of you would get the bad ending. When you realize the conditions to trigger it, I'm sure you will see why many people keep going down this path compare to the good route.

If you do figure it out, hold off from saying anything for now, just so everyone can go throughout it with no prior knowledge.

@nskachu, The "I won't" speech for megumi was an error on my part. It was suppose to say "I will". hilarious when looking back at it. :)

Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully, somewhere down the road, I'll be able to release some other Shenmue demos for you guys to enjoy.
Last edited by ShenSun on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:05 pm

You were inspired by me, now I am inspired by you. Funny how that works. :D

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: ShenSun
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm

I played through the game again and now recieved the good ending. Did virtually all choices different but I think I know what causes the ending to change. If I think about it, it actually makes sense that bad is about to happen if you choose that option. :lol:

BlueMue has received a thanks from: ShenSun
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BigTuna » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Fuck yeah! I got the good ending on my first play through! Really great job, man. Major kudos to you for making this. Wish I was able to play it on X-Mas day, but I'm glad I got around to it.

BigTuna has received a thanks from: ShenSun
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:04 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: You were inspired by me, now I am inspired by you. Funny how that works. :D

Haha, awesome.

I can't wait for project Sekai. It looks like it will have a very strong narrative. This is something I would like to learn, as I wish to get into storytelling in the future.

Also, the animated backgrounds and weather effects are EPIC!!!!!

It looks like the engine that you are using has a lot more freedom and resources.

Either way, Shenmue fans are in for a real treat over the next few months. 2 visual novels, on 2 different engines, by 2 different developers. It's going to be fantastic.

Thanks for checking out my project.

@BigTuna. Thanks for your kind words and for playing the game. Congrats on getting the good ending. :)

@Spindash :mrgreen:
Last edited by ShenSun on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: BigTuna
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:25 pm

It keeps crashing! :( shortly after the alarm starts to ring for the first time, it crashes a lot.

I've had this sort of problem with Ren'py before. I think it might be my comp. :sad:
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:55 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: It keeps crashing! :( shortly after the alarm starts to ring for the first time, it crashes a lot.

I've had this sort of problem with Ren'py before. I think it might be my comp. :sad:

have you installed the latest direct x drivers? Also what is your operating system?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Windows Vista, unfortunately... and on a 2007 craptop, no less.

I've the latest drivers for Vista, checked dxdiag and everything. I had trouble with another Ren'Py based Visual Novel a while ago (but on a different PC.) I think it was Analouge: A Hate Story. I'll see if I can get it to work on another PC when I get to it.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:41 pm

I've heard that renpy does have some issues with vista. Try updating your graphic card drivers? If that fails, try and boot the game off another account, or in safe mode.

I'll look into it further and hopefully have a solution for you soon.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Switch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:27 am

Just had a play through and it's awesome! The dialogue really keeps true to the each of the characters and their personalities.

By the way, in case anyone else runs into the same problem: after initial installation, on my old XP machine the game crashed immediately on pressing Start Game from the main menu, even though the fonts file was installed properly in C:\Windows\Fonts. I was able to fix it up by putting a copy of the font file in the following game directory: Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo-all\renpy\common.

ShenSun, if you are wanting someone to proof-read the story text for grammar etc, I'd be happy to help.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenSun » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 am

Switch wrote: Just had a play through and it's awesome! The dialogue really keeps true to the each of the characters and their personalities.

By the way, in case anyone else runs into the same problem: after initial installation, on my old XP machine the game crashed immediately on pressing Start Game from the main menu, even though the fonts file was installed properly in C:\Windows\Fonts. I was able to fix it up by putting a copy of the font file in the following game directory: Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo-all\renpy\common.

ShenSun, if you are wanting someone to proof-read the story text for grammar etc, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you for playing, and welcome to the Dojo.

I'll definitely message you for proof-reading purposes once the game is fully complete.

Thanks for the font tip. I'll update the FAQ.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby wude » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Great job ShenSun, the game has the vibe of shenmue, the music is of course awesome
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects