Shenmue NEOGAF Thread #SaveShenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue NEOGAF Thread #SaveShenmue

Postby ShenSun » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:10 pm

There's no doubt that Shenmue is somewhat of a hot topic at the moment. We need to maintain this pressure as much as possible throughout 2014.

We NEED a Neogaf thread promoting the #SaveShenmue campaign.

This will give us A TON of momentum. I propose that we find someone willing to create such a thread, and ask them to bump the post every month to keep the topic active.

UPDATE:

We now have a thread. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762839
Last edited by ShenSun on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: shengoro86
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue NeoGaf Thread #SaveShenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 pm

If it helps at all, here's a draft post I recently wrote for just such a proposed thread, which I don't think was ever posted due to the hurdles NeoGAF puts up to deter new memberships:

Thread title: Monthly campaign: #SaveShenmue

Greetings, Gaffers!

Many of you have heard the recent rumblings about Shenmue, and the possibility that Sony may actually bring this abandoned series to Playstation platforms.

Abandoned by Sega, that is. Not its fans, which have been campaigning for over a decade to have this franchise revived and concluded, resolving the unforgettable cliffhanger on which we left Ryo Hazuki, on his quest to find Lan Di and avenge his father's murder.

The latest and possibly most effective form of campaigning has been the monthly Shenmue Tweetathon, which has seen more and more gamers converge upon social media every 3rd of the month to express their desire for Shenmue on a public stage. The most recent event reached an audience of around 3 million on Twitter alone, and this co-ordinated approach to routine appealing has been instrumental in bringing Shenmue to the attention of Sony, as well as steering the united fanbase towards opportunities like overwhelming responses to magazine polls and surveys, raising Shenmue's media profile.

With the current buzz around this game, and any potential deal between Sony and Sega shrouded in uncertainty, the cause needs your help now more than ever. The "Shenmue Postmortem" seminar scheduled for GDC 2014 has many excited at the prospect of a blockbuster announcement from Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny, but this is by no means guaranteed and fans must continue to keep Shenmue relevant in Sony's minds and maintain the pressure for an announcement to be made.

To participate, you don't have to remember to post on January 3rd, as the process is made even easier by pre-loading your messages via Thunderclap or IFTTT. These frequently used services will automatically release all of their stored tweets on users' behalf during the event itself, creating a simultaneous blast of social media support for the resurgence of Shenmue. With enough sign-ups, we can even make the hashtag trend, just as Shenmue III trended following a trademark hoax a few weeks ago. Let's put the eyes of the gaming world on Sony and Sega to make this thing happen.

Please support the event here: TeamYu.net/SaveShenmue

Spread the word and be heard on the 3rd! Thanks for reading.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Axm
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Be mindful however that recent reactions to Shenmue on the site have been mixed. This thread contained a lot of love, but as you know this one attracted a fair amount of cynical bitterness to begin with. It's no reason not to post something of course, just be prepared for either kind of response. ;-)
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Haters gonna hate. The hell with those guys. They can bitch as much as they want. Shenmue is here to stay. :)

I applied for a neogaf account 2 months ago. I'm still waiting for the damn thing to be approved. Not that it matters anyway, as once you get approved, you have to be a junior member for a few months. Junior members cannot make new topics.

Hopefully, we can find someone with an established account.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby code l name » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 pm

I have a neogaf account, please let me know how I can help.

code l name has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Let's Get Sweaty, nskachu, The_Intruder
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:47 am

code l name wrote: I have a neogaf account, please let me know how I can help.

Great stuff. You could either post the example I gave above in the spoiler tags (editing the image/link codes if necessary to suit NeoGAF's forum software), or rewrite it in whatever way you think would go over best with the locals. Every forum has its own tone and if you're a member there then you probably understand what works in that environment better than I do.

If you're not familiar with the campaign yourself and get queries that you're not sure how to answer, post here and you'll get as much help as you need to explain things. :)
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:28 pm

I have a NeoGaf account, and LGS I will copy the template you have posted above. But I have opinions on all of this, positive as well as negative which I will keep to myself for now, and will curiously watch and see how the members of NeoGaf take to this. I know you guys have been wanting this topic there for a while now so I will post it in a few moments and throw the link in here. :nice!:

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Nope i actually cant do it, It wont let me post a new topics. Man that site sucks.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Theirs so much ignorance out there coming from people who probably never got past the first 15 minutes of disc one. Some people just don't deserve Shenmue imo. In the end we have to still try to promote it though and reach the educated.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:45 pm

I am making a few posts here and there and I hope over the course of the next few days my account will be upgraded from junior member to member so I can start topics. Once that happens I will get this topic posted. LGS I will need help in posting responses etc because I do not know how this whole campaign works. Maybe I am getting too old but I just cannot understand twitter at all, no matter how hard Ive tried. I can't really contribute to the tweets and such, but hopefully I can help by finally getting this thing going on the Gaf.

I am just a bit negative about it because I just have a feeling that the second I post it It will be locked and I will be banned. But sure I will see how it goes.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby ShenSun » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:00 pm

code l name wrote: I have a neogaf account, please let me know how I can help.

Awesome. Do you have the rights to make a new topic?

Before we post the thread, I think we should all chip in some ideas on what to include. We should also make a dummy post here, so that we can make sure that everything is included before it goes live on gaf.

I think we should put an emphasis on the thunderclap and the twitter handles, Giocorsi, Sega, playstation. ( #saveshenmue #buildingthelist)

Any other ideas?

@Peter, thanks for trying man. Gaf have some real stupid rules.

@AXM, some people just can't understand the greatness of Shenmue. Ironically, most of the ppl that dislike it are set on fighting random npcs every 5 seconds, or having something completely over the top happen at every corner. Shenmue is not that type of game.

its a shame that some people cant see, or experience the magic of Shenmue.

im sure if Shenmue 3 came out and Ryo has a gun, war outfit, and could beat up any random person, the game would sell like crazy. :)

Sad times indeed.

ShenSun has received 2 thanks from: Axm, YUmakemygame
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Shenmue NEOGAF Thread #SaveShenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:34 am

Actually the best thing to focus on now, rather than Thunderclap, would be the IFTTT method. This is a new thing introduced a couple weeks ago thanks to Giorgio, and it works like Thunderclap but automatically repeats every month after a single sign-up. For a place like NeoGAF, where opinions and attention spans may be fickle, this is the best way to secure long-term support because we only need to capture their approval and commitment for the few seconds it takes to set up the recipe on IFTTT.

Here's the link: http://TeamYu.net/recipe

And here's an instruction video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7nIMP1ka5Wg

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Axm, mue 26
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:59 pm

@LGS, Awesome. I never knew about that. :)

The only thing that I think should be changed is Nintendo twitter handle. Those guys have no chance of funded Shenmue. I think the main person we should target is Giocorsi.

The more ppl that include his twitter name and #buildingthelist in their tweet, the better.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:34 am

I agree that Sony are the most important target, but by asking people to only target one company we unfortunately turn off the more devout fanboys of other consoles. So whether they're tweeting at Gio Corsi or Nintendo, at least they're still tweeting with the hashtag, which counts towards trending and bulks out the search results showing demand for the game if/when Gio (or the gaming media) clicks the tag.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I agree that Sony are the most important target, but by asking people to only target one company we unfortunately turn off the more devout fanboys of other consoles. So whether they're tweeting at Gio Corsi or Nintendo, at least they're still tweeting with the hashtag, which counts towards trending and bulks out the search results showing demand for the game if/when Gio (or the gaming media) clicks the tag.

Good point.

Is there anyone else that has a neogaf account. The 3rd of Feb is coming up
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue III