Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

Postby kogami » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Shenmue is a 1999 adventure video game developed by Sega AM2 and published by Sega for the Dreamcast, produced and directed by Yu Suzuki. Suzuki coined a genre title for its nonlinear gameplay, "FREE" (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment), for the game, based on the interactivity and freedom he wanted to give to the player. Suzuki intended to achieve this by simulating aspects of real life through the game, such as the day and night system, real-time variable weather effects (unheard of in a game of this kind at the time), fully voiced non-player characters with their own daily schedules, quick time events, and various other interactive elements such as vending machines, arcades, and convenience stores.

This version made by me offers users the ability to play Shenmue with Japanese voices and English subtitles. I used the official English translation for this undub version, but the Japanese version of Shenmue contains more dialogue, there is approximately 3% of Japanese text retained in my version (I have not yet managed to find a translator that is able to translate the remaining Japanese sentences into English for me).

I used the translation from "US Shenmue" to make this Undub version.

For this release, I copied all the necessary directories (Sound + Japanese Subtitle) into a PAL ISO for Shenmue and I changed most of the Japanese text into English one line at a time. Thanks to the translation tools that Sizious released.

The advantage of this method:
-Less errors/Synchronization bugs (lip sync)
-The subtitles for the dialogue are in good working order in the game
-I replaced the designs of the vending machines with the original Japanese versions
-For the CD-R 80 version, I downsampled some of the voices to avoid deleting any audio from the game (as a result all of the characters have speech)

Unfortunately, there is still some Japanese text in the script (3%) Because the Japanese script contains more text than the English script, and I am not able to translate them (This only concerns the NPCs).

Thus this version of Shenmue Undub corrects some of the errors that plagued Smiths version.

Two version are available (CD-R 80 and CD-R 99) with some difference to make it fit in the appropriate sizes,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shenmue Undub "Disc 1" [PAL-E] (CD-R 80):
-I downsampled the NPC audio only (not cutscene) in FREE01.AFS from 14000hz to 11025hz.
-The language menu and text is in English only.

Shenmue Undub "Disc 2" [PAL-E] (CD-R 80):
-I downsampled the NPC audio only (not cutscene) in FREE02.AFS from 14000hz to 8000hz.

Shenmue Undub "Disc 3" [PAL-E] (CD-R 80):
-I downsampled the NPC audio only (not cutscene) in FREE03.AFS from 14000hz to 8000hz.
-Arcade game remove (Hang On/Space Harrier)
-Track CDDA remove ("Wish..." song motorcycle cutscene)

Download:
[Link removed]
[Link removed]
[Link removed]

Shenmue Undub "Disc 1" [PAL-E] (CD-R 99):
Shenmue Undub "Disc 2" [PAL-E] (CD-R 99):
Shenmue Undub "Disc 3" [PAL-E] (CD-R 99):
-Everything is untouched on the disk, no changes have been made.

Download: .mdf / .mds format "Alcohol 120%"
Shenmue Undub Disc 1 (CD-R 99)
Shenmue Undub Disc 2 (CD-R 99) [reupload bug fix 07/2015]
Shenmue Undub Disc 3 (CD-R 99)

Download: .cdi format "DiscJuggler"
Shenmue Undub Disc 1 (CD-R 99) CDI
Shenmue Undub Disc 2 (CD-R 99) CDI [reupload bug fix 07/2015]
Shenmue Undub Disc 3 (CD-R 99) CDI

Shenmue Undub [PAL-E] .GDI for GDEMU/USB-GDROM/Emulator: [News 07/11/15]
-Everything is untouched on the disk, no changes have been made.

Download:

Mediafire ( Disc 1,2,3) - Re-uploaded by shengoro86.

Shenmue Undub Disc 1 (GDI)
Shenmue Undub Disc 2 (GDI)
Shenmue Undub Disc 3 (GDI)

The savegame for this version is compatible with the PAL version of Shenmue II.

You will need Alcohol 120% to burn the file (.mdf / .mds).
Alcohol 120% trial v2.0.2.5830

Follow these instructions for burning to CD-R 80 and CD-R 99 discs:
Tuto Burning part 1
Tuto Burning part 2

Special thanks: Manic, Sizious, Shendream, Hiei-, MagicSeb, FamilyGuy.

Preview video:
phpBB [video]

Last edited by kogami on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:24 am, edited 42 times in total.

kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Shenmue Undub [kogami Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby johnvivant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

are these links to the same files that you downloaded a few days ago? or have you updated them?

i ask because i'm having problems getting 80 min version to play.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby kogami » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm

No it is the same file, I gave directions to burn the files (CD-R 80).

Follow these information CD-R 80 and CD-R 99:
Tuto Burning part 1
Tuto Burning part 2
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks for the hard work! Is this version superior than Smiths version? Is it safe to say I should be replacing his version with yours? Thanks!
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby brad86 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Just spent the past hour trying this.

Obviously the ENG dub is nowhere near the same league as the original, but mainly down to nostalgia and what I grew up with, I am incredibly fond of the English dub. Even though this isn't my preferred version, this undub so far is truly fantastic work indeed.

Really appreciate it :)
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm

GrimMeNaCe wrote: Thanks for the hard work! Is this version superior than Smiths version? Is it safe to say I should be replacing his version with yours? Thanks!

I suggest you try my version and after a few minutes of games, I think you have your answer ;-)
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm

kogami wrote:
GrimMeNaCe wrote: Thanks for the hard work! Is this version superior than Smiths version? Is it safe to say I should be replacing his version with yours? Thanks!

I suggest you try my version and after a few minutes of games, I think you have your answer ;-)

Haha for sure! No doubt I will be in for a surprise! :) Btw It says v1.0 on the cover, does that mean your making further updates or this the final? Thanks! Just wanted to get some questions out of the way. :) Really appreciate what your doing for Shenmue fans!
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:05 pm

There is still some Japanese text, if I arrive has to translate them one day, I would make a version 2.0 :D
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

kogami wrote: There is still some Japanese text, if I arrive has to translate them one day, I would make a version 2.0 :D

I hope you won`t make ver. 2.0 too soon lol. I just hate it that I burned Smiths version and than ended up finding yours! haha not that its a bad thing lol. Cause this is awesome work! And im so glad someone finally fixed up Smiths version and gave us a proper Jap version! This is just amazing work! I can`t wait to play it! Appreciate it very much.
Last edited by GrimMeNaCe on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Could I ask, how did you translate 97% of the game? And for the parts you translated did you input your own English text for it? And also is this version using some of the English text from the Pal version? Does everything make sense now when comparing the Jap voices with the ENG text? And one more thing, what are the biggest differences between this version and Smiths version? Sorry I know so many questions lol. I just want to know more about this game.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:22 am

I used the translation of US Shenmue to make this UNDUB version.

For it, I copied all the directory (SOUND + Japanese Subtitle) in ISO PAL of Shenmue and I changed everything the Japanese texts in English one by one Thanks to tools of translation that Sizious realized.

-More errors/Bug of synchronization labial (lip sync)
-The subtitles of the dialogues are in the good order in games
-I replaced the marks of drinks in the distributors by real mark
-For CDR-80 version, I optimized the space memory to avoid deleting audios in the game (Thus all the characters can speak)

Unfortunately, there are Japanese dialogues in the script (3 %) Because the Japanese script contains more text than the US script And I am not capable of translating them (That concerns only the NPC).

Thus this version of Shenmue UNDUB corrects the errors bound to the Smiths version.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:47 am

Too bad it's still not perfect but I know how hard it is and I highly appreciate the time and effort you took to make it.
If you ever want to translate the missing lines then I could provide some help. I don't know Japanese but I do know you to get those lines through Google Translate and get some english out of them that you can work with.

I did that in the past when I tried around to get some Japanese audio in the game as I wanted the subtitles to be accurate to the Japanese script.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:49 am

kogami wrote: I used the translation of US Shenmue to make this UNDUB version.

For it, I copied all the directory (SOUND + Japanese Subtitle) in ISO PAL of Shenmue and I changed everything the Japanese texts in English one by one Thanks to tools of translation that Sizious realized.

-More errors/Bug of synchronization labial (lip sync)
-The subtitles of the dialogues are in the good order in games
-I replaced the marks of drinks in the distributors by real mark
-For CDR-80 version, I optimized the space memory to avoid deleting audios in the game (Thus all the characters can speak)

Unfortunately, there are Japanese dialogues in the script (3 %) Because the Japanese script contains more text than the US script And I am not capable of translating them (That concerns only the NPC).

Thus this version of Shenmue UNDUB corrects the errors bound to the Smiths version.

Awesome, thanks a lot for all the info, I really appreciate it! :D Thats a lot of work for you to change the Jap text to English one by one! Though doesn't the US Shenmue that was released in Japan use English voices? And don't the English voices say a few things differently than the Japanese voices? Which would make the Jap text a little bit incorrect when compared with the Jap voices? I'm probably just a bit confused lol. I do get what your saying though and thats definitely a lot of hard work. At the end of the day you made the impossible, possible! I'm very happy with this.

Even if it still has 3% Jap text, thats not really a big deal since 97% is already translated. The 3% would be a very insignificant amount. I'm glad you made a better version than Smiths, he did a great job but it was full of problems and now we can FINALLY play a full proper Japanese Shenmue with the correct English text and full voices at the highest quality possible! Thanks so much for this! Also when you finish the 3rd disc you should release this in places like TheISOzone where ReviveDC posts up their stuff, show them all what kind of awesome stuff you did! Made a way better version than theirs! haha Though lots of thanks to Smith as well since he was the one to start all of this. But you definitely took it and made a true proper release! :)
Last edited by GrimMeNaCe on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:50 am

BlueMue wrote: Too bad it's still not perfect but I know how hard it is and I highly appreciate the time and effort you took to make it.
If you ever want to translate the missing lines then I could provide some help. I don't know Japanese but I do know you to get those lines through Google Translate and get some english out of them that you can work with.

I did that in the past when I tried around to get some Japanese audio in the game as I wanted the subtitles to be accurate to the Japanese script.

Well it pretty much is perfect, so I wouldn't even say too bad. :) 3% is basically nothing. 97% is more then enough. Of course 100% is always better but 97% is just amazing really! More than happy with this. Many thanks to Kogami! Can't wait for the 3rd disc!
Last edited by GrimMeNaCe on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:10 am

Somebody had proposed me its help to translate the 3 % which stayed in Japanese But he withdrew.

Thank you for your proposal but I prefer to pass by somebody who really masters the language to obtain the better result Because it is not annoying in the understanding of the game because that concerns only the NPC.

Shenmue 1 release in Europe has only the voices English Only shenmue 2 (PAL) in had the voices Japanese.

The US texts tell exactly the same thing as the voices Japanese except that it is slightly adapted.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Community Projects