Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Shenmue 3 III is not guarantee. I'll continue to wait as long as I am alive but I'm in doubt it will ever get made.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby ys » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:33 pm

When that guy asked about Space Harrier I was thinking : Damn it, don't waste precious time, we're talking about Shenmue specifically here. It might be slightly relevant with Space Harrier being at the arcade, but yeah...

About his age getting mentioned, I don't know if it's really that. I mean, producing and overseeing a game should not be impossible. People with regular jobs are out there. Or looking at art/entertainment there are several actors older than him playing roles. Or musicians older than him on the road, touring.

ys has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby m4rksc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:34 pm

chris1986 wrote: ah, very fucking disappointed, looks like all this waiting was for fuck all. i really don't like that mark cerny, what a proper cunt, he sounds like a fucking poof as well (no offence btw, just don't like the mans tone of voice)

goodnight.

I was thinking the very same thing
m4rksc
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby The You » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 pm

5150 wrote: So is there a talk for Shenmue II then? Anyone know when that is?

dot dot dot

The You has received a thanks from: redline
The You
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ImAroundTheFur » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm

I find it too coincidental that Mark Cerny has been publicly seen with Suzuki-san several times within the last year or so. Cerny has strong ties with Sony since he was essentially the architect of the PS4. It is also common knowledge that Adam Boyes is now heading third party relations for Sony and that Shenmue is on his radar. See article here: http://kotaku.com/sonys-giant-list-of-v ... 1463345943

Furthermore, I do not know how much leverage Sega still has over the series, as it has lost the trademark in the US: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/19/ ... inactivity

It does seem like now would be the best time to reboot the franchise, as production costs would be considerably lower than it would have been years ago. Public interest has not waned and it seems like some corporate maneuvering may be at play.

Anyway, that is my two cents. I have been lurking on this board for the better part of a decade, but I felt like finally opening my mouth. Heck... I may have even registered an old user name, but I can't even remember if I did.

ImAroundTheFur has received 2 thanks from: urbanveteran, Yokosuka Martian
ImAroundTheFur
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby m4rksc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote: I find it too coincidental that Mark Cerny has been publicly seen with Suzuki-san several times within the last year or so. Cerny has strong ties with Sony since he was essentially the architect of the PS4. It is also common knowledge that Adam Boyes is now heading third party relations for Sony and that Shenmue is on his radar. See article here: http://kotaku.com/sonys-giant-list-of-v ... 1463345943

Furthermore, I do not know how much leverage Sega still has over the series, as it has lost the trademark in the US: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/19/ ... inactivity

It does seem like now would be the best time to reboot the franchise, as production costs would be considerably lower than it would have been years ago. Public interest has not waned and it seems like some corporate maneuvering may be at play.

Anyway, that is my two cents. I have been lurking on this board for the better part of a decade, but I felt like finally opening my mouth. Heck... I may have even registered an old user name, but I can't even remember if I did.

They probably get together on purpose just to wind everybody up or perhaps they just like having a pint
m4rksc
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Radar » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:42 pm

In total there are 870 users online :: 115 registered, 9 hidden and 746 guests (based on active users)
Most users ever online was 888 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:32 pm

DAMN! Almost new record!
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:43 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote: I find it too coincidental that Mark Cerny has been publicly seen with Suzuki-san several times within the last year or so. Cerny has strong ties with Sony since he was essentially the architect of the PS4. It is also common knowledge that Adam Boyes is now heading third party relations for Sony and that Shenmue is on his radar. See article here: http://kotaku.com/sonys-giant-list-of-v ... 1463345943

I said this on gamespot. cerny and suzuki. whats the connection? just to talk about a 15 year old game. for what. shits and giggles. hehehe. shenmue was great look at these screenshots. it was a great game because it had QTE etc. we all know this already.

another thing i said on there was why not just come on the stage and say. before i continue with this talk i would like to announce that.... there will be no shenmue 3 or 1 and 2 HD remakes on any console. it would have saved us/me sitting thought all that just to hear stuff that we already know really.

The only reason I'm interested in shenmue is because i like to play the game and want to finish it. I don't even see the point to the talk. unless it is a precursor to a new game. Why meet up and travel to speak and meet cerny just to say all that?
Last edited by urbanveteran on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ImAroundTheFur » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:45 pm

It certainly would be a nice precursor to an announcement at E3.
ImAroundTheFur
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Esppiral » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Igot some screens from the conference, not all but it's something.

Esppiral has received 7 thanks from: Axm, lavrentis, Nahovil, Raithos, Supa, urbanveteran, 5150
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Gojiratron » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote: Furthermore, I do not know how much leverage Sega still has over the series, as it has lost the trademark in the US: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/19/ ... inactivity

They've lost the Shenmue trademark not the IP.

As I understand it, Cerny and Suzuki know each other because Cerny used to work at Sega.

Gojiratron has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Gojiratron
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 pm

redline wrote:i thought this outlined shenmues complete story & gave us a hint to shenmue 3

This was indeed very interesting information here. One of the few times we actually got a glimpse, where the series might be headed too. But yeah, it was very shallow and seemingly still based on Akira's Quest and he actually does defeat his enemy (one of the screens actually had the name "Randi" for that guy). You could debate if Ryo actually is intended to defeat Lan Di as Yu Suzuki revealed in one of the interviews not long ago that his desire for revenge deminishes. Though he could still fight him because he has to.

Anyways this was really a great source of new info an material and the Dojo definately has some nice new stuff to update the history section.

Oh and for those who are pissed of by the results and throw in the towel: Keep calm! Sure the questions sucked and we still know nothing about what's going on with the IP but this simply wasn't the right time to announce something. Let's all look out for E3 and the likes and see what happens. ;-)
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Here are some of the highlights from Suzuki-san's slideshow. So busy in the chat I was, I didn't realize the other window had a bit of overlap on some screens.

Mitsuzuki has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Esppiral, 5150
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Shenmue

Postby Icehotman2004 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:49 pm

For last time where Is Shenmue 1 HD/Shenmue 2 HD and Shenmue 3 so we could have our fight Ryo?
Icehotman2004
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby m4rksc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:50 pm

The plot markings on that map are similar to the missing MH370s flight path. it MUST be a connection

m4rksc has received a thanks from: Supa
m4rksc
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates