Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby el_clown » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Greetings!

I'm sorry to tell you guys but maybe you haven't notice it, the presentation was full of SPOILERS! Gigantic SPOILERS! Like: Akira (Ryo) defeats Randi (how the Japanese pronounce LanDi).

So we've been shown the basic scenario from begining to end of Shenmue... and what does it mean??? NO SHENMUE 3 EVAH!

Why? Well, for the same reason Suzuki has kept shut about the continuation of the Saga for so many years... you don't spoil the end of your game. That is, if there's a game in the works or there's the possibility for the game to be in the works. However if you are completely sure that your game is NEVER, EVER gonna be finished, then, spoil it as much as you want, at the end of the day, no one is not gonna buy a game that's not gonna be released.

You get me guys. Hopefully I'm overreacting, and the plot changed so much from VFRPG to Shenmue that the sopilers don't mean anything anymore, but when I see those 11 pictures I see a lot of stuff and characters that ARE in Shenmue and I can read too many spoilers not to be concerned.

What do you guys think?
el_clown
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: el clown
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby ShenSun » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 pm

BlueMue wrote:
ShenSun wrote: Right guys, im going to GDC right now, to find that twat that asked about Space Harrier, the camera, and the bloody bike. Don't be surprised if i get done for murder.

Be gentle with the guys who asked about the camera and the bike, those were actually somewhat okay questions.
You can punish the fool who asked about Space Harrier three times as hard to make up for it. He truly deserves it!

Bluemue, I'll meet you round the back of GDC. We'll get the space harrier guy as he leaves. :)
Last edited by ShenSun on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Just had a thought. If there wasn't a YES or a NO to anymore shenmue releases then isn't that a little hope? Wouldn't we be hearing a firm NO if they really hated the game and a little explanation as to why. I think maybe they are doing the whole psychological trick of trying to make us want it even more. As some companies will try to do. Maybe I'm just dreaming? thoughts on this anyone?
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ys » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Peter wrote: I think both no reference to any future of Shenmue, plus the "Shenmue II, to be continued....." Is a huge slap in the face to Shenmue fans.

To be honest, it also kind of annoyed me. It's not a huge big deal I guess but maybe slightly tasteless to joke around with "To be continued". Considering the fact that a very loyal fan base has waited ages for a continuation.

By the way, even if I wasn't a fan of Shenmue Online I would not have minded some information about what happened there. Or something about technical challenges IF potential HD-versions of the game would be released.
Last edited by ys on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm

@Shensun: Allright, tell me what your ki signature feels like and I'll use the instant transmission and I'll be right there in a minute. :lol:

@el_cown: Nah, your really thinking too far here. Just because he showed a veeeeery crude overview of the story, including how the big fight ends and what happens after that doesn't mean Yu gave up on Shenmue. Let's be honest about those two points. Everyone probably already figured out that that's going to happen. The fight with Lan Di has to happen (like I said earlier, even when Ryo gave up on revenge) and the ending is really cliche and common in all sorts of media. I wouldn't say these are actual spoilers at all.
Last edited by BlueMue on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: el_clown
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:16 pm

urbanveteran wrote: Just had a thought. If there wasn't a YES or a NO to anymore shenmue releases then isn't that a little hope? Wouldn't we be hearing a firm NO if they really hated the game and a little explanation as to why. I think maybe they are doing the whole psychological trick of trying to make us want it even more. As some companies will try to do. Maybe I'm just dreaming? thoughts on this anyone?

Grasping at straws. I'll probably see Ryo on my toast tomorrow morning.

Wude-Tang Clan has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Yokosuka Martian
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Esppiral » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:17 pm

ShenSun wrote: Right guys, im going to GDC right now, to find that twat that asked about Space Harrier, the camera, and the bloody bike. Don't be surprised if i get done for murder.

I will testify in your favour.

Esppiral has received 3 thanks from: ShenSun, Supa, urbanveteran
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:25 pm

el_clown wrote: Greetings!

I'm sorry to tell you guys but maybe you haven't notice it, the presentation was full of SPOILERS! Gigantic SPOILERS! Like: Akira (Ryo) defeats Randi (how the Japanese pronounce LanDi).

So we've been shown the basic scenario from begining to end of Shenmue... and what does it mean??? NO SHENMUE 3 EVAH!

Why? Well, for the same reason Suzuki has kept shut about the continuation of the Saga for so many years... you don't spoil the end of your game. That is, if there's a game in the works or there's the possibility for the game to be in the works. However if you are completely sure that your game is NEVER, EVER gonna be finished, then, spoil it as much as you want, at the end of the day, no one is not gonna buy a game that's not gonna be released.

You get me guys. Hopefully I'm overreacting, and the plot changed so much from VFRPG to Shenmue that the sopilers don't mean anything anymore, but when I see those 11 pictures I see a lot of stuff and characters that ARE in Shenmue and I can read too many spoilers not to be concerned.

What do you guys think?

i think its obvious to shenmue fans everywhere that we will eventually beat lan di. it's pretty much the whole premise for the game.

Fire up the game now. 1 or 2 and the feelings constantly is where is lan di. You feel as though you're going to encounter him sooner or later.

I don't think anyone expects them to shake hands at the end of the game. All bad guys get beat at the end of stories usually.

I do see your point though. Games developers don't talk about the end of the game etc in any detail.

But still do you really think this means he wouldn't/couldn't do it because he told us how its going to pan out?

urbanveteran has received a thanks from: mue 26
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 pm

el_clown wrote: Greetings!

What do you guys think?

He's already told us that Ryo beats Lan Di in a previous interview didn't he (with you guys, wasn't it?)? and when was that, near the beginning of the presentation? I must have missed it. I don't think it's anything to of any particular significance though, I mean, who couldn't work out on their own that Ryo will beat Lan Di? It's the journey that's important in Shenmue, not the endgame. And I honestly don't think Yu would repeatedly express his desire to make the game if he didn't want to.

But at the same time.. I want to destroy a car with my bare hands.

*Suzuki-san's face stares out wistfully from underneath the shattered glass and wood of what was once the glorious centerpiece of AXM's living room* :sad:

Seriously though, I know it's hard not to get swept up in the downer vibe on here right now, but this isn't the end for us, and it was a nice to have a bit of sun light shined on our favourite series.

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Yokosuka Martian
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:36 pm

If you all want to discuss the new spoiler plot slides shown I've made a thread for that here.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46936

Atleast we have something to discuss past killing ourselves.

Axm has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby The You » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Well there was definitely a lot of new info about the series, especially the early storyboard stuff. You can't really call it a bad conference, i think he really delivered on that aspect. Sure we have no new info on the future of the series, but that wasn't what this day was about.

It just sucks so bad because it seemed like the stars where aligning for the perfect time for an announcement.. Which brings me to my next point: fuck Mark Cerny. I don't care if they're friends, they need to stop being friends if it's giving us all this false hope. ](*,) "You're translator has failed you," Yes you have Mark, yes you have.

At the same time it was great to see Yu reminisce about the series. You could see how nostalgic he was, and the passion he had for the game. It really must be painfully bittersweet for him to talk about Shenmue, when he knows the story may never be concluded. But he is a proud man, and he refuses to deny that the series is dead. Yu still hasn't given up, and neither should we.

Now it's time to forget about this, get drunk, boot up the dreamcast, and play some goddamn shenmue.
The You
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
urbanveteran wrote: Just had a thought. If there wasn't a YES or a NO to anymore shenmue releases then isn't that a little hope? Wouldn't we be hearing a firm NO if they really hated the game and a little explanation as to why. I think maybe they are doing the whole psychological trick of trying to make us want it even more. As some companies will try to do. Maybe I'm just dreaming? thoughts on this anyone?

Grasping at straws. I'll probably see Ryo on my toast tomorrow morning.

yeah. i kinda thought that. but why no YES. and why no NO?

urbanveteran has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:56 pm

I love the activity on the board at least. Keep it up till at least E3! haha

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: urbanveteran
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Ya guys! E3 is gonna be the big one! I Can feel it!
>_<

Axm has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Yokosuka Martian
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 pm

dot dot dot. three dots. shenmue 3 confirmed.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates