Ren, killed by Ryo's hands?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Ren, killed by Ryo's hands?

Postby Giorgio » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:29 pm

I remember I have read a topic in here, explaining Shen Hua's poem (?), that's Shenmue's story is one that it gets repeated, like a circle of events, probably that support the theory between Ryo and Ren, in the same way as supposedly happened with Iwao and Zhao. But that repeatable story includes more elements, like the events with the Dragon and the Phoenix.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Here's the overview of the Shenmue GDC with pictures if you want to check it out again.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/featur ... -talk.html
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Fenix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Guys, I've traced the map image and placed all episodes. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Fenix » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm

There you go. Notice the Lion's statue in episode VIII. You may have to zoom in.

And the "map image":

Red arrows are drawn above the real lines. Green arrows connect place with chapters and the blue ones are suposed to be the followed route.

Fenix has received 3 thanks from: CodingGenesis, DreamcastPast, johnvivant
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:58 pm

well done for matching the statue with the one from akira/pai's stage in virtua fighter 2. does anyone know what it is? seems that it must be quite a significant object to depict it.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Fenix » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 pm

That's the info I'll try to find now. It may give us some clue.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 am

Looking at the pictures again, I have a few observations:

In the fourth picture, the man seated in the green uniform could be Yuanda Zhu. In one of the recent Shenmue Master interviews, it is hinted at that Zhu aims to protect his friends, even to the point of lying or bending the truth. This has yet to be seen in the games, so could this be a hint that his story in the Shenmue series has not come to a close? After all, I don't think we really ever knew precisely why Lan Di wanted him to begin with. Also, on the character tree translated by Kiyuu, he has two outgoing connecting lines that hint at connections with characters we have yet to see.

In the seventh picture, could the bottom right person be Ziming? Looks like him from what little we have seen of him as well. Also, in the picture Am2 released years back of the four leaders of the Chiyoumen, he is completely blacked, where as Niao Sun is only half way blacked out. I say this because the woman in this picture, the one before, and the one after could be her.

The last few things are just possible character matches from the Project Berkley video concept art and the pictures we have from GDC. There are a lot of possibilities, but obviously it's next to impossible to tell.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:50 am

johnvivant wrote: well done for matching the statue with the one from akira/pai's stage in virtua fighter 2. does anyone know what it is? seems that it must be quite a significant object to depict it.

Apparently, that's the Iron Lion Statue in Cangzhou.

I found this image in the website of Tetsuya Hattori, the martial-art actor/advisor of Shenmue.
This picture was taken with his Bajiquan master Wu Lianzhi when he visited Meng Cun.

http://www.kaimonkensha.com/kiroku/0712mouson/04.html

You can learn more about the statue from the Wiki page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cangzhou

Kiyuu has received 7 thanks from: DreamcastPast, Fenix, Flatlandaniel, Giorgio, johnvivant, Supa, wude
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 am

Wow these are some great new researches! Meng Cun really must be the center of the Shenmue universe somehow, considering how many things in the story are somehow connected to that area. Meng Cun must have had a huge impact on Yu Suzuki when he visited the place.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fenix » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 am

Amazing. So Ryo has to fight the 4 leaders in Cangzhou. Or that is suposed to happen.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sylentknyte » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 pm

It's a good theory. I figure Ren will die at some point in the series, but I don't think it will be by Ryo's hand. I can picture him making some kind of redemptive sacrifice, or being fed to a big bad to show how serious he is. Thanks for these images though. If we have enough evidence of the future like this I think we could piece together parts of the story.

I have a ton of theories myself, but nothing I can really back up. As was stated in the thread earlier, I think Iwao kills Zhao due to the temptation of the mirrors. The mirrors obviously hold some great power, but it's hard to say what. So what tempted Zhao? Well, I think Zhao and Iwao trained in Guilin as young men, along with their wives and children. At some point, Zhao's wife gets pregnant with baby Shenhua.Sadly, she dies in labor. A grief stricken Zhao is driven crazy by this loss and attempts to steal the mirrors to use their power. He and Iwao have a stand off, and Iwao accidentally kills him (for example, during the fight Zhao slips off a steep ledge and falls to his death).

^ There's obviously no credence to this theory. I just like to consider the possibilities in the series.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:01 am

Giorgio wrote: I remember I have read a topic in here, explaining Shen Hua's poem (?), that's Shenmue's story is one that it gets repeated, like a circle of events, probably that support the theory between Ryo and Ren, in the same way as supposedly happened with Iwao and Zhao. But that repeatable story includes more elements, like the events with the Dragon and the Phoenix.

It's more about Lan Di and Ryo in this context. Iwao killed Lan Dis Father, so the son (Lan Di) had to watch his father being killed, later getting his revenge and killing Iwao while Iwaos son (Ryo) has to watch his father being killed. To stay in the scheme Ryo will have to kill Lan Di... ANd so on...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MJC The Great » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:52 pm

It's certainly a very interesting theory. I don't know what to make of the Chapter Concept Art images to be honest. I feel sure there's plenty of content there which will make it to the finished article but there's also bound to be a lot of 'Berkley' stuff which will inevitably get changed about or dropped altogether.

I wanted to draw your attention to the eighth image. I noticed there are four shadowy figures on top of the mountains and that instantly made me think back to the four Chiyoumen leaders. Maybe the image is symbolic of their respective territories in the region or possibly their headquarters.

Picking up on what Kiyuu said about Meng Cun and that iron lion statue in Cangzhou made me wonder if image eight is actually supposed to be in Meng Cun itself. I guess we can all speculate as much as we want but until at least Shenmue 3 is made, we just wont know for sure.

~Mj~ ;-)

MJC The Great has received a thanks from: wude
MJC The Great
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Just Cause 2

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:55 pm

It looks like Cangzhou and Meng Cun are only about 20 miles apart. It may actually be important where one attempts to use the mirrors together. If Iwao killed Zhoa Sun Ming there and it could be because that was the only place to resurrect Chi You, which is why we see Ryo travels there most likely in pursuit of Lan Di. And right after that picture comes the one that seems to show Ren with a costume change. Then Ren is either killed or hurt. And that has to be Lan Di's face in the sky.

I really wish we could have access to high quality images from Yu's presentation. That would help so much.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MJC The Great » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:52 am

Well, having read aizen59's most excellent interview with Yu Suzuki, I think we can officially rule out my idea of the four Chiyoumen leaders in image 8 of the concept art haha.
MJC The Great

Currently playing: Just Cause 2

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III