Scary Non-Horror Games?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Scary Non-Horror Games?

Postby Thief » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:53 am

Anybody play some games that aren't supposed to scare you but somehow scare the living shit out of you... or at least creep you out? The prime (heh) example of this for me is Metroid Prime and and Metroid Fusion. Those games scared the crap out of me when they first came out -- even now Prime gives me the willies. The atmosphere and the aliens... and fucking SA-X!

That and the Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time... the room with all the Floor Masters... yeeeeesh.

Anybody else get scared by certain "not so scary" games when they were younger.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Scary Non-Horror Games?

Postby OL » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:52 am

Funny, the video I'm working on writing at the moment begins with a bit about how Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't technically "horror" games, but they're still scary as hell the first time you play them, particularly if you're in offline mode (no hints to warn you of anything).
Not sure if that counts though, since that aspect isn't necessarily unintentional or anything.

I always thought Armored Core: Master of Arena had a creepy final level, where it turns out that Nineball, the sort of infamously-badass antagonist of the early games, turns out to be
a rogue AI who runs everything in the world.

It was kind of an "oh shit" moment when you walk into a corridor and see a ton of backup Nineball AC's (right around 1:58 in the video). It makes more sense if you've played the early games (because Nineball is hard as fuuuuck), but it had a similar feeling to when you fight that long string of Rays in MGS2, and you can see all the backup ones in the background, and it almost makes it feel hopeless.

phpBB [video]
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am

I thought Super Ghouls n' Ghosts on the Super Nintendo in full stereo was scary as all hell when I was 7. A friend had it and his father was a big techie that had his own high end stereo speakers that were nearly as tall as people. The intro alone was scary as shit when played on that thing. Definitely don't play it at night. :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 am

The game Burn Cycle for CD-i always freaked me out as a kid, especially when you get to the town area and that creepy music is playing as you walk around outside and it's completely devoid of any life, then when you go indoors somewhere, the static unmoving general populace who all watch you, also freaked me out. I half expected something to jump out at me as I was playing:

phpBB [video]

I also found all of those creatures & tribes you discover in Lost Eden (CD-i, DOS) were nightmare fuel. Moorkus Rex, especially.

phpBB [video]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Thief the Dark Project.

When you get to the caves run into zombies, it get really terrifying. The same goes with sneaking into a manson or other large scale building with guards abundant. Alot of the suspense has to do with the fact you die quickly after a few hits.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Cave Johnson » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:57 pm

phpBB [video]

This game made me feel uneasy every time I played it when I was a kid.
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Calshot » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Arkham Asylum could get pretty creepy. The whole setting is creepy in general and the environment felt really claustrophobic.

On the other hand, much of the tension was dispersed once you got into the proper mindset. During some sections of the game where I was acting more cautious or more on edge than usual, I realized that, "Wait a second. I'm the GODDAMN Batman." Vengeance and justice then rained down on the evil denizens of the asylum (vengeance and justice being the name of Batman's fists).

Calshot has received a thanks from: OL
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Return to General Gaming