Yokosuka Photo Tour

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Yokosuka Photo Tour

Postby Kiyuu » Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 am

robbiekhan66 wrote: 1. Is that real life house actually based on Ryo's home?, because it looks almost exactly the same.

2. Who currently lives in that home, someone famous, or some normal guy, because I wonder what he thinks that his home is accurately modeled in a video game.

3. Did Yu Suzuki know the guy living in that house at the time to recreate it, or he just randomly chose a house to put in his game without permission? lol

You mean that dojo-look-alike building by "that real life house," don't you?
Actually, that is an average temple that you can find almost anywhere in Japan. Apparently, it's not really a residence, but the main sanctuary of a temple where the priest(s) perform(s) sutra services. That entrance, too, is an average gate of a temple. Remember that Hazuki residence once was a temple.

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, shengoro86
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Giorgio » Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am

Kiyuu wrote:[...] Remember that Hazuki residence once was a temple. [...]

I never knew that. Where that information can be found originally?
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BigTuna » Mon May 19, 2014 12:06 pm

This is incredible! Thank you so much for posting this, man.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Kiyuu » Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Giorgio wrote:

Once you were able to access the huge database of Shenmue Passport while you were online.

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/14499/passport.html

In the "Shenmue World" section, you were able to view the detailed description of every place in Shenmue.
And, the Japanese official guides cover most of the data, though I'm not sure about the English guides.

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, MiTT3NZ
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby The You » Tue May 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Hey, i'm glad you guys liked the post. I've added a couple other pics i had missed the first time. Shenmue really is a game about atmosphere, and Suzuki and team AM2 really executed that in a way few other games have.

Kiyuu wrote:
Giorgio wrote:

And, the Japanese official guides cover most of the data, though I'm not sure about the English guides.

Yea, the strategy guide says:
"The Hazuki residence was originally a temple, which the Hazuki family came to occupy when it lost viability due to the absence of a chief priest. This explains why the residence looks so formal. The imposing front gate is a remnant from that era."

So much thought and soul went into building this universe, not to get off topic, but things like the character profiles and backgrounds for every NPC in the game including animals, shit like that is just brilliantly insane.

The You has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Kiyuu, mue 26
The You
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby mue 26 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:13 pm

What was the story of the old guy that sits in the kids play area and smokes cigarettes? He always struck me as a haunted soul.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiyuu » Wed May 21, 2014 10:46 pm

mue 26 wrote: What was the story of the old guy that sits in the kids play area and smokes cigarettes? He always struck me as a haunted soul.

You can meet two old men in Suzume Park. The one who is smoking is Liu Gong Hui, father of the owner of Liu Barber & Hair Salon. Check out his profile in this page:

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s1char ... buita.html

The other guy is not smoking, but more spooky. Do you mean this one, maybe? His name is Lin Xiang Xuan. Find his profile here:

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s1char ... itano.html

Kiyuu has received a thanks from: mue 26
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mue 26 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:00 am

Ah, thanks a bunch Kiyuu! Man, I didn't even realize we had those character profiles at the dojo! That's great.

Oh yeah I forgot that the guy smoking was the barbers dad. But yeah that other guy is definitely a bit haunted:

Lin Xiang Xuan is an old man who appears out of nowhere in Dobuita, settles in the park, then later disappears and doesn’t show up for several months. Nobody knows who he is,

I'm now imagining where he goes for months and why. One of the guys who do those Shenmue virtual novels, should definitely do a story on this guy!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby robbiekhan66 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:49 am

Well then my question still pertains to that residence since the set up is all to alike if you count how it features a dojo and all.
robbiekhan66
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Resonance of Fate

Postby Kiyuu » Tue May 27, 2014 3:40 pm

robbiekhan66 wrote: Well then my question still pertains to that residence since the set up is all to alike if you count how it features a dojo and all.

Do you realize those pictures are a compilation of random pictures found on the web? Read what the topic creator says once again:

The You wrote:I've collected them from Panaramio, the website used in this feature, and arranged them in a similar way as presented in the game. The captions I use are my own interpretation of what it looks like and not necessarily what it actually is.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to identify the Dojo-look-alike temple in the first picture. But, the building in the 2nd and the 3rd picture was identified. It's called Kaisyun-in, again not a residence, but a temple. See the wooden box on the top of the stairs. That's a "saisen-bako (offertory box)" for the worship-visitors.
Also, the gate belongs to another temple, Seirai-an. Both Kaisyun-in and Seirai-an are surrounding Kenchoji, one of the most famous temples in Japan. They are scattered in huge remote area.
Anyway, there's no picture of a "residence" in the compilation, other than the plain small houses along the streets.

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, MiTT3NZ
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby RicoDredd » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:14 am

Yeah, the real Yokosuka is a shithole. It wasn't pretty back in 1986, either, but then it hadn't yet sank into the Japanese equivalent of a negro ghetto as you see it today. Seriously, I don't know what it is about the US Navy and Navy installations in general, but those places seem to bring down neighborhoods worse than the other branches. Zama? Not pretty either, but it's tons more bearable.
RicoDredd
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue-kogami's version

Previous

Return to Shenmue