Yokosuka Photo Tour

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Yokosuka Photo Tour

Postby The You » Fri May 16, 2014 12:36 am

Hey all, I've put together a little photo tour of Ryo's hometown Yokosuka. I spend a little too much time browsing google earth daily, and they have a really interesting feature which shows photos of an area displayed over the map. None of the pics here were taken by me, I've collected them from Panaramio, the website used in this feature, and arranged them in a similar way as presented in the game. The captions I use are my own interpretation of what it looks like and not necessarily what it actually is. Put on some music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Am9xYC7nk for the walk, & let's take it from the top.

Hazuki Residence

Dojo

coy pond

enterance

Yamanose

leaving the residence

heading down the hill

yamanose shrine
statuette with red scarf
megumi is just off camera

leaving yamanose

Sakuragaoka

phonebooth on the left
the dead end near sumiya san's house

abe store & vending machines

sakuragaoka park / yamagishi's favorite bench
let's get sweaty

heading back
is that naoyuki's motorcycle?
leaving sakuragaoka

Dobuita

entering dobuita
upper dobuita
down the steps
game you!
jupitor's jackets
tom's / bonus red sports bike
wang on his bike / cherry blossom branches which can be seen in game during spring
shops / mountain backdrop
tomato convenience store / coke machine / flower shop

bar district
bar linda
mjq

waiting for the bus

New Yokosuka Harbor

getting off the bus
hokuhoku lunches
harbor lounge

port
the iconic cranes
the two islands which can also be seen in game

fucking forklifts!
let's race
left, right, right, RIGHT!! (sorry, wrong game)
map looks like it could almost fit in the game

warehouse district
hokuoku lunches, special delivery

and so, the journey begins
Last edited by The You on Tue May 20, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The You
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yokosuka Photo Tour

Postby KX-5 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 am

Good stuff indeedly. Thank you!
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Shadow_Exodus
Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Postby Fenix » Fri May 16, 2014 4:34 am

The map is so similar to the game.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri May 16, 2014 5:04 am

What's funny is that a friend of my wife lives near the area that you titled "Yamanose"... SUbway station as "abe store"? Well well...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Fenix » Fri May 16, 2014 7:06 am

LOL! I did not noticed that.

But looking fot that "Hazuki residence" I wont be suprised if it was really the inspiration to make Ryo's home in the game.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby C.. » Fri May 16, 2014 8:44 am

I love you, The You the way you do the things you do,
You must be a football coach the way you got me playing the field so gimme that toot toot gimme that beep beep, The You running his hands through my Fro'

Nice photos mate
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 16, 2014 9:38 am

Thank you, that was refreshing. While seeing the pictures (with the aid of the descriptions), Shenmue music started to playing in my mind related to the setting and what event could possibly happen there, while imagining how Shenmue could look nowadays with today's technology and graphics.
Seems like Shenmue got released in the "wrong" time... both for the gaming audience that currently prevailing the market and for the way the game could be represented, because today's graphics could do more justice to it and deliver the aesthetics more authentically.

Also, thinking how the designers transferred the picture of those places into the game, as an inspiration to the whole design, even to the minuet details. Furthermore, how the developers turned several things that happen in those places, into a gameplay experience, like the forklifts "let's turn them into a mini-game", the crates "let's turn them into a mini-game", the telephone booth "let's make that operational into the game", the cats "let's make pet simulator into the game", the shops "let's make some shops to play a role in the game" and so on.

That is, transferring the world of those places into a digital interactive experience, playing a role around an epic and complex story, with personalities and each of them contributing to the world feeling, emotions and story, all of that instilled into the vastness of Japanese (and Chinese) history and mythology.

Therefore, Shenmue is not really a game. Is an interactive experience, letting you live its world (instead of destroy it, like in other games) and interact with it via a real life feeling. I wish more games like Shenmue will be made, with the same vibe/spirit/philosophy, probably about other areas of the real world (for example, a story in the world of Africa, Antarctica, Ancient Greece et cetera).

Again, appreciate your intentions to share those images for the entertainment of our eyes, and thank you.
Last edited by Giorgio on Fri May 16, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby spinksy » Fri May 16, 2014 9:43 am

This thread is amazing! :)
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby BlueMue » Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Amazing tour! They sure took a lot of time to get inspiration of the actual locations when they made the game.
It has it's own unique style to it but a lot of similarities to the real thing. One day I want to walk in Ryo's footsteps myself.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby robbiekhan66 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:45 pm

1. Is that real life house actually based on Ryo's home?, because it looks almost exactly the same.

2. Who currently lives in that home, someone famous, or some normal guy, because I wonder what he thinks that his home is accurately modeled in a video game.

3. Did Yu Suzuki know the guy living in that house at the time to recreate it, or he just randomly chose a house to put in his game without permission? lol
robbiekhan66
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Resonance of Fate

Postby envgen » Fri May 16, 2014 3:29 pm

These are incredible! I've seen photos of Dobuita before, which I found disappointing because it only bears a passing resemblance to the in-game version. But these shots of the Hazuki Residence (does anybody know what this is in real life?), Yamanose, Sakuragaoka and Yokosuka Harbour are so incredibly close to the Dreamcast representations that I couldn't help but grin at them :D

Which leads me to wonder how geographically accurate the in-game versions are... Are the streets laid out the same? I bet you'd get a really creepy deja vu if you went to the real-life Yamanose, or the Harbour, and somehow knew exactly how to get around this place you'd never been to before.
envgen
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby mrslig100 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:20 pm

3SHEN5MUE!!!!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Esppiral » Sun May 18, 2014 5:09 pm

You are my hero, grat stuff!
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun May 18, 2014 5:17 pm

envgen wrote: These are incredible! I've seen photos of Dobuita before, which I found disappointing because it only bears a passing resemblance to the in-game version. But these shots of the Hazuki Residence (does anybody know what this is in real life?), Yamanose, Sakuragaoka and Yokosuka Harbour are so incredibly close to the Dreamcast representations that I couldn't help but grin at them :D

Which leads me to wonder how geographically accurate the in-game versions are... Are the streets laid out the same? I bet you'd get a really creepy deja vu if you went to the real-life Yamanose, or the Harbour, and somehow knew exactly how to get around this place you'd never been to before.

Check out this web series called Tokyo Swan on YouTube. In one episode he visits the, what he called, 'real-life Shenmue'.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Ziming » Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 am

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue