Suzuki hinting at shenmue at gamelab with a "3" oh my godddd

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Suzuki hinting at shenmue at gamelab with a "3" oh my go

Postby Peter » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:22 am

Share the sentiments exactly about the sheer mention of Shenmue 4. What the hell! That has never happened before I don't think. Not that I can remember in the past 10 years. Very strange. Also oddly positive? Or is that me just falling victim and reading too much into something. Also the image of III, that has never happened before.

Is Suzuki actually high?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:42 am

I swear, if Shenmue 3 is to be made and to end on another cliffhanger for a fourth chapter, I'll play that thing at a glacial pace.

The part I find interesting about Suzuki's comments is how the AI can be improved with today's consoles. We already had an amazing, immersive experience with character interaction in the first two games. Who knows what's percolating in his head for what will be in store next.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:52 am

Mitsuzuki wrote:The part I find interesting about Suzuki's comments is how the AI can be improved with today's consoles. We already had an amazing, immersive experience with character interaction in the first two games. Who knows what's percolating in his head for what will be in store next.

I got goosebumps, haha! If they let him to do what he wants with Shenmue 3, it will be magical (but always under the veil of relatability and believability).

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:33 am

At this point, everyones default response to these types of things should be: announcement or dont get excited.

It is intriguing but it seems all sega and Yu want to do lately is just cock tease. The S3 in racing transformed, now this. If they are trying to build up the announcement knowing we have waited years and years, this shit is just sadistic. And at this point im just bored and numb to these tactics.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby darksniper » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Peter wrote: Share the sentiments exactly about the sheer mention of Shenmue 4. What the hell! That has never happened before I don't think. Not that I can remember in the past 10 years. Very strange. Also oddly positive? Or is that me just falling victim and reading too much into something. Also the image of III, that has never happened before.

Is Suzuki actually high?

If the man says he needs Shenmue 4 to complete the series, who are we to disagree with that? Makes sense actually for whoever's footing the bill to make another sequel to Shenmue instead of doing a one off with III and ending the series.

Whatever.....If Suzuki wants to do Shenmue IV, I'm all in.

Shenmue 4...Believe
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JohnBlack » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:23 pm

I think Shenmue is not the right thing to do by kickstarter. I mean, its ok, but 99% games from kickstarter is really bad.
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Abdulla » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:33 pm

lol maybe shenmue 3 is already done secretly

Abdulla has received a thanks from: Jibby
Abdulla
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:54 pm

My suspicions were right, Shenmue's plot is build as a series meaning the time in between chapters is important for the overall feel of the saga. I would say nearly a decade till Ryo's last stand, if you shoved them all into a game it would probably feel saturated. It's like putting the entire Star Wars old and new gen into one movie.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Snakiest » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:07 pm

I'd skip Shenmue 3 and do 4 from the start. Makes more sense to me.

But hearing Yu come up with ideas for the potential use of modern technology in Shenmue 3 is indeed refreshing. And it is a good sign. Who knows, maybe he was approached by some publishers and asked that very question - what would you do to make the next game as awesome today as it was 15 years ago?

Sent from my amazing Galaxy Note 3.=)
Snakiest

Postby ys » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Peter wrote: Share the sentiments exactly about the sheer mention of Shenmue 4. What the hell! That has never happened before I don't think. Not that I can remember in the past 10 years. Very strange. Also oddly positive? Or is that me just falling victim and reading too much into something. Also the image of III, that has never happened before.

Is Suzuki actually high?

I find it great that he mentions Shenmue IV. I've said this several times during the years (as some might have noticed) that I couldn't see Shenmue end with the third game considering everything we knew about the saga. It always felt as if ending with Shenmue III would mean cutting too much of the story. Compromising important aspects like pacing to start with. I feared that the game would feel like a rushed product that way. Plus that commercially, releasing several games allows for better sales.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:59 pm

We are waiting for Shenmue III for more than a decade. now Shenmue IV ? Come on... IV just won't happen.

Take shortcuts, cut some unnecessary things and parts and make it a single game or we're screwed :/
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby marcbret87 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 am

Its obviously risky to talk even about the possibility of a Shenmue IV, but I suspect that Yu Suzuki, if he signs up for such an endeavour, would likely ask for the two games to be made as part of the deal. Similarly to Shenmue I and II, developing the whole motor for the game might be expensive, even if not as expensive as it was 15 years ago. Anyway, I am still hopeful that at some point during this generation this might come up.

The other thing I am wondering is what would happen if Shenmue III/IV never happen. I would like at least that the story is released in some other way, perhaps a manga?
marcbret87
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ys » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 am

aizen59 wrote: We are waiting for Shenmue III for more than a decade. now Shenmue IV ? Come on... IV just won't happen.

Take shortcuts, cut some unnecessary things and parts and make it a single game or we're screwed :/

I'm quite sure that he doesn't just mention it for the sake of it. Especially since the original plan was to spread the story over about five games.

My question is though : would you really want a heavily cut version of what was originally planned? I personally have a hard time seeing the point with such a release since the way Shenmue is paced is exactly what makes the game. Getting something that feels rushed/much less detailed would probably ruin it for me.
And with proper marketing support, having more releases could be better sales wise.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 am

Of course, i'd love to have Shenmue III, IV, V, even VI, i dont mind, it'd be awesome to have a great and long saga. But seeing how its taking more than a decade for someone to trust Yu Suzuki enough to let him create Shenmue III, let's face it, if he doesn't finish the story with the 3rd game, unless a miracle happens, we will never see another Shenmue game ever again.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:52 am

I prefer Shenmue 3 ends with a cliffhanger than get a rushed horrible game. If the series never concludes I hope the story is finished in some form even if it is just a written summary.
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III