Hypothetical Shenmue 3 kickstarter donations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:06 am

Canceled due to incomplete participation.
Across here and 500k half the people just want to discuss the legitimacy of a hypothetical statistic then actually putting down an amount. So then we'd have to factor Shenmue fans who just dont care about this into the equation aswell. So its a wrap then.
I thought it would be fun but if we arent on the same page then its not really worth it.
Last edited by Axm on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Hypothetical Shenmue 3 kickstarter donations

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:29 am

You have too much money... Get a life?

Seriously - if Yu would lead the kickstarter Campaign and it gets loads of Hype I'd be surprised if they made less than a million. But yeah, i have a hard time imagining SEGA begging at kickstarter...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 am

Master Kyodai wrote: You have too much money... Get a life?

Seriously - if Yu would lead the kickstarter Campaign and it gets loads of Hype I'd be surprised if they made less than a million. But yeah, i have a hard time imagining SEGA begging at kickstarter...

Me too.
Which is why I explained in 3 different points that it's all very complicated and unlikely.
This is all highly hypothetical and experimental. But I figure, lets just have some fun.
And since Neo Gaf already has $30,000 totaled I figure why not play this little game.
So throw in whatever number you think you'd do and we'll just try and see what we can come up with.

Edit: Also kind of a harsh thing to say to me is it not? Get a life? Really? Just cause I have different financial situation then you? I dont think you know me well enough to comment on my life. But if it makes you feel better ill drop my make-believe donation down from $5,000 to $2,000.. I have a car to pay off too. You know, people with lives need them to get to work sometimes.
Last edited by Axm on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:31 am

If i knew about the kickstarter beforehand and if there's a nice reward for people funding it with 4 digits, i'd prolly spend 1000 $.

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: Axm
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:24 am

The force is strong with the 500k group on FB.
We are already at "~$40,810"
I've made a posting on 500k informing them of this thread.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenSun » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:50 am

I doubt this could give us any real indication of what a potential kickstarter would look like. If one were announced, it would be advertised all over gaming media, newspapers, etc, which would bring in most of the funds. A neogaf thread doesn't really indicate anything, especially when a good majority of them are hostile towards the series by default. You'd be surprised how much people are under the age of 18 on that board.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:01 am

I wouldnt be suprised. But since we already have a hypothetical number from 2 different sources before I made this thread, then I figure, why not see what we can come up with here too? Sure it could be off by thousands but it would atleast give us an idea of how many actually active fans their are out there who would put some dollar amount on the series.
And like you said much of the funds for a real kickstarter would come from outside of our small community, so whatever number we come up with here we can discuss further about how it could be possibly doubled, tripled, how much of it is realistic compared to other games on Kickstarter that have been funded etc. Roll with it..

So again, lets just see what this looks like. Its more of a curiosity for many people and a show of support then anything else. I didnt start this, im just spreading it.
Last edited by Axm on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:24 am

I've got a feeling more than a few people are "donating" more than they'd be able to afford. The whole "I'd pay x amount for Shenmue III" is a nice gesture in theory, but do the people who say it have the money to do so? Really?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenSun » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:28 am

Ahh, I didn't realize you were taking into account the other sites aswell.

Well, over the course of a 30 day period, i could see myself investing close to a £1000. I think the hype of a potential sequel would make me invest more than i could afford. :p

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Axm
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:32 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: I've got a feeling more than a few people are "donating" more than they'd be able to afford. The whole "I'd pay x amount for Shenmue III" is a nice gesture in theory, but do the people who say it have the money to do so? Really?

Perhaps. I mean, we are talking about gamers here. A game system is $200-400 these days. Games are $60 new, $20-$30 a pop old or used. Our kind do spend a decent amount of money on this hobby.
Say the average person decides "you know what, instead of buying these newer much more inferior games, ill contribute to a kickstarter and get Shenmue 3, a game ive been waiting ~13 years to play."
Personally thats how id look at it. Others might be more cheap and spend less, others might spend more. It's all a super rough estimate of an estimate. I'm frankly just very curious and abit bored imo. So thats why I spread it here.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:38 am

This is what I mean though, if you don't have the exact amount (or more, obviously) in your account at the time Kickstarter removes it, then your pledge is null and void. And would you really put yourself through potentially severe financial difficulty for a video game? There's hypothetical in the wishful thinking sense, then there's hypothetical with common sense, thinking within the confines of reality.

And $300k wouldn't be enough for Suzuki's idea of Shenmue III, but it'd defo bag us HD re-releases of I&II with a lot of extra features.

Oh, yeah, I forgot people spend that amount on new games. Are you lot fucking insane?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:13 am

Well, I really doubt many people would over spend themselves into a detrimental position. I'm sure some guy out there with alittle more passion then reality might make that mistake but a majority of people making a mistake like that? (theirs one person we both know that would definitely do that though, repeat offender. He's obviously the minority.)
So I think more people do have hypothetical common sense then wishful thinking. Shenmue fans are all about our age now, late 20's early 30's, generally financially independent(at different income levels) and able to pay their bills on time.

I think you're right about 300,000k though not being enough. Atleast to make it the best as possible. So lets say this is what they would need for 50-70% of funding?
500,000k is huge. I dont know if any game series could accomplish that besides a huge AAA title. I dont know.. but would Sega or another company with similar finances even care that much to fund something past 300,000k? I doubt the Yakuza games even cost them that much. They seem so cheap, but thats just my opinion.
Ofcourse if it went to a studio and publisher like Sony, perhaps yes 500,000k might be very much a reality because of the level of quality they would want to put into it and generally how much it costs to use a company like Sony. I find it interesting to discuss.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yama » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 am

I think a kickstarter could at the very least help fund a large portion of development and help SEGA see it's potential profitability if marketed correctly (Heavy Rain). The only way to see such a thing however would be an officially backed kickstarter, nothing else will receive the type of media attention necessary. With that said, if enough is raised unofficially they'll certainly raise an eyebrow, but that's the only thing they've consistently done and it hardly ever amounts to anything. As devoted fans though, there's nothing wrong with trying.

MiTT3NZ wrote:I've got a feeling more than a few people are "donating" more than they'd be able to afford. The whole "I'd pay x amount for Shenmue III" is a nice gesture in theory, but do the people who say it have the money to do so? Really?

You're not wrong, haha. With that said the one thing we have going for us is our age group. I mean owning all three current consoles comes out to about $1200 and there's hardly anything to play. The ability to sink a decade or so into one of my favorite series of all time once more? It's worth more than that. Twisted outlook, certainly, but one that'd help me part with some cash as would many others who are financially able.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby BlueMue » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52 am

There was already some kind off poll going on about how much people would be willing to put into a Shenmue kickstarter. AXM have you looked into that aswell? Wasn't that long ago that it got posted here.

Anyway I would probably spend a fortune if this ever came true and looked promising that we really get a good Shenmue III and also that I have a fortune to spend. But that aside I would certainly donate $200 for a Shenmue III kickstarer.

I also want to repeat what I wrote in another thread about funding Shenmue III. It's clear that it won't make enough money to make the entire game, even though it would propably get huge medial attention and gather quite alot of money.
I still think it would be a good idea for Yu Suzuki to use the money to build a foundation for the game. Get the necessary research and designs done and create a little demo to showcase how the game could turn out. At that point the whole project might get green light from Sega and one of the three big players is then willing to invest and bring it onto it's system.

That is, if the money goes to Yu Suzuki and he can actually build something without any license issues and he doesn't do a shitty job and all...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Outlawstar98 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:45 pm

I'd toss in 1,000$ towards a HD remake or a III.
Outlawstar98
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: outlawstar98
Steam: outlawstar98
Currently playing: EVERYTHING

Next

Return to Shenmue III