Were you upset when Shenmue ended?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Were you upset when Shenmue ended?

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Cast your minds back to the first time you reached the conclusion of the first Shenmue. You've said your goodbyes to your friends and family; you've taken one last walk through Dobuita; you've bested Chai in one last scrap; and you've boarded the ship to take you on the next step of your journey... and then something happens that seemed like it never would: the game ends.

I can safely say that Shenmue is one of very few games - maybe even the only game - that I never wanted to end, and was pretty bummed out when it actually happened. My nine year-old self was all like :sad: when Ryo boarded the ship and the music started playing; I very specifically remember thinking, 'W-what's... what's going on?...', and then feeling empty when I realised it was over and I would have to wait however long until the next chapter. (Man, that hurt...) But then I started all over again and it helped ease the pain :).

Do you remember how you felt when the game came to an end? Were you upset? Satisfied? Absolutely bubbling for the next game? Let's hear your stories :D.

xx
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Were you upset when Shenmue ended?

Postby laagi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 am

... it hasn't really ended yet \:D/

Anyway, I don't really remember how I felt. But what I know for a fact is that it's a journey I would've not wanted to miss and has stuck with me until today. I mean there's not many things which have such an impact on you. Shenmue certainly did and still does and always will.

Also I don't recall if there was already news for a second or third part at that time. I certainly know how I felt after Shenmue II though and the years passing by... Ouch :|
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:56 pm

I remember that I was really excited about finding Lan Di. I wanted my revenge. The game couldn't just stop.
Guess I was a bit upset because at the time there was no real word about Shenmue II in the magazines yet.
So I was unsure if there would be a sequel soon, so I could continue my quest for vengence.

It was much less upsetting and unsure then Shenmue II's ending though...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:23 pm

I don't think I was upset. I couldn't wait until the sequel, which I figured would happen.
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby spud1897 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:19 pm

I was slightly annoyed but quickly realised there was a CONFIRMED sequel on the way.... seems like these things come round in circles
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Fenix » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:02 am

I was excited thinking what would wait Ryo in HK.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 am

I pretty much played it over and over again probably 3 times back to back when I first saw that ending. Something told me theirs a way to catch Lan Di before he leaves. After the 2nd playthrough I realized I was stretching my hopes too far. So I played a 3rd time and at that point ya, I was pretty fucking mad and wanted Shenmue 2 right away but had to wait for stupid Europe to get it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:51 am

Axm wrote:but had to wait for stupid Europe to get it.

Hey! Don't be hatin us just because we are the ones that got a good release for once. Hate Peter Moore!

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Axm
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:34 am

I thought it was a great ending. Although, I was like 11 when I first beat it.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:20 pm

I wasn't upset, but disappointed. Not because I knew back then SEGA didn't have plans for Shenmue III (I learned that some years later) and not by its end's quality, but because I wanted more of Shenmue (I felt a void in me after the end of Shenmue II); the story has just got bold and the longing for new discoveries and answers on the questions raised, was tremendously strong. It still is...

Edit:
You're asking for the end of the first Shenmue? O.K. I wasn't upset nor disappointed. But just excited to see what awaits in the rest of the story! Couldn't wait to experience the continuation of it. Next day I rushed to buy Shenmue II, like it was a needed food to satiate my appetite. Shenmue knows more than better and than any other game, to really make you feel the emptiness in you when you don't have the answers, when something hasn't reached its conclusion...
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby STRYKIE » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:03 pm

I felt that the ending was a little anti-climatic, sure, but I guess I was spoiled by being a newcomer and well aware of the existence of Shenmue II. I definitely felt the 'never want it to end' vibe when I got to the Guilin chapter, when I play it now it just feels damning and depressing.

BlueMue wrote:
Axm wrote:but had to wait for stupid Europe to get it.

Hey! Don't be hatin us just because we are the ones that got a good release for once. Hate Peter Moore!

To be fair, if the US DC release of S2 went ahead, I'm pretty sure that SOE would've delayed the PAL release accordingly waiting for the English dub. The fact that we (Europe) got it relatively quickly was a fluke. Just sayin'.
STRYKIE
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: STRYKIE
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: FIFA 15, Shenmue 1 Undub

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:26 pm

I just became thirsty for more Shenmue. I got really psyched up by the poem and the music playing in the background, wondering who Shenhua was and what adventures were waiting for me around the corner.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ys » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:57 am

I didn't play the game at release and Shenmue 2 had already been released a bit earlier. So as soon as I finished the game I felt that I had to continue. So I went to my pc immediately and checked out online shops to see if they had the game in stock. Few shops here did, so I eventually got a used copy on Ebay (followed later by new ones).
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Return to Shenmue