Shenmue on Oculus Rift

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue on Oculus Rift

Postby Xianweng Wong Ni » Tue May 07, 2013 7:17 am

Hey guys

I'm pretty sure you heard about this former kickstarter project Oculus Rift.( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCwczY1jTM )
So I was dreaming around and thought about how cool this would be. And I realized, Shenmue would be the perfect game for it. The best thing about Shenmue was to investigate the rich of detail world. Such a big world didn't exist before at that time. I've allways seen the Game more as a graphic adventure then something else. There were so much of useless things you could do like open drawers and browse through or buy capsule toys , move it up and down and survey that thing. Most of the people thought that's lame. But with Oculus rift in combination with Kinect, it would be pretty exciting. Also playing Darts, Punch-out or Lucky Hit would be kick ass.
I bet the fighting system can be converted too. You would exercise your moves so you could use it better in a fight. Im speaking of a first person view with simple punches and kicks and combinations of it. They wouldn't be as fast as real. You would have to look at your opponent so you can dodge neat and look for a weak point (Hint: if he is blind on one eye you have to go on the blind eyes side).
Shenmue is focused to adduce and explain you the guidelines of Martial Arts. Gon, Dan, Jie, Yi - You would feel what this really is about. The game would possibly shape you.
You would experience the rush of chases more intense. Same goes for QTE-Fights. It would be...

OK, i'm stop dreaming. We all know this will never happen. Shenmue was much ahead of the time. People who were able to immerse themself deep in the game loved it. With this device it would be easier for the people who weren't able to do that. These are my thoughts so far...
Xianweng Wong Ni
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: Shenmue on Oculus Rift

Postby south carmain » Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 am

Though what you are saying seems like a dream far away i think it would be possible to mod shenmue to make it more oculus friendly, like modding the camera to be constantly first person view is something that should be possible
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Xianweng Wong Ni » Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah i was fantasize about a whole new Shenmue Game. What you're saying should be possible and could be nice for some die-hard fans but that's nothing what would make the game any better i guess. Remembers me of me writing hours on a code for GlovePie to play Shenmue 2 on Emulator through motion control with a Wii-Mote & Nunchuck, just to notice that it SUCKS.
Xianweng Wong Ni
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby raymonf » Thu May 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Oculus Rift + nullDC = awesomeness.
I hope there's a controller plugin some day.
When that happens, I'll buy the Rift. If by 10 years, that doesn't happen, no Rift. :D
I'll be using a Nintendo Virtual Boy.
raymonf
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Anthony817 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:25 am

I have been wanting to buy one for a while. I am waiting for the 1080p version, currently dev kits are under 720p, and it gets pretty blurry and has lots of jaggies.

I would pick up a 1080p version for $300 easily.

There is already an alternative but it was only made in limited quantities. Sony Personal 3D viewer. It cost $700 new though, and works on any system. Oh, did I mention its 720p?
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat May 11, 2013 9:34 am

Yeah pretty promising stuff... So far it already supports a few games. I never liked skyrim, just ain't my kind of game, but in stereoscopic 3D it's just DAMN impressive. Shenmue would be killer, maybe it's even possible since with NullDC + stereoscopic plugin + "some" older nvidia cards with old stereo 3D driver make it possible to play stereoscopic.

phpBB [video]

Edit: ahhh awesomeness, youtube tags dun work any more. but i guess you can just copy the link...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Xianweng Wong Ni » Sat May 11, 2013 2:39 pm

wow i used the blue/red glasses and that clip is pretty impressive!
Xianweng Wong Ni
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 am

There's also a video with the bad ending in stereoscopic 3D.

I have a japanese Sharp RD-3D laptop with an autostereoscopic (3D without glasses) display which luckily came with the NVidia stereo 3D driver. Actually really adds to the game. Would love to see this on the Oculus.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 12, 2013 3:54 am

Never heard of this thing. Just another version of Virtual reality glasses. No thanks. 30 year old gimmick that always fails to catch on. Been there done that. Esp mid 90's when you had VR Bars. This thing will fade as all of them do.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 am

No Ryudo, it's not "just another version" the Oculus is without a doubt the closest to Virtual Reality that gaming peripherals have ever come close to, and complimented with the Razer Hyrda, it is damn amazing. Stereoscopic 3D isn't really that cool, I admit. I mean, if there's no depth and perspective, who cares? No matter where you look at it's still the same, it's an illusion. It offers nothing at all to enhance gameplay. That's why I dislike the 3D in the 3DS, it doesn't offer anything at all.

Pairing stereoscopic 3D with real perspective, head tracking and other motion benefits is truly something to aspire to.
Take a look at

phpBB [video]
and
phpBB [video]

This is not a gimmick, this is what people have been longing to do since it was dreamed up. And right now, that's just a devkit, so it's still being refined, and still, it's gotten tons of support from many developers and companies putting their weight behind it. You say it fails to catch on in the 90s, of course, today's a new time. No offense, but I think you're dead wrong.

Shenmue in Stereoscopic 3D, again, I agree. Not that amazing. Neat, but not Oculus neat.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 pm

To be fair here - Ryudo is pretty right. There's not much that differs from the 90s VR helmets. If you had a 1994 Forte VFX-1 you get pretty much exactly the same thing, just better Field of View and resolution. And the current dev kit versions aren't even HD. But when the final version comes out in full-HD (or even 720p) I'd consider buying one, but yeah I have a big collection of VR Helmets at home, not saying it's for everyone, but Skyrim on the dev oculus already looked promising. I just hope the Viero drivers will soon support more games. I think Fallout 3 and GTA IV would be fun on these.

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun May 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Maybe he's right about the VR helmets but I just can't agree to it being a gimmick because it actually enhances gameplay.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Maybe he's right about the VR helmets but I just can't agree to it being a gimmick because it actually enhances gameplay.

Consumers have shown in the past, if they have to put it on their face,they just are not interested to watch TV or play a game. Since the early 80's VR(and 3D glasses at home) has been trying to take off. You would be pretty surprised how cool it looked to us then as well. The problem is spending hundreds for something on our face when we are all pretty content with a TV. Putting expensive heavy things on your face just for some reason never takes off. Also there are people like me. I can't watch 3D movies because it aggravates my heart. So not all can use it. Also people like me where stuff like 3D on just 3DS gives severe eye strain and headaches after just a few min. So health related or just the average consumer mindset that my TV is just fine,VR glasses will always be a niche market. Until they can pull off Star Trek levels having a big ass thing on your face is a tough sell.

I never felt with a heavy chunk of plastic on my head added anything other than a cool wow factor for a few min but nothing more.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 pm

I've had VR helmets since the first "consumer" priced ones came out in the mid 90s. Seen their raise and fall. Back then they were pretty much gimmickery because the normal consumer could barely afford then, they were a bit impractical (Large, heavy, not portable) and few games supported them.

I think for the oculus it's pretty much the same. If they manage to bring out a kinda "universal" driver, like something that hooks onto the nvidia stereo driver or so then maybe it would have at least some support. Last time i checked the vireio perception driver supported something like 7 (in words: SEVEN) games, let it be 10 now, but that's not so impressive. I won't be an oracle telling you about the future of that device, but if it wanna have some they better get some decent game support soon.

If you regard it as a gimmick or not... I actually do. Most people do. And if apple or google would release it it would instantly be a "hit" not a gimmick. But yeah so far I wouldn't be surprised if I am among the very few buying that thing. The only fact thaat saves it here is that unlike 1994 Forte VFX-1 VR Helmet it is not supposed to come with a 2000 Dollar price tag. So maybe it will gather some fans simply because it will be affordable?

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Marulu » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey there, this is my first post here!

I heard some of you guys are interested in playing Shenmue on the Oculus Rift. Thats a nice coincidence, because I am giant fan of Shenmue and a indie dev that own a Oculus Rift dev kit. So I just went ahead and tried to get the NullDC emulator to run on the Rift with Shenmue. The video below shows Shenmue formatted to be viewed inside the Oculus Rift.

phpBB [video]

I still have to implement head tracking, and adjust the UI elements to be viewable inside the Rift.
Also at the moment only the UI is 3D, I still have to look into how to get this to render properly in directx 3D, so I can create some nice 3D. I at the moment am focusing on modding World Of Warcraft, this is only a side project, so please don´t expect any fast progress on this.

-Marulu

Marulu has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, shengoro86, wude
Marulu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Next

Return to Community Projects