david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:19 pm

I do agree with what has been said. I am not looking for fame so i dont really care about that. But i have to admit that if i publish it through the magazine, i might have opportunities to work on another Shenmue project (not decided yet).

Nothing is gonna change except that i will be posting it on november instead of october. I mean, we've all been waiting for years to get news, so one more month shouldn't be that bad.

I do understand that you all want to read it as soon as possible, but instead of just posting it on internet, i can get it published AND post it later on, so everyone will still get what they want. Instead of going for one option only, we can have both, so i think that sounds like a good thing.

Ziming had a good idea, to use audio file when releasing it, but i'd have to cut out the parts i cannot reveal, clean up the sound etc, so not sure about that, but could be great if i can get it done.

4am in Japan, i am dead tired and keep getting spammed here and there, i am gonna get some rest.

I'll keep working on the interview no matter what. Had no time to do so today because of this so i hope i'll be able to work on it tomorrow ! :???:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby JMan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:32 pm

It sounds like you've made up your mind and wish to go for a mixture of everything: putting it in the magazine as well as Shenmue Master, IGN, ect, so I'd just say go with it. It will be nice if you could keep us updated of when in November to expect the magazine and internet posts to be made. Until then I look forward to reading your interview.
Last edited by JMan on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby C.. » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:15 pm

aizen59 wrote: I do agree with what has been said. I am not looking for fame so i dont really care about that. But i have to admit that if i publish it through the magazine, i might have opportunities to work on another Shenmue project (not decided yet).

Nothing is gonna change except that i will be posting it on november instead of october. I mean, we've all been waiting for years to get news, so one more month shouldn't be that bad.

I do understand that you all want to read it as soon as possible, but instead of just posting it on internet, i can get it published AND post it later on, so everyone will still get what they want. Instead of going for one option only, we can have both, so i think that sounds like a good thing.

Ziming had a good idea, to use audio file when releasing it, but i'd have to cut out the parts i cannot reveal, clean up the sound etc, so not sure about that, but could be great if i can get it done.

4am in Japan, i am dead tired and keep getting spammed here and there, i am gonna get some rest.

I'll keep working on the interview no matter what. Had no time to do so today because of this so i hope i'll be able to work on it tomorrow ! :???:

I just hope you come out with something and give us something after all the years of waiting.

Prove us all wrong mate, and give us something good.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenSun » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:13 pm

aizen59 wrote:

This is a MUST!!

Take your time though dude. What ever you decide is kool with us.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:21 pm

Wow, Some of the responses I see here are downright mean.

I have also been waiting as long as everyone else, if not longer, for certain answers.

However, that does not give anyone the right to be butt hurt over someone being sworn to secrecy.

Dave isn't the only one who has info he can't give. More of us here are guilty of that as well, including myself.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Dave! Get it published! It'll help out with the exposure that Shenmue needs!

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: KX-5
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby KX-5 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:07 pm

I say do both man. That way this interview can get as much exposure as it possibly can. We're Shenmue fans, we wait for ages for any tiny little bit we can get. I say you have to do what's best for exposure of the series so we can get what we all really want someday. But like Ziming said it depends on the content of the interview, hell perhaps even try going for IGN. I hate some of their practices but they do always report on Shenmue when given the opportunity. It's ultimately your call, but I think the majority of us would be ok with waiting a little bit longer if it helps get more awareness. I would personally consider it an early Christmas present or something :p
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Shadow_Exodus
Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Postby marcbret87 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 am

I would love to know all the details of the meeting, although to be fair the way David makes it sound is that Shenmue III is not even in production. In a way, knowing this information is helpful in that Shenmue III is still in Yu's head, but I can't shake the feeling that we are nowhere near to having the game. Specially when an HD re-release of the titles hasn't even happened.
marcbret87
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 am

Well since you are probably going to wait until november, i will just tell you this right now.

Shenmue III is not in production (unless its another secret, but i doubt it). But Yu Suzuki wants to make it, trust me. If you wonder why i am so sure, there is a reason. When i was talking with him, as you know, he showed me private artworks (can't thanks him enough) and while doing so, i've asked him why he did not show this to the public until today (i consider myself a random dude, i am not a pro journalist, even tho i'd love to work for the game industry) and here is what he told me :

"I am not showing this because it could be used to promote Shenmue III"

I do not know how its gonna sound to your ears but to mine, Yu Suzuki is still keeping everything because he still has the will to create it. Of course, in the mean time, he'd like to work on other projects and games, but he definetly hasn't given up on Shenmue, trust me.

I was not supposed to write this down right now, but since i am probably going to make you wait longer, take it as a gift. Do not give up guys, Yu Suzuki wants to make it, let's keep going and provide support.

DEVILLE_David has received 3 thanks from: Flatlandaniel, KX-5, Shendream
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JMan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 am

I wonder what is stopping him from starting work on it exactly.

Does he intend to do a few other projects first? Is he trying to build finances? I really don't know.
JMan

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:17 am

aizen59 wrote:"I am not showing this because it could be used to promote Shenmue III"

Has to be magic.

For Sega to use something to promote a third game would have to be something we haven't experienced in the games before. "Forklift driving, check. Cat feeding, check. Karate, check. Scroll aeration, check. Magic??? You have my attention!"
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 am

I love Yu's will to make Shenmue 3. I can only imagine the burning fire that has possesses to get it done. Truly a great game designer.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby marcbret87 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:40 am

Well since you are probably going to wait until november, i will just tell you this right now.

Shenmue III is not in production (unless its another secret, but i doubt it). But Yu Suzuki wants to make it, trust me. If you wonder why i am so sure, there is a reason. When i was talking with him, as you know, he showed me private artworks (can't thanks him enough) and while doing so, i've asked him why he did not show this to the public until today (i consider myself a random dude, i am not a pro journalist, even tho i'd love to work for the game industry) and here is what he told me :

"I am not showing this because it could be used to promote Shenmue III"

I do not know how its gonna sound to your ears but to mine, Yu Suzuki is still keeping everything because he still has the will to create it. Of course, in the mean time, he'd like to work on other projects and games, but he definetly hasn't given up on Shenmue, trust me.

I was not supposed to write this down right now, but since i am probably going to make you wait longer, take it as a gift. Do not give up guys, Yu Suzuki wants to make it, let's keep going and provide support.

Thanks a lot for the information. From your initial comments I guessed that this was the case but its good (or in this case sad) to have confirmation.

That Yu is still willing to do the game is definitely great and it gives some hope. Problem is that, judging from the things heard, this has been the case for the last few years and Shenmue III still hasn't happened. It would be really interesting to know what Yu needs to develop the game. I find it hard to believe that, in all this time, he hasn't had any offer to continue the series but I guess. I wonder what are his requirements.
marcbret87
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby JMan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:47 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:
aizen59 wrote:"I am not showing this because it could be used to promote Shenmue III"

Has to be magic.

For Sega to use something to promote a third game would have to be something we haven't experienced in the games before. "Forklift driving, check. Cat feeding, check. Karate, check. Scroll aeration, check. Magic??? You have my attention!"

I was thinking maybe concept art and wallpapers of Ryo in his new 'martial artist master' attire as well as the new villains. I think from the Shenmue post-mortem the concept art which shows Ryo adorning more traditional outfits later in the story is going to happen at some point, marking a change in his character.

I'd love if Suzuki could just point blank say what is stopping the game from hitting development. I think the clarification would prevent a lot of confusion and worry if Suzuki just laid everything out with the fans. I think there's too much secrecy in the video game industry for its own good, though some guys do communicate these development issues with their fans (Xenosaga and Onimusha HD collections). All this secrecy and you'd think these devs would be making a Deus Ex Icarus super computer in Area 51. People have said Suzuki is the sweetest guy around and I wouldn't bash him, but I'd wish he could be a little more vocal about this issue and just communicate what is going on because I just think it would prevent SO much confusion and save people’s time who are campaigning for a publisher. Is he working on other projects? Is he finding a publisher? Is he re-writing the story and therefore can’t make it right now? He might be interested later in doing it? ect. We need a reason. If this were 2004 I could understand the secrecy. But it’s been 15 years! You'd be at risk of losing supporters by now if you act all mysterious and say things like 'Ooo wait and see!' and 'You will go to the Dagobah system' and then elaborately vanish in a puff of smoke.

*Sigh* wee rant. By the way, best of luck to anyone who started university this week. :D
JMan

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:57 pm

I've talked to him about the reason behind not making Shenmue III. You'll read his answer on november but don't expect something awesome, but you might learn something (or not).

I've sent an email to Yu Suzuki about the french magazine so he can be aware of what's going on (haven't told him yet) since i thought it'd be internet only. Also offered my service in case he'd like to share Shenmue infos etc, later on. If i can get closer to him, i might be able to help the community even more, but the chances are low. But trying doesn't hurt.

2am here in Japan, resting time or i'll become a zombie.

As always, i'll stick around and come back from time to time.

See you guys !
Last edited by DEVILLE_David on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: KX-5
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:58 pm

JMan wrote:I'd love if Suzuki could just point blank say what is stopping the game from hitting development. I think the clarification would prevent a lot of confusion and worry if Suzuki just laid everything out with the fans.

I think it's as simple as Sega not wanting to risk more of their own money to fund a game that didn't prove it had selling power...or rather money making power. It apparently sold well. There are tons of variables as to why it didn't make money though.

The biggest in my opinion is the number of Dreamcast owners vs the number of PS2 owners. It basically showed that Shenmue sold very well and ended up being a great percentage of total Dreamcast owners. So if Shenmue had been released on PS2 it could have potentially sold better than the GTA games of its era.

So flash forward to today..you've got Sega which doesn't want to foot the bill completely but is open to other game producers funding a third game. But I have yet to hear any other company expressing interest in the game.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, JMan
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III