david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:45 pm

It's going to have to be official from Suzuki or Sega. I highly doubt people will donate money to anyone else even under the banner of Shenmue.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys !

I like the kickstarter option and to be honest, if i had the opportunity to work with Yu Suzuki on it and handle it as a community manager, but doubt its gonna happen.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Fenix » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks Aizen for sharing the interview.

Fuck kickstarter, lol. My wife plays lottery. If she win I'll stole her all the money and send it to Yu. Like I said in the other thread; knowing there are at least, four grandmasters and names of Chi You Men leaders I want to view this game finished.

And be carefull too. Yu said he'll need 5 games to complete the saga and he was going to try to make it in 2 game wich means Shenmue could probably finish in Shenmue IV. That's totally unfair... I really don't wanna see the story cut.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:45 pm

Yu Suzuki wants to deliver the best version possible, meaning he doesnt like cutting story's parts. However, if he really has no choice, he will try to finish the story with 2 games.

But yeah i wouldnt mind playing through Shenmue III,IV and V if i had to !
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Fenix » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:55 pm

That's only a personal opinion but Shenmue is a so epic adventure that there's no reason to launch more games if the saga has to finish in 4 games. I mean, hell yeah, of course I want to see Shenmue III and IV but I used to think that this story needs Shenmue VI or even Shenmue VII to finish it with all the original idea of Yu Suzuki.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby JMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Aizen59, did Suzuki mention what he's doing right now to make the money for this budget? Does he have a plan?
JMan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Following up on my comment before, I think all bets are off regarding Ziming.

The outline that we saw in that now-ancient image surely seems to match the artist rendition of Ziming in the comic. And the guy in the comic was surely meant to be Ziming. But now it's confirmed by Yu himself that the outline is NOT Ziming.

Could mean anything. We can even reignite the theory that Baihu is Ziming, which was thrown out by most because a Chi You Men leader would not be reduced to cage fighting (and losing to Ryo).

Hate discussing it, because the only thing more unlikely than us finding out the rest of the story in Shenmue III is us finding out the rest of the story in Shenmue III, IV, V.

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: Supa
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:39 pm

First of all, thanks for the interview, David.

Lan Di-sama wrote:- Starting point of Shenmue III; I always wondered what exact moment the game would start. I guess Suzuki's response indicates that there isn't anything else in that cave, at least not for the time being.

It could be, judging from that answer. Like they're going back to discuss things further. I remember discussions about Lan Di maybe being close to the cave and waiting. This was partly based on the Project Berkley CG footage with Shenhua defending herself.

- Shenmue III wouldn't be sufficient enough to end the game. We always thought this, but figured they'd truncate the story and cram it in. I think Suzuki mentioned this earlier this year, but it's still a new-ish development. This can be seen as good and bad, Suzuki now needs to raise a budget for two games.

Over the years I mentioned that I would actually prefer this approach. Even if it meant not getting a third game soon. That way it would largely keep the pace and attention to detail of the other games which is what we liked after all. But as you said, it's good and bad. It does show though that he's committed to bringing his vision which is admirable.

Regarding Kickstarter. Games like Pillars of Eternity and Torment : Tides of Numenera managed to break records by getting over 4 million dollars. Both are made by known developers which could also help in Yu's case of course. The only problem here is that these amounts can work for old school RPG's but something like Shenmue needs a lot more than that. I doubt that this would make Sega chip in the rest.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby JMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:57 pm

I am liking how Suzuki is opening up a lot more to the fans. During 2006-2009 all you could get out of him were throwaway comments like 'wait and see.' Now he explains what he needs to do in order to make the game as well as offer reassurance to those who were worrying regarding Sega being somewhat against letting him do it. It just speaks a lot more commitment and trust.
JMan

Postby Ryo_Hazuki--san » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:59 pm

great interview but a damn shame...
Ryo_Hazuki--san

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:37 pm

I've tried to ask the best questions while i still had time. We already knew some things but i couldn't expect to get exclusive informations only.

Yu Suzuki is really happy to see how fans are still there to provide support, seeing people that are still waiting for him to finish his game etc.

I have no details regarding his plan and even if i did, i probably wouldn't be allowed to post. But right now, i have no infos. All i know is that he's still working on finding a solution. Shenmue needs a specific budget (how much, i have no idea) but if he manages to gather enough money, nothing should refrain him from starting Shenmue III's development.

Regarding HD Remakes, no idea either. That question was one of the last ones, but i had no time to ask him, we were already done and both had to leave.

If i ever get the chance to meet with him again, i will ask him.

DEVILLE_David has received 2 thanks from: Axm, JMan
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Well he sounds like he is actively working on getting those funds and committing himself to two more sequels so that's progress.

Aizen thanks for this, this has been perhaps the most reassuring and most crucial news we have had in years.
JMan

Postby Supa » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:06 pm

aizen59, thanks so much for the interview!

Weird to think that Ziming is not a boss...what is his relation to Niao Sun in the comic and the Chiyoumen in general then? The four leaders picture that Muecas posted definitely makes it look like it is him in the shadows on the far right.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby japalp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:17 pm

These recent interviews make it sound like he has only recently started to try to get this funded. It has been 14 years! What the heck has he been doing?

I think that is the worst part of all this. It seems like he still has made no progress. He needs to come up with a plan that works already, even if it means being flexible around his vision.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby JMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 pm

I’ve been thinking this over and have one more question (sorry). Would it be silly if we were to perhaps contact Yu Suzuki and ask him whether or not we as a fan base could get together and make a donation to help toward these development costs? Would it be likely that he’d refuse this?

I know it sounds a bit...extreme. Just wondering.

JMan has received a thanks from: Marcelinho
JMan

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III