Shenmue II Cutscene Comparison (DC, Xbox, Demul, Xbox 360)

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue II Cutscene Comparison (DC, Xbox, Demul, Xbox 360)

Postby BlueMue » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:27 pm

I decided to make another thread dedicated to one of my videos as it's my 50th and something truly unique.

I recorded footage from Dreamcast, Xbox, Demul and Xbox 360 at native resolution, removed the black bars and put everything at original size in one HD video. A side by side by side by side comparison. Happy eyeball training! :lol:

phpBB [video]

By the way this was my most time consuming and complicated video yet. I obviously had to play the first disc of the game four times, keeping an eye on the time so everything was under the same light. I had to make a few little adjustments where the Dreamcast version was going far out of sync because of slowdowns or longer load times. Minor differences were left intact. The rest of the editing was also on a larger scale then usual and the limits of the software I use really showed here regarding it's preview image and video performance.

BlueMue has received 6 thanks from: Axm, Esppiral, Giorgio, johnvivant, Nahovil, ShenmueTree
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue II Cutscene Comparison (DC, Xbox, Demul, Xbox 36

Postby Esppiral » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Really cool.

I always disliked the blurry image of the xbox version, too much post processing effects.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Giorgio » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Great video. After observing the video:
- the Xbox version has higher fidelity textures and also the greatest resolution (from the console versions)
- on Xbox 360, it lacks the blur filter (which is a good thing)
- the Dreamcast version (it seems that it) has the most vibrant colours (even though that maybe has something to do with the capture card and the consequent outcome)
- with Demul (/ with emulators) you can manage to have the highest resolution (also, if you could put the textures of the Xbox version, into the Dreamcast version, then you could have the best looking version, on both console and emu versions)

P.S.: I spotted two differences in the textures between DC's and Xbox's version: i) one of the button's in Cool Z's boombox has a different color, ii) the door of the Come Over Guest House; in DC's the door and its letters are wider, in Xbox's is and are more narrower, plus taller. [I said two, because the other known differences are already known, but for those two just mentioned I have not heard before.]

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Axm
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Nahovil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Thank you for this, BlueMue.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:24 am

great video.

can you also make a video which is full screen (I understand it will be 4:3 with borders) and then do some kind of wipe transition between the different versions. you know back and forth. it would make a differences more clearer then. thanks
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am

Well this video was more of a novelty to show off actually. In the cutscenes there aren't that many differences to spot. It's more about the image composition of the systems the game can be played on.

That's why my ultimate goal is to do acutal in game comparisons where I walk through one quarter each and look at certain objects that show clear differences between the versions. I have yet to come up with clear walking paths and whatnot so they are absolutely similar. I guess that's almost impossible to pull off though.

Image transitions like you've mentioned and splitscreen would be possible I guess. Just have to look into the effects more. This would definately be a great way of presentation if I decided to just put screenshots into a video.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:12 pm

For those who haven't noticed it yet, Joy's motorcycle has a more detailed front suspension in the Xbox version.
I always found it irritating how it had no front axle in the original. It just looks as if they've forgotten to add it...

What's really strange is that this upgraded model of the motorcycle isn't used in every cutscene. Only in the very first ones, on the way to the COGH. So since I included the scene where Joy drives Ryo to work the difference doesn't show up in the video. That's why I made a quick screenshot.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, johnvivant
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fenix » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:27 am

Good video BlueMue but is it me or DC have better look than Xbox??
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby BlueMue » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Today I released my 100th video and I thought it would be best to celebrate it with another cutscene comparison. This time with stuff from disc 2. There is some QTE in it, so it packs a lot more action then the previous one.

phpBB [video]

BlueMue has received a thanks from: johnvivant
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:38 am

bluemue, does your xbox support progressive scan mode?

i have component cables for my xbox but there is no option for progressive scan in the xbox system options. i did some research and apparently european (pal) xbox's were never updated to support progessive scan whereas a patch was released to allow it in north america.

component cables give me a really nice image, but i still occasionaly get those interlaced scan lines. do you have any idea of how to get a pal xbox to play in progressive scan?
thanks
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:29 am

Well yeah the PAL Xbox does not support progressive scan at all. I bought an NTSC Xbox just so I can play (the NTSC version of) Shenmue II in 480p. I guess you can mod a PAL Xbox to get rid of region lock and turn on 480p but I haven't really looked into that.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:18 pm

I have a pal Shenmue 2 that plays on my Xbox360 , I just change the display settings to 480p and not 1080p

Is Demul better than NullDc visually?
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Demul definately looks closer to the original then nullDC. The latter still has issues with shadows and some transparencies, most notably Ryo's hair, wich you can see through from the side. Demul is not perfect either but damn close. The only thing I can think of are some minor glitches with the action icons on the HUD buttons.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Community Projects