Favorite Shenmue 1 Moment?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Favorite Shenmue 1 Moment?

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:43 am

Hey guys! Just wanted to know, whats everyone's favorite Shenmue moment from the first game? Lets hear your thoughts!
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Favorite Shenmue 1 Moment?

Postby Sonikku » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:42 pm

I want to say it was one of the lovely moments taking in the beautiful orchestrated sound track. Or the emotional resonance of seeing Ryo leave his family and home behind. Or the simple pleasures of enjoying the casual roaming of 80's streets Japan.

But nope. Would have to be the first time I kick Chai's ass in the arcade 5 years after buying the damn game. :P

IN YOUR FACE! IN YOUR FACE MOTHER FUCKER!!!1111

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Supa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:45 am

It's kinda hard to pinpoint a moment in the game that I like the most.
I always enjoy searching through the basement, owning Fuku-san, going to the arcade, starting the forklift job and the big brawl at the end. Those are only some of the highlights. There are so many great moments in the game.

One thing I won't forgett is the moment I realized where the clanking sound in the garden came from.
The sound of spilling water made me think it was some kind of automated watering system for the plants that are standing in front of the house opposite of the pond. Seriously, I remember standing there and looking around for something that's moving. It took me a long time to realize that it was the shishi-odoshi at the pond. :lol:
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:03 pm

The whole game! :D
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Discovering the secret area within your own house was one of the most thrilling moment for a lot of players for sure, considering the symbolism of the place and the mystery behind the Hazuki's family .

But in my last play, my favorite part was the second half of Shenmue when the Mad Angels' oppression raised crescendo against our poor lonesome Ryo to finally beat them all. "Ryo the young man who defeated a 70 men mafia-connected gang with his own hands". Ryo could be seen as deluded as he looks like but when you take a global view of the picture, you realize that you just control a growing living legend lol.
It would be funny if the Ryo's achievements rumors can spread out all over the country in the future Shenmue (after all, he began to be well known by the hong kong police in Shenmue II).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby JMan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:38 am

Looking for the Phoenix mirror and arriving for the first time in the harbour.
JMan
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Chaikilla » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:23 am

I loved finding rare pieces of dialogue in the game. The reactions of the residents of Dobuita to chai is a particular highlight. Also when you visit the tattoo guy mid to late way through disc he has some really interesting things to say about the Mad angels. I loved all that kind of stuff.

Chaikilla has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Chaikilla

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:21 pm

Right here:

phpBB [video]

Absolutely stunning.

xx

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Supa
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 am

phpBB [video]

This will always be my favorite.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby AM2 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:54 pm

phpBB [video]
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Life

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 am

the part where ryo and gui zhang are about to start the 70 man battle and i swear as they start their poses one of them farts! you cant tell me any different! they had gas! (must be why gui zhang disappears at 66 man down...go shit)
jump to the 14 minutes and 5 seconds mark
phpBB [video]
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:16 pm

i always found that fart sound amusing. i thought that maybe their intention was for it be the sound of ryos leather jacket rubbing/creasing as he made that pose, but i found that its not present in the Japanese version so its probably a sound glitch.

its especially funny that its preceded by them straining/ grunting readying for battle.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:08 am

johnvivant wrote: i always found that fart sound amusing. i thought that maybe their intention was for it be the sound of ryos leather jacket rubbing/creasing as he made that pose, but i found that its not present in the Japanese version so its probably a sound glitch.

its especially funny that its preceded by them straining/ grunting readying for battle.

Sure, it sounds like one of them let out a little fart, but I'd be positively shitting my pants if I were about to go up against seventy dudes :P.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:43 am

So many awesome moments, but I have to say that the ending cutscene after Ryo has the flashback of Nozomi giving him the amulet is my absolute favorite. The score is so beautiful, as is power of knowing that after all that just happened, this young man is basically abandoning everything and everyone he knows to chase after one guy who might be in Hong Kong.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby virtua_cop » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Two moments: when Fuku-san gives Ryo the piggybank and when Ryo says goodbye to Tom. I didn't care for either character until those two moments then I instantly liked them both. I thought it was really neat how the game pulled that off from a storytelling standpoint.
virtua_cop
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shovel Knight

Next

Return to Shenmue