Unused Shenmue Assets in Shenmue 2 (Shenmue 3 Assets?)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Unused Shenmue Assets in Shenmue 2 (Shenmue 3 Assets?)

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi guys,

I made a video summing up research topics on the unused assets found by LanDC and others.

Enjoy!

phpBB [video]

shengoro86 has received 5 thanks from: Axm, Chaikilla, KX-5, ShenmueTree, Snoopbob2006
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Unused Shenmue Assets in Shenmue 2 (Shenmue 3 Assets?)

Postby Chaikilla » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Nice, I always enjoy videos like these. It's a real shame the boat chapter was cut out, it would have been nice to get some real closure with Chai and apparently Ryo was supposed to meet people on the boat who'd pop up throughout his journey in Hong Kong. Like that little girl and her mother.

Lmao you really need to make a video about "Shenhua" and the tree, I need answers! Slightly off topic but I heard that there was an airport found in Shenmue 1, I would love a video on that too. e_e
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 am

Im working on the Shenhua video right now actually lol.

I never heard of an airport being found.

awesome though!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Fenix » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:25 pm

I remember when LanDc posted the unused dialogs. Probably my favourite investigation of unused content haha.

I didn't know OSY or whatever he's named was in Shenmue 2 game.

Great stuff shengoro!
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Supa » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:15 pm

It is interesting to me how many people on this site and ont he Shenmue Facebook groups have no clue of LanDC's modding work on these games. Just recently, I saw several people astonished at the old screenshots of the old man that Muecas released, and that his model was present in the game. One even asked if it was "jianming".

Maybe his work should be put together for a huge Shenmue III editorial for the site or something? Especially with all of these new interviews with Yu Suzuki shedding new light. Now would be a time to redo the Shenmue III preview section and generate some more buzz and discussion.

Supa has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Not sure who OSY is but for a mystery reason i cannot provide, i kinda know who is Rakousei. Which ... well, makes it easier to understand who is OSY but no real name on that character sadly.

Maybe i should write this down and ask Yu Suzuki who is OSY and if he was supposed to be in Shenmue II at first or in Shenmue III, if i ever get the chance to see him again.

Regarding OSY again, i am almost sure he's located in the Miao Temple. Now i don't get why OSY character datas are actually in the game but not the temple and the area itself... Weird choice annd sounds like they either had to cut it down but was originally planned for the Xbox version or... simply Shenmue III first chapter.

Nice video, keep them coming !

DEVILLE_David has received 2 thanks from: KX-5, Supa
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby KX-5 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:30 am

Also dig your videos sir James ^.^

KX-5 has received a thanks from: shengoro86
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Shadow_Exodus
Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Supa wrote: It is interesting to me how many people on this site and ont he Shenmue Facebook groups have no clue of LanDC's modding work on these games. Just recently, I saw several people astonished at the old screenshots of the old man that Muecas released, and that his model was present in the game. One even asked if it was "jianming".

Maybe his work should be put together for a huge Shenmue III editorial for the site or something? Especially with all of these new interviews with Yu Suzuki shedding new light. Now would be a time to redo the Shenmue III preview section and generate some more buzz and discussion.

I always make sure to promote LanDC's work when I refer to it.
But yes, many people do not know about the reverse engineering done by people here or any of the research topics. When I became an admin of the facebook groups, I made it my goal to make all of this info available to everyone.

I still speak to LanDC on Facebook every now and then. His work will be spoken of in an upcoming professional video documentary that I will be in.

KX-5 wrote: Also dig your videos sir James ^.^

Thanks!

Fenix wrote: I remember when LanDc posted the unused dialogs. Probably my favourite investigation of unused content haha.
I didn't know OSY or whatever he's named was in Shenmue 2 game.
Great stuff shengoro!

Those were the good old days. More unused dialog was found recently hidden in the japanese versions via embedded subtitles within character packages but im not ready to reveal the details on that yet. It came out of my work I did with ILDucci on the 99>80 shenmue 2 conversion.
As for OSY, yup he is there only as a model. He has very limited animations. He doesnt contain a walk cycle and just disappears when he moves, in my video right when i cut the footage of him, was when he began to disappear.

aizen59 wrote: Not sure who OSY is but for a mystery reason i cannot provide, i kinda know who is Rakousei. Which ... well, makes it easier to understand who is OSY but no real name on that character sadly.
Maybe i should write this down and ask Yu Suzuki who is OSY and if he was supposed to be in Shenmue II at first or in Shenmue III, if i ever get the chance to see him again.
Regarding OSY again, i am almost sure he's located in the Miao Temple. Now i don't get why OSY character datas are actually in the game but not the temple and the area itself... Weird choice annd sounds like they either had to cut it down but was originally planned for the Xbox version or... simply Shenmue III first chapter.

While I won't ask you to reveal anything, let's talk about this in private. I as well have a bit of insight as to who/what Rakousei is but it is from speculation, not confirmations. But yes, he should be in Miao Temple. OSYs clothing hints at Miao Village culture. Also, one of his animations is very specific to something the Miao residents actually do, but that will be for another discussion.
Speak to you soon David.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Fenix » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:06 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
Those were the good old days. More unused dialog was found recently hidden in the japanese versions via embedded subtitles within character packages but im not ready to reveal the details on that yet. It came out of my work I did with ILDucci on the 99>80 shenmue 2 conversion.
As for OSY, yup he is there only as a model. He has very limited animations. He doesnt contain a walk cycle and just disappears when he moves, in my video right when i cut the footage of him, was when he began to disappear.

Holy shit. You mean there are more dialogs that has never been revealed??? Are they important??
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Fenix wrote:
shengoro86 wrote:

Holy shit. You mean there are more dialogs that has never been revealed??? Are they important??

Not very important. Some of them are just rehashes of other conversations.

More info will come.

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Supa
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm

So much unused stuff. Really nice video, James, feels a bit like David letterman with a special guest - just that the special guest is Shenmue 2... =)

Also loads of unused sounds, music, ambient tracks and such. Ziming did an excessive cataloguing of the music tracks.

Personally i also like some ideas that "disappeared" due to time and money limitations, but in "What's Shenmue" you can still find an example of the original idea of what I'd call "Adaptive music" in English. The main FREE track exists in 3 versions and as far as i know it was originally intended to become more agressive the closer you get to your current goal, like it starts with light drums and the theme changes to moderate and then extreme drums in that musical piece to make the pace more intense. Some concepts like these were brilliant and even though they were dropped the game itself is still intense. But good to know they were there...

Master Kyodai has received 3 thanks from: shengoro86, Supa, Ziming
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:45 pm

aizen59 wrote: Not sure who OSY is but for a mystery reason i cannot provide, i kinda know who is Rakousei. Which ... well, makes it easier to understand who is OSY but no real name on that character sadly.

You should also ask if Guizhang was ever supposed to appear in Shenmue II like he promised, or even Shenmue III?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Supa » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:46 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
Supa wrote: It is interesting to me how many people on this site and ont he Shenmue Facebook groups have no clue of LanDC's modding work on these games. Just recently, I saw several people astonished at the old screenshots of the old man that Muecas released, and that his model was present in the game. One even asked if it was "jianming".

I always make sure to promote LanDC's work when I refer to it.
But yes, many people do not know about the reverse engineering done by people here or any of the research topics. When I became an admin of the facebook groups, I made it my goal to make all of this info available to everyone.

I still speak to LanDC on Facebook every now and then. His work will be spoken of in an upcoming professional video documentary that I will be in.

I see that you do, and I didn't mean to insinuate that your work is bad or unimportant or anything, just in case anybody decided to draw that conclusion! I am always excited to read or listen to others' views about the future of the story!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 am

Master Kyodai wrote: So much unused stuff. Really nice video, James, feels a bit like David letterman with a special guest - just that the special guest is Shenmue 2... =)

Also loads of unused sounds, music, ambient tracks and such. Ziming did an excessive cataloguing of the music tracks.

Personally i also like some ideas that "disappeared" due to time and money limitations, but in "What's Shenmue" you can still find an example of the original idea of what I'd call "Adaptive music" in English. The main FREE track exists in 3 versions and as far as i know it was originally intended to become more agressive the closer you get to your current goal, like it starts with light drums and the theme changes to moderate and then extreme drums in that musical piece to make the pace more intense. Some concepts like these were brilliant and even though they were dropped the game itself is still intense. But good to know they were there...

I found a bit of these adaptive tracks in mapinfo calls when working on the bike mod. I do not understand them too well but I see them slightly used outside of the tomato store and during XMas. Im currently looking into this for Ziming.

Ill get to responding to everyone else soon.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Return to Shenmue III