Controversial gaming opinions

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Postby OL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:03 pm

You mean Revenge of Shinobi.
Shinobi III is only numbered as it is because it followed Revenge and Shadow Dancer on the Genesis, so the English localization team figured it should be labeled as the third in a series, while in Japan Shadow Dancer was considered something entirely separate; RoS was actually called The Super Shinobi in Japan, and Shinobi III was called The Super Shinobi II.
In terms of controversiality, I mention liking Shinobi III more than Revenge because among critics, Sega nerds, and those who generally get nostalgic about the Genesis/Megadrive, yes, Revenge is considered the better of the two. Among those people in particular, it's generally looked upon it with much more fondness than its sequel. I see it all the time in reviews. Not that Shinobi III is thought of in a bad light, it just isn't usually thought of with such rose-tinted goggles, even though it's clearly prettier, better-sounding, and better-playing than its predecessor (which is why it's on so many compilations; Sega objectively recognizes it as being better, regardless of nostalgic fan perspective).

On the subject of possibly controversial Sega-based opinions:
On a system that houses games like Contra: Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes, and Alien Soldier, I readily consider Ranger X the best run & gun on the Genesis. Nothing else is as inventive or smooth in my eyes.

Also the original Golden Axe sucks ass. Alien Storm is way better.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 pm

Oh. I've never played Shadow Dancer. I've never even seen it referred as Shinobi IIi.

Golden Axe is trash.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:22 am

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
\:D/ MARIO 3 WAS COMPLETE AND UTTER SHITE!!! \:D/
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Chaos » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:01 pm

mrslig100 wrote: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
\:D/ MARIO 3 WAS COMPLETE AND UTTER SHITE!!! \:D/

Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Sonikku » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Steering Ryo around and getting him to move in just the way you want is sometimes a cumbersome and inelegant affair in Shenmue.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Chaos » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Sonikku wrote: Steering Ryo around and getting him to move in just the way you want is sometimes a cumbersome and inelegant affair in Shenmue.

I don't know if anyone would really disagree with that.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:25 pm

It's an awfully nice way of putting it too. :lol:
Some would just say "Shenmue controls suck!"
It's an easygoing series, so I have no problems with whatever clunkiness is there, really.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Chaos wrote:
Sonikku wrote: Steering Ryo around and getting him to move in just the way you want is sometimes a cumbersome and inelegant affair in Shenmue.

Oh, ok. I didn't know if I was committing Shenmue sacrilege or not. :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Chaos » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Sonikku wrote:
Chaos wrote:

Oh, ok. I didn't know if I was committing Shenmue sacrilege or not. :shock:

haha nah I'd be suprised if very many people disagreed with you.

I'm pretty sure the controls bugged me really badly when I first played the game. They don't bother me at all at this point, but they definitely could have been better.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Nahovil » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 am

Kenny wrote: ^I don't know what you mean by that.

Sorry, Kenny, I thought that by saying "Legit" you meant I was just poking fun.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JMan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:54 am

Not gaming related but oh well...

The Star Wars prequels are OK with me.

JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:41 am

Then to add to that, I reckon that Star Wars is the most overrated franchise in history, and all the films are incredibly dull, often feeling like a chore to watch. Much like the LotR trilogy.

Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3 meanwhile is one of the best trilogies of all time. I even remember getting a trembling urge to type a classic rant on YouTube when I watched a video of Mark Kermode slating the third, which just happens to be the best of the lot.

Then again he gets a lotta things ridiculously wrong. Did you know he said Chris Nolan directs his films in a way that compliments the audience by assuming that they're intelligent enough to follow the plot? The same guy who has each scene play out like the catch-up part that comes on before the screening of almost every TV show released in the last decade? I love his films, but c'mon, even I ain't blind to that.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:52 am

Oh, and anti-double posters be damned, gaming-wise I reckon it's pretty lame when Westerners refer to games by their Japanese names. Especially when, like Final Fantasy, they've fucked up on the naming/numbering conventions. It isn't smart, it's pompous.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 am

On the point of Final Fantasy numbering, I personally only refer to something like FFIII (SNES) as FFVI because I really wasn't much interested in it before it was already common knowledge that it was actually the sixth in the series, so that's honestly just how I know and think of the game; as FFVI.
But in terms of people insisting on calling something like Resident Evil by the original Biohazard title? Or insisting that Mega Man be called Rock Man? Yeah, a little obnoxious sometimes.

And while I do like the original Star Wars trilogy, I totally agree that it's overrated. They're fun flicks in my eyes, but they aren't amazing at all. I remember as a kid, repeating something I heard on tv about the Star Wars movies being "groundbreaking sci-fi," and my dad, ever the devil's advocate, was just like "How so? Aside from new methods in special effects, what was actually groundbreaking about it at all?" It's funny, remembering a moment like that, discovering the importance of objective criticism.
And kudos to the Pirates mention. Love those movies.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:36 am

It doesn't make sense to call final fantasy 6, "3", because there already exists another final fantasy called "final fantasy 3", but no other one titled "6". If you call it final fantasy 3 you're either ignorant of the naming and shit, or just being an annoying and confusing fuck.

Don't agree about the original trilogy of Star Wars being "incredibly dull" (or LotR for that matter). Think you're crock full of shit on that one.

The Chris Nolan Batman trilogy though... snore. I think they're pretty dull and uninteresting. I never want to watch them ever again, but then again I find Batman in general to be terribly overrated (alongside most American comics).
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming