Controversial gaming opinions

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Controversial gaming opinions

Postby JMan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 am

I’ve been registered on another game community forum and really like a thread they have where members can get any controversial feelings they may have off their chest whether it be a guilty pleasure, a dislike for a popular game or things that irk them about their favourite series in general. I think making our own version would allow for some interesting responses.

I'll start:

Silent Hill 4: The Room remains one of my favourite games of all time. As much as I love Silent Hill 2, SH4 interested me the most despite it being the more disliked game of the series. Homecoming is also pretty good in my opinion.
JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Postby OL » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:12 am

Eh, I dunno... just kind of seems like what Random Gaming Thought ends up being. Most here seem to kind of go against the grain in one way or another with their gaming opinions, and it usually comes out regardless.

That being said, I agree SH4 is awesome. I think SH2 and 4 are the best ones, and I have difficulty picking a favorite.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 am

I had a lot of fun with SH4, but while I was playing it I knew there was something missing because it didn't take place in Silent Hill. I came to the SH games late in the game, but 2 and 3 were my favorite. I tried 1 years ago but couldn't get into it.

My most controversial gaming opinion is that I'm not a big fan of Zelda: Wind Waker. It was a good game, and very beautiful, but I just couldn't connect to kiddie Link. I really don't want a super gritty Zelda universe, but I feel like the toon universe was a step in the wrong direction. I admit when I saw the first trailer for WW after seeing the tech demo for GameCube I was livid. I expected a graphical progression to the OOT and MM universe but the toon universe just never clicked with me. When they announced WW HD I couldn't have cared less. Now if they had done a full HD remake of OOT and MM(NOT on handheld) I would be a Wii U owner right now.

The upside of WW is that it was just about HD quality when it was released due to the cel shading. But the characters were blah, I mean, look at the kid with snot hanging from his nose...come on...

Again, it was a fun game aside from the massive Triforce fetch quest.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Well I am the only person on the planet that's not a fan of any of the AC games, and I also was badly let down by Dragon Age: Inquisition....
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Final Fantasy XII is my favourite Final Fantasy.
Cavia is one of my favourite game developers.
Ghost Trick > Ace Attorney series.
MGS4 sucks.
I like every single Resident Evil game ever made.
Persona 2 is my favourite Persona game.
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is really underrated.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Ah well, guess people are going with it anyway.

Henry Spencer wrote: Final Fantasy XII is my favourite Final Fantasy.

I'd say FFVII is my favorite, but I fully acknowledge that it's because of nostalgia; it hit me at just the right age, and shaped many of my tastes because of it.
But purely in terms of quality, immersion, all that?
Yeah, FFXII is a very close second to VII for me.

Henry Spencer wrote:I like every single Resident Evil game ever made.

Seconded.

Guess I'll add a few:

Everyone absolutely trashed it, but I thought Dark Void was brilliantly fun. Best jetpack gameplay ever.

I haven't actually played it, but I think Mass Effect looks boring as fuck. Absolutely no interest in it.

I absolutely love Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (a game generally dismissed as exploitative, unlikable tripe) for its subtle artistic value. Yeah. Figure that one out (I may make a video explaining it someday).

OL has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, St. Elmo's Fire
OL
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:47 pm

I also probably have FF7 as my favourite ever game due to nostalgia. Bought it on Steam but found it nigh unplayable on the PC. I still have the original from 1998 in that big double-hinge game case, need to get my PS2 back up and running and stick it on, then see what it'd go for on e-bay! ;-)

(not selling it anytime soon though! Plus it's nowhere near "perfect" condition)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 pm

No offence guys, but since when was FFVII being your favourite Final Fantasy a "controversial" opinion? [-X
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:09 pm

OL wrote:I absolutely love Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (a game generally dismissed as exploitative, unlikable tripe) for its subtle artistic value. Yeah. Figure that one out (I may make a video explaining it someday).

For me, personally, I don't dislike Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days because of its content (I think it works quite well, in fact; it's quite like a rollercoaster ride, and the level of violence and grittiness backs this up well), but, rather, because the game itself is a piece of hollow shit with no charm outside of said grisly content and the hand-held camera perspective gimmick, which really is nothing more than a gimmick considering the fact that you can turn it off in the options.

It's not like Deadly Premonition, which is infamous for having every facet of its production associated with super low budget, but actually ended up being an incredibly charming, fascinating game which developed a strong cult following. It was very intentionally B-movie, and it worked beautifully. Kane & Lynch 2, on the other hand, is just poorly constructed and... well, a shit game.

If you love it, then that's great, but it's still a terrible game.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 pm

ShenGCH wrote:...and the hand-held camera perspective gimmick, which really is nothing more than a gimmick considering the fact that you can turn it off in the options.

Actually, the camera style is a big part of why I value the game as something genuinely artistic, and it's not just because it's an interesting visual effect; it actually contributes to a deeper meaning behind the game. And yeah, I'm totally serious about that.
You may think it's hollow, but the way I see it there's an underlying, subtly-communicated message to the story, and the camera style is a big part of how it's communicated. It flew over most people's heads, but it is there, and the only reason I caught on to it is because one of the devs alluded to it in an interview a long while back (which I can't seem to find anymore, unfortunately).
But y'know, subject for another day.

Henry Spencer wrote:No offence guys, but since when was FFVII being your favourite Final Fantasy a "controversial" opinion? [-X

:lol:
Well I only mentioned it in response to you, but I was also agreeing on FFXII pretty much being the more objective "best" in the series.

Anymore, more I guess:

I think Mega Man Zero is absolutely the best "classic-style" (i.e. sidescrolling) Mega Man series, and it doesn't even star Mega Man.

My favorite game in the Assassin's Creed series is Revelations (while most other people seem to dismiss it as being unimportant to Ezio's and the overall story, and also seem to view it as the place where the series started to repeat itself too much; I disagree on both fronts).

Adding on to the Resident Evil mention earlier, I actually think RE5 is easily the most fun game in the series.
Co-op with a friend who knows what they're doing = a blast and a half. And RE6 isn't far behind.

I don't actually think the Dreamcast is all that great. Shenmue, Jet Set, the Sonic Adventures, and a scant few other brilliant obscurities make it worth owning, of course, but the prevailing "OMG best console ever!" mindset is just something I could never get behind.

Tenchu: Fatal Shadows is my favorite in that particular series (whereas most Tenchu fans seem to see it as a downgrade from the previous game). And on the subject, I thought Tenchu Z easily had the best gameplay in the series, while everyone else hated that game.

I think the Persona series is being milked at the moment just as bad as Squeenix does with the Final Fantasy series.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Gaming, as it is, is creatively dead. Indie and mobile are the only gaming platforms offering new experiences.

Buying a ps4 or xbox one is pointless.

Gaming's quality is going down the toilet. Hyped disappointment after disappointment.

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite Final Fantasy.

My iPhone is my main gaming system these days. I have bought only two retail games in the past year - Evil Within, Samurai Warriors 4 - and they both ultimately disappointed. Between the two of them, I spent 120 dollars. Maybe 110, I forgot if SW4 cost 40 or 50. Either way, compared to paying 1-5 dollars for an iPhone game. This has caused me to quit console gaming.

iPhone was the best gaming system last year along with Steam.

Most games today are nothing but inflated hype that don't live up to their own promises (Alien Isolation) or are lack a single hint of creative integrity (The Order 1886).

I am positive that I likely won't get a truly unique game experience (Mr. Mosquito, Mad Maestro, Chulip, Shenmue, Suikoden series, Killer 7 , Parappa The Rapper;etc.) ever again. I have seen it all, done it all. Gaming has potential but rarely aspires for it. Masters who at one point made wholly original works are stuck making homogenous schlock (Suda, Kojima). Gaming has become boring and tired.

Gamers are completely satisfied with playing the same stuff over and over again. Better yet, gamers suck and games suck. Being a gamer is depressing and breaks your heart. I will never get an ending to Suikoden or Shenmue or another Chrono game.

The playstation/saturn/n64/dreamcast/ps2/xbox/gamecube era of gaming was gaming at its height, and the sales numbers proved it too. The 32 bit and ps2 generatiosn were incredible wholly because it birthed 3d gaming and gaming experimentation was running rampant. Back then, the rules weren't set in stone and developers did all they could to make their game experiences unique and brought something new to the table. With new technology, things developers would only dream of in the past were now being realized. The only thing I can see creating such a boom in creativity again is vr or holograms.

Resident Evil 5 is a fantastic game and the most content heavy game in the franchise. I'd say it's the "funnest" RE. I think RE4 is the best RE, though. Code Veronica is the worst RE I've played (haven't played 6). It's truly terrible. Awful enemies (Bandersnatches), awful design (takes sometimes upwards of 40 minutes to get to a type writer, you have to literally empty your entire ammo on the tyrant in the cargo plane or you need to start over), Steve Burnside is awful.

OL wrote:
I don't actually think the Dreamcast is all that great. Shenmue, Jet Set, the Sonic Adventures, and a scant few other brilliant obscurities make it worth owning, of course, but the prevailing "OMG best console ever!" mindset is just something I could never get behind.

I think that if Dreamcast hadn't lost the bulk of its exclusives, then DC would be in the running for one of the best systems of all time. I already think it is without all of its exclusives. For two years of life, the amount of quality DC produced was off the charts. I can totally understand "best system ever" sentiment towards Dreamcast. It was THE fighting game system for a long time. It was also THE 2d shooter system next to the Sega Saturn as well. Plenty of great stuff that never got ported and have been lost through time such as Shenmue 1, Cosmic Smash, and more.

I think the Persona series is being milked at the moment just as bad as Squeenix does with the Final Fantasy series.

Persona is being milked because it's the only thing Atlus has going that makes a lot of money aside from EO series. SMT isn't that popular anymore and they can't afford to give it a bigger budget. Persona's milked because they need money, and their games are selling under expectations (Catherine, which was fantastic).
Last edited by Himuro on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:48 pm

^When you say Mobile, I hope you're including handheld games there, since if you mean iOS and Android stuff, then lol. I agree there's some really good indie stuff coming though. Hotline Miami 2 is one of my most anticipated games this year.

EDIT: Also, I don't think the rest of your post is really a controversial opinion at all if you've been gaming since at least the 90's - there's plenty of us who would agree with your assessment that those generations of games were the best ands the absolute peak of creativity in the industry. I'd say things are tired/dull right now too. I'm still hopeful for some new IPs that surprise me this generation, but I don't have high hopes for that.

OL wrote: :lol:
Well I only mentioned it in response to you, but I was also agreeing on FFXII pretty much being the more objective "best" in the series.

Heh, I know, I was just messing. ;-)

Adding on to the Resident Evil mention earlier, I actually think RE5 is easily the most fun game in the series.
Co-op with a friend who knows what they're doing = a blast and a half. And RE6 isn't far behind.

RE6 was a disappointment, but still was overall good to me. Agreed on RE5 though, that's easily my favourite Capcom game of last gen.

I can see that mindset, but that console has always been a "quality before quantity" console that I appreciate it a lot for. Maybe if the console wasn't so short lived, it could have stood up more. Which is the same problem the Saturn had in Western territories.

Agreed. Hopefully after this eruption of Persona games (and too many ports) ATLUS will get back to making a good variety of stuff again.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^When you say Mobile, I hope you're including handheld games there, since if you mean iOS and Android stuff, then lol. I agree there's some really good indie stuff coming though. Hotline Miami 2 is one of my most anticipated games this year.

I'm talking about iOS.

My 3ds has been sitting in my room for a year unused since Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Bravely Default. Oh, right. I bought those games last year. Make that 4 retail games bought last year. ALBW was great, but Bravely Default was good for quarter of the game and trash the 3/4s of it. Quite a stinker, ultimately. I don't even know where my 3ds even is. What a failure of a system.

Henry Spencer wrote:
Agreed. Hopefully after this eruption of Persona games (and too many ports) ATLUS will get back to making a good variety of stuff again.

They won't. Atlus can't afford it. Persona is what sells, so that is what gets milked.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Go on then, name me some iOS games that are more fresh than what's on consoles, since I think it's really just as bad on there for "fresh ideas", but with bad controls to go with it.

I'll agree that 3DS had a bad year in 2014 though. Not a patch on the original DS at all.

And ATLUS have two new IPs in the works (Deviliser and that "RPG" that both got trademarked recently) we know next to nothing about yet. Plus there's also SMT x Fire Emblem. So they're not a Persona factory just yet.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Videogames are totally misogynist.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™