Unused Jimmy cutscene at Asia Travel Co.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Unused Jimmy cutscene at Asia Travel Co.

Postby BlueMue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:44 pm

I was looking for a quick way to get to the Jimmy QTE with the Beta and found a cutscene never seen before.
There are no voices or subtitles for this scene but everything else is intact.

phpBB [video]

It seems to me as Jimmy is giving Ryo the Hong Kong ticket. The way he apologizes and how calm Ryo stays makes it look that way. I wonder if this was intended to happen before or after the fight with Chai. This scene is on Disc 2.
Would be funny if you got this ticket when you managed to beat Chai and the game would skip straight to Ryo leaving Japan.

BlueMue has received 7 thanks from: Esppiral, Giorgio, johnvivant, MiTT3NZ, nskachu, shengoro86, Supa
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Unused Jimmy cutscene at Asia Travel Co.

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:35 am

BlueMue wrote: I was looking for a quick way to get to the Jimmy QTE with the Beta and found a cutscene never seen before.
There are no voices or subtitles for this scene but everything else is intact.

phpBB [video]

It seems to me as Jimmy is giving Ryo the Hong Kong ticket. The way he apologizes and how calm Ryo stays makes it look that way. I wonder if this was intended to happen before or after the fight with Chai. This scene is on Disc 2.
Would be funny if you got this ticket when you managed to beat Chai and the game would skip straight to Ryo leaving Japan.

Great find, dude! The fact it was located on Disc 2 is very strange given that the only cutscene we know with Ryo and Jimmy inside Asia Travel Co. from that disc is the one where Ryo first goes to pick up his ticket and ends up beating up Jimmy's bodyguards and making him scream like a little girl. The music is also exactly the same as the Disc 3 cutscene where they return to Asia Travel Co. (suggesting an ominous and threatening feel), so maybe this was an alternative scene where he gives Ryo the ticket to the Philippines? It's weird because Chai absolutely ate Ryo's boat ticket in the You Arcade, and Jimmy is adamant he is unable to procure another ticket, so where he managed to get this one (given that this scene takes place after the QTE chase) is unknown.

Are there any subtitles to accompany this scene hidden within the disc?

Might be a long shot, but is there any way to pull up the textures of the ticket and maybe have someone translate them to see exactly what the ticket says? Could be the best way of finding out whether the ticket is for Hong Kong or the useless ticket to the Philippines, and, in effect, the canon of this scene.

Awesome work as ever!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Supa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 am

Awesome work! Can't believe there are still things being found.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 am

Great work as always!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby BlueMue » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:59 pm

ShenGCH wrote:Might be a long shot, but is there any way to pull up the textures of the ticket and maybe have someone translate them to see exactly what the ticket says? Could be the best way of finding out whether the ticket is for Hong Kong or the useless ticket to the Philippines, and, in effect, the canon of this scene.

I've seen this texture a while ago but I forgot where I found it. It's really not that useful as it's quite low-res and some of the text even seemed to be blurred. Also I bet that this ticket, the one that Chai eats and the one to the Phillipines all use the same texture.

I've been looking for subtitles to this scene but didn't find anything, not even in the Japanese version where I looked if there are additional files left on the disc.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:08 pm

BlueMue wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:Might be a long shot, but is there any way to pull up the textures of the ticket and maybe have someone translate them to see exactly what the ticket says? Could be the best way of finding out whether the ticket is for Hong Kong or the useless ticket to the Philippines, and, in effect, the canon of this scene.

I've seen this texture a while ago but I forgot where I found it. It's really not that useful as it's quite low-res and some of the text even seemed to be blurred. Also I bet that this ticket, the one that Chai eats and the one to the Phillipines all use the same texture.

I've been looking for subtitles to this scene but didn't find anything, not even in the Japanese version where I looked if there are additional files left on the disc.

Ah, that's a shame. So, it appears they scrapped everything related to the scene except for the scene itself? That's funny :lol:.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue