Strike While the Iron is Hot -Why Shenmue 3 should be on PS4

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Strike While the Iron is Hot -Why Shenmue 3 should be on PS4

Postby KiD » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello All,
Been a member here a long time, come back every now and then to see if there are any recent developments. Thought I would post my thoughts here regarding Shenmue and the current landscape of gaming.

I'm currently an X1 owner, will probably eventually pick up a PS4. As an X1 owner, I've seen some great games like Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, D4, that did not end up selling well. Most of the X1 gamers seem more inclined to purchase sports/FPS games. Nothing wrong with that, but then great games like the above mentioned go relatively unnoticed and it's sad because those are great games that deserve a lot of attention.

However, just by the sheer number of PS4 units out there, and a fanbase that seems to support exclusives to their console more than X1 owners, I see games that, according to reviewers, are mediocre yet still sell millions of copies (see Driveclub, The Order 1886, Knack).

What I am driving at here is I believe that the Iron is Hot right now for Shenmue 3 to be released as a PS4 exclusive. Obviously I would prefer a multiplatform release, but I think in the short term Shenmue 3 would do better as a PS4 exclusive. PS4 owners seem to be itching for a great exclusive to call their own and to support. Infamous let a lot of people down, as did Driveclub and the Order, Bloodborn looks to be the first really great exclusive to the console. But PS4 gamers love to support their exclusives, so while the # of those AAA exclusives is still low, I think it's the perfect time to release Shenmue 3 on the PS4.

As a multiplatform title I feel that the attention placed on Shenmue 3 would be lower than if it were a PS4 exclusive. As an X1 exclusive I don't think it would garner support either as history indicates with Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive, and I've noticed a lot of X1 exclusives get a lot of hate from the gaming community.

Additionally, the spike in initial sales as a PS4 exclusive would speed up the decision to make a sequel (if 3 werent the last one).

Just my thoughts, really think right now is the time to announce Shenmue 3.

C'mon SEGA, do it!
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Strike While the Iron is Hot -Why Shenmue 3 should be on

Postby Axm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:24 pm

Ya..its just too bad Sega are getting worse by the day.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:37 pm

I don't agree that Shenmue 3 would receive any less attention were it multi-platform as opposed to PS4 exclusive. Rather, I think the attention would be exactly the same across the board - unanimously positive and an insane amount of hype and excitement simply because, holy fuck, it's Shenmue 3!!! - but it would always be destined to sell more on the PS4 simply because, in my opinion, the PS4 is more geared towards games and the gamers themselves, compared to the Xbox One which strikes me as little more than a glossy set-top box that also happens to play video games. (Again, just my opinion, but it cannot be denied that the PS4 is 100% the go-to place for developers on consoles. They're very much like Steam in this regard - where the business and all that other stuff that no developer wants to deal with is pushed into the background in favour of giving the developer the freedom to do their thing, with the producers and creative types of the company at the forefront - and that is brilliant.)

So, if Shenmue 3 came to both PS4 and Xbox One, the sales would be far more impressive on the former, but the attention garnered would be exactly the same. It's not the console - it's the game itself and the people who want the game that matters.

Would it do better as a PS4 exclusive? Honestly, I don't think so. Say E3 2015 rolls around and Shenmue 3 is announced as a PS4 exclusive. It might help shift a few thousand more consoles for those who are on the fence about which eighth gen system to get, but, in the long run, it won't sell as many as if it were a multi-plat. For example, it might sell a few million as a PS4 exclusive, but it'll inevitably sell more copies if it were on more than one console.

Oh, and releasing a Shenmue HD Collection before Shenmue 3 is a SUPER important move. Not only would it be snapped up by fans of the series, but it'll inevitably attract the attention of those who have heard of the games but were never able to play them, too.

What do you think, man? :).
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:05 am

People really need to understand how general media marketing works.

Companys dont make games or movies for 'Fans', they put money forward into projects that they know will make money and increase their stockshare worth, period.

This is because of the countless other sources of media distribution and competition.

Spiderman
Superman
Batman
Justin Beiber
TMNT
My Little Pony
Starwars, etc

Are a 'Brand' regonised by 'Hundereds of Millions' of people 'world wide' , and not only sell as videogames and movies , but as toys and ALL types of god awful products. They Spend Millions on advertizing alone.

Thundercats 2011 popular right ?
Millions of Fans !
Way more popular than Shenmue ever was!
FUCKING CANCELLED
Why??
Because WB felt they would make MORE MONEY by pumping their production money into something else

Now take Shenmue ..

Its an obscure Action RPG adventure with a minor cult following about a monotone character based in Japan, he also has a strange toilet in his house that looks like a urinal on the floor???

The 'Very Least' that can be done for Shenmue without these companys spending a penny is putting Shenmue 2 on Xbox Live , but they wont do that becuase Shenmue is in LIMBO, if they put Shenmue2 on XBL they could potentially lose sales if they ever decided to make a HD version.

To make a HD version or Port Shenmue 1 to Xbox would also make people demand or question the absence of a third game. So given its LIMBO status its much easier to just Ignore Shenmue forever (also Last I heard SEGA didnt even own the rights to shenmue anymore)

Now dont take my attitude as overly negative , I DO see A future for Shenmue. Im just bored of this Ps4 debate, I also fucking hate these next gen consoles a £500 PC is already more powerful than an XboxOne Or PS4 and I certainly wouldnt buy a PS4 for any game.
x
Also SEGA dont make RPGs ! They make Arcade Sonic Pinball crap
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby alexh86 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:30 pm

If we get it this generation, I think it would have to be a PS4 exclusive. Sega is NOT going to fund a Shenmue reboot alone, they need a partner who will front money for the project. Sony is actively compiling a community-populated list of series we want rebooted or games we want re-released. Their Third Party Productions team (a new group formed for this console generation) selects feasible projects from the list and splits the cost with the developer in exchange for that game being an exclusive to the Sony console ecosystem. The only way I see Shenmue getting a reboot (or HD re-release) in the next decade is if the TPP team finds a way to work with Sega and fund Shenmue. That would mean the game is exclusive to PS4 (and perhaps Vita in the case of an HD re-release).
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Brosauce » Wed May 27, 2015 5:30 pm

I know that Microsoft or Xbox does not function in Japan but oh hell lordy it should be on Xbox One as it's sort of the Dreamcast's successor. I feel like pukeing?/puking? rainbow stars and mountains all over Indigo Plateau when I ever I think Shenmue with the Playstation controller. Eugh!

I am telling you right now. If Shenmue 3/HD was to be PS4-only. I wouldn't play it, I would mabye just watch a playthrough or if I'm able to play it with a Dreamcast or Xbox controller crossovered with the PS4 system.
Brosauce
Banned
Banned

PSN: Playstation Network
XBL: Xbox Live
Nintendo FC: Nintendo Network
Steam: Steam ID
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Education

Postby BlueMue » Wed May 27, 2015 5:57 pm

Brosauce wrote: If Shenmue 3/HD was to be PS4-only. I wouldn't play it

Oh please stop writing such BS. Sega is not around to make game systems any more. There is no reason to hate on something and be an outright fanboy of a particular system or brand especially when it comes to a new Shenmue release.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Jibby
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm

It will be on PS4, and I will happily buy one. i will even sell my Xbox to get it.

Peter has received a thanks from: Supa
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Supa » Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Shenmue is a console seller for me. The newest console I own is the first Xbox. If Shenmue comes out on a current console, I am buying one.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Return to Shenmue III