What is the closest Jujitsu style closest to Ryo's?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

What is the closest Jujitsu style closest to Ryo's?

Postby Himuro » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Shenmue brought an expectation for me that jujitsu had a lot of strikes on top of the throw oriented combat. Looking at jujitsu displays, that's not the case. It's mostly about throwing and grabs. I would like strikes too, but no jujitsu school I've found has an large number of strikes. In fact, I think jujitsu - and further, other japanese martial arts - just don't look appealing, which is surprising because the fighting style Ryo uses really appeals to me. I realize it's a game, but I was really interesting in doing something similar.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: What is the closest Jujitsu style closest to Ryo's?

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 pm

I think the hazuki style mixes multiple disciplines. I'm no expert but it seems like it has a bit of everything.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AM2 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:12 pm

south carmain wrote: I think the hazuki style mixes multiple disciplines. I'm no expert but it seems like it has a bit of everything.

Similar to Jeet Kune Do.
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby Axm » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Hazuki style seems to be a mix of Karate and Jiu Jitsu. Even Ryo refers to Hazuki Style as Karate in Shenmue 1 (with nozomi) but then as Jiu Jitsu in Shenmue 2. (with Jian Min)

Seems like you should go for Karate imo
As it prioritizes strikes first then grappling.
Ive been thinking about it too myself actually.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:34 pm

Probably started as jiu jitsu, but Iwao incorporated karate into it when he realised punching some fucker in the face is slightly more manly than rolling around on the floor cuddling a guy.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: AM2
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Calshot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Himuro wrote: Shenmue brought an expectation for me that jujitsu had a lot of strikes on top of the throw oriented combat. Looking at jujitsu displays, that's not the case. It's mostly about throwing and grabs. I would like strikes too, but no jujitsu school I've found has an large number of strikes. In fact, I think jujitsu - and further, other japanese martial arts - just don't look appealing, which is surprising because the fighting style Ryo uses really appeals to me. I realize it's a game, but I was really interesting in doing something similar.

Old school Jiujitsu incorporated strikes into it, given that it originally came from the battlefield. The reason why the Hazuki style doesn't resemble jiujitsu is because it isn't jiujitsu. It's mainly a mix of various techniques of whatever looks visually appealing. As for Japanese martial arts not looking visually appealing, that's mainly because Japanese martial arts are pretty spartan in nature and are focused on maximum efficiency and no wasted movement.

Some of Ryo's throws like the uchimata, seoi nage(the basic B throw), and the tomoe nage (I don't remember the in-game name, but whatever the default <-B throw is) are straight out of modern Judo. The arm break throw looks like it comes from classic jiujitsu. The Swallow Flip resembles a classic Wing Chun move, though other kung fu styles practice it. I think there was a throw that looked like it came from Aikido, but it's been awhile since I last played and I could be remembering that wrong.

The striking techniques could have come from a number of styles, since many striking styles share the same techniques and only have minor differences in execution. Moves like the Mantis Chop and Iron Palm could come from various kung fu disciplines. The basic punches and kicks most likely come from karate and the more fancy acrobatic kicks are probably from Tae Kwon Do. The kata that Ryo showed Hanhui was definitely karate-based IMO.

The fight between Iwao and Lan Di isn't realistic at all and looks like something out of a Shaw Brothers film. However, if we wanted complete realism from Shenmue, we wouldn't have duck races.

south carmain wrote: I think the hazuki style mixes multiple disciplines. I'm no expert but it seems like it has a bit of everything.

Canonically, Iwao probably mixed in stuff he learned from various kung fu styles during his trips to China.

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: AM2, Himuro
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Rakim » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Who Really Cares?™
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Fenix » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:52 pm

It's traditional Jiu-Jitsu but the style mixes movements from Bajiquan too. There are some movements from chinese martial arts. Remember Iwao traveled to China. He must have learnt different styles.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Himuro » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Axm wrote: Hazuki style seems to be a mix of Karate and Jiu Jitsu. Even Ryo refers to Hazuki Style as Karate in Shenmue 1 (with nozomi) but then as Jiu Jitsu in Shenmue 2. (with Jian Min)

Seems like you should go for Karate imo
As it prioritizes strikes first then grappling.
Ive been thinking about it too myself actually.

Pretty positive that this is a translation issue.

As for karate, I'm not sure. Every time I go to YouTube, it's just a display of moves and form in public fashion. I'm not sure about it, but maybe I could use some karate style suggestions. I'm not learning a martial art so I can take a gun from a robber - lol - but for self discipline, competition, exercise, weight loss, and camaraderie. So I'm open to karate. This video for instance is beautiful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iiiznDpoapQ

Calshot wrote:
Himuro wrote: Shenmue brought an expectation for me that jujitsu had a lot of strikes on top of the throw oriented combat. Looking at jujitsu displays, that's not the case. It's mostly about throwing and grabs. I would like strikes too, but no jujitsu school I've found has an large number of strikes. In fact, I think jujitsu - and further, other japanese martial arts - just don't look appealing, which is surprising because the fighting style Ryo uses really appeals to me. I realize it's a game, but I was really interesting in doing something similar.

Old school Jiujitsu incorporated strikes into it, given that it originally came from the battlefield. The reason why the Hazuki style doesn't resemble jiujitsu is because it isn't jiujitsu. It's mainly a mix of various techniques of whatever looks visually appealing. As for Japanese martial arts not looking visually appealing, that's mainly because Japanese martial arts are pretty spartan in nature and are focused on maximum efficiency and no wasted movement.

Some of Ryo's throws like the uchimata, seoi nage(the basic B throw), and the tomoe nage (I don't remember the in-game name, but whatever the default <-B throw is) are straight out of modern Judo. The arm break throw looks like it comes from classic jiujitsu. The Swallow Flip resembles a classic Wing Chun move, though other kung fu styles practice it. I think there was a throw that looked like it came from Aikido, but it's been awhile since I last played and I could be remembering that wrong.

The striking techniques could have come from a number of styles, since many striking styles share the same techniques and only have minor differences in execution. Moves like the Mantis Chop and Iron Palm could come from various kung fu disciplines. The basic punches and kicks most likely come from karate and the more fancy acrobatic kicks are probably from Tae Kwon Do. The kata that Ryo showed Hanhui was definitely karate-based IMO.

The fight between Iwao and Lan Di isn't realistic at all and looks like something out of a Shaw Brothers film. However, if we wanted complete realism from Shenmue, we wouldn't have duck races.

Canonically, Iwao probably mixed in stuff he learned from various kung fu styles during his trips to China.

Wonderfully informative post.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Sat May 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Ryo's style clearly resembles a mix of Judo and traditional karate (such as Goju-Ryu and Shorin-ryu), but as he progresses through his journey he ended up incorporating a number of kung-fu concepts. I believe his ultimate style would be the one Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter) uses, the Bajiquan (Hakkyoku-ken). Yu Suzuki was in love with this martial art at the time and he based Ryo on Akira.

PS. Sorry for bringing back an old topic, but this is really interesting to me as Shenmue had a hand in getting me to fall in love with martial arts (I used to practise Karate and Muay Thai).
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue