Rumor: Microsoft set to buy Silent Hills from Konami

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Rumor: Microsoft set to buy Silent Hills from Konami

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 29, 2015 4:43 pm

If true, this is great news for Silent Hills:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33470 ... exclusive/

I find it hard to believe that it's 80% complete though.

But as it says in the video Silent Hills was pulled from Sony Network as a show of good faith to Microsoft. That makes a lot of sense.

Now this will all be great as long as Kojima and del Toro are still on-board.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Rumor: Microsoft set to buy Silent Hills from Konami

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 29, 2015 5:15 pm

That would be so awesome if true. I highly doubt that given Konami's recent apology And it's sworn care for the franchise. Contradictions aside, fingers crossed =)
Last edited by sand4fish on Fri May 29, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yama » Fri May 29, 2015 5:23 pm

I don't care where it lands, I just want it to exist. So hoping for this to be true.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Axm » Fri May 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Love to have an excuse besides Halo and Forza to play my Xbox One. Hope its true!
Kinda funny how a supposedly Playstation exclusive would now turn into an Xbox exclusive.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 29, 2015 6:57 pm

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Axm, sand4fish
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Raithos » Fri May 29, 2015 8:22 pm

I would rather it go to Microsoft than have the series die out. Hopefully they release it on PC like they've done with other titles in the XB1 library. If true, strange that this would be the IP they go after. Silent Hill has never really been that profitable, especially after the first two games. Most have been considered financial failures. I also figured Sony had some hand in it being a PS4 exclusive, guess not. No way in hell would they have backed out of an exclusivity deal after the buzz PT generated for them.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Raithos wrote: If true, strange that this would be the IP they go after. Silent Hill has never really been that profitable, especially after the first two games. Most have been considered financial failures. I also figured Sony had some hand in it being a PS4 exclusive, guess not. No way in hell would they have backed out of an exclusivity deal after the buzz PT generated for them.

That's why this rumor is very weak in nature. The source claims it cost "billions" of dollars for MS to acquire the franchise, though the series didn't hit the spotlight in years. Note that Twitch was bought by Amazon for less than 1 billion. You'd think the Silent Hills IP has more value than that? How would MS even start to recoup their money?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Fri May 29, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm not gonna pretend to be a financial adviser and just say I hope they release this in some form or fashion.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Fri May 29, 2015 11:09 pm

I honestly don't much care, personally. Del Toro already said he's not a part of it anymore, and I highly doubt Kojima is all that keen to bother with Konami anymore at this point. Aside from Norman Reedus, that's pretty much all of the star power that was fueling this hype train. And without Kojima or Del Toro, what the hell is this project even worth?
Not to mention that the only things we know about the game are from PT, which isn't even a part of the game, and which we were specifically told was not a true indicator of what the final game was going to be. So... what was anyone honestly looking forward to, other than a few nice ideas and blind hopes?

In lieu of this, I'd personally prefer that Kojima and Del Toro re-team and just do their own original horror property, free of any previously-existing names.

Raithos wrote:I would rather it go to Microsoft than have the series die out.

Eh, the series has already been dead for years. Eleven years, actually. The last game in the series that was worth a damn (and could really be considered proper series canon) was SH4. Everything since then has been western-made fan fiction.
And even PT, as good as it was, showcased a style of horror that honestly didn't feel anything like Silent Hill anyway. So even if this ended up being a great game, it's pretty hard to say that it would have been a "return to form" by any means. It might have been a great horror game, sure, but a true Silent Hill game? Probably not as much.
So yeah, Silent Hill -- as we knew it, as we first fell in love with it -- has been dead for a long time already. It's just a name for them to slap on a box now.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 29, 2015 11:47 pm

You got a point there OL. PT certainly didn't feel like a standard Silent Hill gmae, but it wouldn't mean it would forgo of all its elements in the end product. The scene with Reedus in the city by himself looked pretty Silent Hillish to me, and definitely there were psychological aspects in the trailer plus the everyman main character. The thing is that the project had so much potential going for it. I would certainly not worry about it being a western-made fan fiction with Kojima at the helm.

But you are right, it would be so much easier if they just got together and developed a new IP instead of beating down an old dog, one that its owner doesn't even care about.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: OL
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Sat May 30, 2015 3:00 am

Honestly, Silent Hill doesn't have much of an established lore to really warrant the continuation of its franchise. I imagine you could make a new psychological horror game (about anything really) and call it silent hill -- you'd likely fool a majority of people. The team silent Silent Hill games were good, but as OL said, it's been dead for years. Before I played P.T., and genuinely enjoyed it, I didn't give two fucks about Silent Hill (and I am a fan). Downpour came and went and I barely batted an eye. Silent Hills would have been great, maybe, but it's over. We can only hope a new, decent, and at this point original, horror title will eventually be on its way.

Also, side note, but I swear Axm had the same Avatar that sand4fish has now (at some point) and I keep mistaking every single one of his posts for Axm.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sat May 30, 2015 4:10 am

P.T. looked like SH4, which I enjoyed. But only for its first person stuff.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby ShenGCH » Sat May 30, 2015 5:29 am

Microsoft can purchase the Silent Hill IP all day, but if people think it's going to be the Silent Hills as envisioned by Kojima and del Toro, they're going to be sorely disappointed. Waste of money, in my opinion.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: OL
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Sat May 30, 2015 6:09 am

Thief wrote: Also, side note, but I swear Axm had the same Avatar that sand4fish has now (at some point) and I keep mistaking every single one of his posts for Axm.

Oh I apologize. Should I change my avatar? I didn't know somebody else here had it already.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sat May 30, 2015 6:16 am

sand4fish wrote:
Thief wrote: Also, side note, but I swear Axm had the same Avatar that sand4fish has now (at some point) and I keep mistaking every single one of his posts for Axm.

Oh I apologize. Should I change my avatar? I didn't know somebody else here had it already.

No its cool. I grant you permission. I change my avatar too much anyways. Cant say its really mine.

Axm has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming