Dark Souls 3

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Dark Souls 3

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:08 pm

First E3 leak?

The sun is...melting? :shock: Also, what in the fuck is that large...thing next to the sun?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057985

- To release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2016
- PC release is "negotiable."
- 1-4 players
- Sacrifice ritual allows you to enter other people's games
- Bosses can "heat up," changing their form
- Swordfighting arts add special moves that can be equipped and changed
- Hidetaka Miyazaki (Souls series creator) rumoured to be the director

Game looks like if Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1 had a baby. Miyazaki is also rumoured to be directing this one, since he didn't direct Dark Souls 2 due to working on Bloodborne. So much for him directing the next Armored Core like he said he would like. Guy will forever be known as the "Souls" guy. :lol:

Henry Spencer has received 4 thanks from: Axm, OL, Raithos, ShenGCH
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Dark Souls 3

Postby OL » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Beautiful.
Have to say, I'm glad it's this, rather than a Bloodborne 2. I loved Bloodborne, of course, but I missed the medieval fantasy stylings of the actual Souls games. I've never been much into medieval fantasy, but Souls turned me on to it, in a way I can't get enough of. No other medieval fantasy IP scratches the kind of itch that these games do.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:03 pm

That looks great. The bleeding son.. oh man.

Henry Spencer wrote:So much for him directing the next Armored Core like he said he would like.

Yeah I've read about him saying that more than once. I bet he does. 100% OK with waiting for that to happen. Their staff has grown over the years, so no doubt its already in the works, at least in planning.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 pm

I don't personally think he's going to get shoved into a corner with one IP, like Kojima was; I think From Software's fans are generally (and excuse me for using this term) "hardcore" enough about gaming to be open to him doing different things. By that I mean they generally seem to be concerned more with gameplay and ingenuity, rather than seeing a title continue forever and ever. So I don't think he'll be getting death threats if he directs Armored Core next.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:14 pm

AWESOME!

I can definitely see the Bloodborne influence, for sure. Looks like a much 'beefier' Dark Souls, if that makes sense.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:10 pm

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Shit, is that Gwyn?
If it is, nice to see an actual direct relation to previous games. Fans are gonna go nuts with the lore stuff for this.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Last game for this IP. Hopefully the company will bring its roguelike genre to the next level in the future. Hideo Kojima is a free man, so maybe a collaboration is due now that Silent Hills didn't work out.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Eeeehhhhhhh, nah, I'd prefer Kojima work elsewhere. From Software already has tons of practically unrecognized talent working there who deserve their own share of the spotlight.
Much as I do like Kojima, if he collaborated on something with FromSoft he'd totally end up hogging the spotlight. I'd rather see people who have been with From for a while get the recognition they deserve, working on their own independent projects. Miyazaki has gotten some notoriety, so I'd like to see that continue.

And not to be a total contrarian, but the Souls series isn't quite roguelike. Real roguelikes are, believe it or not, way more punishing. If Dark Souls had actual permadeath... Jesus, I don't even want to imagine the rage that would incite. :lol:

Anyway, I don't think it really matters that this is the "last" in the series, because they already have two other games that use the same formula as Dark Souls: Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. Being the last "Dark Souls" doesn't matter much, because the same style of gameplay is going to live on for a while, no doubt.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Dark Souls 3 won't be the final game in the Souls series, game director Hidetaka Miyazaki has clarified.

However, it will be a "turning point" for both the future of the franchise and From Software, with future games potentially set to abandon the series' trademark dark fantasy theme.

Speaking in an E3 presentation attended by VideoGamer.com, Miyazaki explained (translated via Bandai Namco producer Atsuo Yoshimura) that "first of all, this is still not the final product for the Dark Souls series. However, Miyazaki-san believes this will probably be the turning point for the Dark Souls series.

"So first of all, Dark Souls has a really unique world view, so Miyazaki-san believes it is not a good idea to continuously release titles for this series. This will probably be the turning point of From Software as a whole as well, just because this is the last project that From Software has started working on a prototype before Miyazaki-san became the president of the company.

"So it's just a turning point. It is true that it will be a turning point but it's still not the final game for the Dark Souls series."

Miyazaki's comments follow one day after Bandai Namco Europe's vice president of marketing Herve Hoerdt described Dark Souls 3 as the "final episode", suggesting that the series could be due to come to an end.

However, when asked to expand on where he was considering taking Dark Souls in the future, Miyazaki explained (via Yoshimura):

"From Software is well known not only for the fantasy game, but they've been creating the sci-fi mech game Armored Core [and] also some Japanese-style games, like the Ninja games. So Miyazaki-san may introduce new direction in those genres or themes that From Software has worked on in the past in new, future titles.

"However, there are so many things that Miyazaki-san wants to work on, and though he's communicating with us saying, 'I want to do this, I want to do this', but he's actually not communicating anything at this moment, so don't call him a liar even if that isn't happening!"

Dark Souls 3 releases on PS4, Xbox One and PC in early 2016.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 pm

"Ninja games"?
Oh please oh please be talking about Tenchu. :mrgreen:
It's not the popular opinion among Tenchu fans, but my favorite in the series is Fatal Shadows, the first one that From worked on. And even though everyone shits on it, I still think Tenchu Z had the best gameplay mechanics in the series thus far. They've done cool things with the series, even if they weren't the most well-received games in the world.
Man, what I wouldn't give for a new Tenchu by From...
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:05 pm

phpBB [video]

:shocked!:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Three G's:
Good God, Gorgeous. =P~

May I just say though, I fucking hate it when only one console's brand pops up in a trailer or commercial, despite the game in question being multi-platform. I was worried for a second that it was gonna be an XBOne exclusive. And seriously, fuck all that noise.

But yeah, the game looks amazing. Some of those giant bosses look ridiculously intimidating. For some reason the crowned skull coming out of the darkness creeped me the hell out.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:31 pm

OL wrote: May I just say though, I fucking hate it when only one console's brand pops up in a trailer or commercial, despite the game in question being multi-platform. I was worried for a second that it was gonna be an XBOne exclusive. And seriously, fuck all that noise.

It's just because this trailer was shown at Microsoft's Gamescom press conference is all.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Shibiryo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Combines the godspeed of Bloodborne and the quaint kiln of Dark Souls 1 n' 2's setting. Pure gold, pure gold.

Shibiryo has received a thanks from: OL
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Next

Return to General Gaming