Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:02 am

Three Blades wrote: I saw a few people on KS requesting Chinese subtitles.

if they agree to funnel more funds into content I'll get my wife to do them for free :D (she'd love that.... lol)
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:08 am

What I hope is that we get to pick the voice overs that we want (between English or Japanese).
I live in Japan and I haven't touched the English Shenmue for years, and I really want to continue playing in Japanese, so hopefully they don't force to pick one version based on which country's PS4 we have (because I'll probably pick the US PS4).

Anyway, I'm really glad I haven't bought a current gen console yet... I was hesitating between PS4 and Wii U, but Dark Souls 3 made me lean heavily towards the PS4.
Thankfully, Shenmue 3 spared me the decision. The console that has Shenmue gets my money, it's that simple. And Zelda was the only Wii U game I was really looking forward to anyways.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:19 am

shredingskin wrote: Do we know the demographics of the kickstarter ??

Like, how are japanese people reacting to it ?? Are there chinese people ??

Shenmue Online was supposed to market the chinese market, probably they should give a call to Mao or something to promote the KS :P

I saw a number of people requesting chinese subtitles.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:21 am

Jesus.

For those of you who are commenting on figures and freaking out about this and that... All I can say is try your hardest to be patient. That's all.
In the past hour, the Kickstarter jumped 10,000. I mean that's a lot of money by any stretch of the imagination.

The only disappointment I personally have, which is an unavoidable consequence of a Kickstarter, is that I don't have more time. I want and could give so much more!! I would kill to have had a little time to get up my 10,000 and achieve my dream of meeting Yu Suzuki and giving to the top pledge. It's not out of my financial range at all, but 30 days isn't enough time for me to achieve that :(
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:22 am

Yeah, it surprised me, too. I didn't know that Shenmue was popular in China. I always figured it would be weird to them, because the game takes place in China (their own country), yet everybody in the game speaks Japanese. I guess it's not really a big deal to them after all.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby hoonding » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:22 am

I can't imagine the original English voice cast not coming back, it might be they're just strategically waiting with the announcement.
hoonding
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:23 am

hoonding wrote: I can't imagine the original English voice cast not coming back, it might be they're just strategically waiting with the announcement.

I thought it was already official; wasn't that Corey's voice in the trailer?
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:25 am

the hourly progress just jumped back up to $ 8560 :) fingers crossed!

Three Blades wrote:
hoonding wrote: I can't imagine the original English voice cast not coming back, it might be they're just strategically waiting with the announcement.

Hmm, it was close but it sounded a little different, someone should ask him :)
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:28 am

it definitely isn't him and he's also not yet involved in the project. he was asked this on twitter
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:32 am

lol, alright then. Sure fooled me, but I haven't played it in English for years.
I'm pretty sure they are trying very hard to bring everyone back for both languages. They know that it's what the fans really want.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 am

Three Blades wrote: lol, alright then. Sure fooled me, but I haven't played it in English for years.
I'm pretty sure they are trying very hard to bring everyone back for both languages. They know that it's what the fans really want.

I'd prefer the get English Shenhua from the first game back, rather than the xbox shenmue 2 english dub. I know she only did the prophecy reading but you could tell she sounded far better.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenhua legend » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:46 am

Corto from NeoGAF made a summary of the french video:

Yu Suzuki tells in that interview that the relationship with Sega is excellent and they have complete access to the first two games in order to use what they find necessary for the third episode. There's a trust based relationship.

There's an Arcade room previewed as a Stretch Goal!!!!!

Ryan Payton of Camuflaj also tried to convince Yu Suzuki to make a Kickstarter campaign. In the end Yu Suzuki chose Cédric Biscay as a partner instead (this was 2 years ago).

The images that we see on the Kickstarter project presentation movie and on Sony E3 stage are really from the proper game. Unreal 4 is the engine used. It was a prototype running on the engine but it was gameplay, not a movie.

Cedric Biscay is a Japanese Culture enthusiast with professional and personal knowledge in Anime, video games and Japanese movies. He and his company have already done some work in distributing Japanese specific media/culture mainly in Europe. And their main responsibility will be promoting Shenmue 3 in Europe.

Cedric Biscay is a Shenmue enthusiast and his company is based in Monaco and has experience in distributing and promoting Japanese culture in the West. And though they are a small sized company they have an established network of connections in Japan and Europe.

Cedric Biscay specific role in Shenmue 3 production is to actively find additional budget sources and promotion of Shenmue 3 (in Europe at least) and they are also in charge of the development of the PC version.

There's a release date of end of 2017. There could be delays of course but at this moment they are pretty confident in that tentative release date.

On the 27th of February Cedric Biscay and Yu Suzuki will be at Salon Magic at Monaco and there will be more exclusive info about Shenmue 3 at that event.
shenhua legend
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby James Brown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:29 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: the hourly progress just jumped back up to $ 8560 :) fingers crossed!

Three Blades wrote:

Hmm, it was close but it sounded a little different, someone should ask him :)

He already said it wasn't him https://twitter.com/coreymarshallVO/status/610665449592889345
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:39 am

New article on Kotaku just outlining everything we know:

http://kotaku.com/what-we-know-about-sh ... 1712187835

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, LikeZoinksYo
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:52 am

Peter wrote: Jesus.

For those of you who are commenting on figures and freaking out about this and that... All I can say is try your hardest to be patient. That's all.
In the past hour, the Kickstarter jumped 10,000. I mean that's a lot of money by any stretch of the imagination.

The only disappointment I personally have, which is an unavoidable consequence of a Kickstarter, is that I don't have more time. I want and could give so much more!! I would kill to have had a little time to get up my 10,000 and achieve my dream of meeting Yu Suzuki and giving to the top pledge. It's not out of my financial range at all, but 30 days isn't enough time for me to achieve that :(

I wouldn't necessarily call it freaking out, it's stressful, for sure. But only because of the desire to see this game be absolutely the best it can be. I imagine, for instance, if the story is not able to be concluded in this game, another sequel will hinge directly on the success of this game. For the die hard fan, the story is and will always be the most important thing. But for today's current gen' audience, a deep and immersive world to get lost in is going to be a key factor in driving game sales.

That said, I 1000% agree that I wish this Kickstarter campaign could go on for more than 30 days lol. Six months? Man, while it would still be a drop in the bucket compared to the collective figure -- I'm by no means rich -- myself, and many others could offer so much more backing.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates