Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

Postby mrc2017 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Do we have any confirmation yet that Shenmue 3 will conclude the story? I remember Yu said in an interview a while back that he would need at least two games to wrap it up - yet there is a risk in not completing it with 3. If this follow-up fails financially, I imagine any second chance for funding a sequel would disappear...

I've 'lurked' on this forum for years, but the E3 announcement inspired me to register and actually participate - still can't believe we're getting 3! Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this question!
mrc2017
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: The Last of Us

Re: Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Hell yeah it will. Ryo and Shenhua control the Phoenix and epic end fight against the dragon from Lan Di. Phoenix wins. Shenmue Online trailer spoiled a lot, but i guess if that's the story then that's the story, right? Yu is never wrong...

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Hopefully it will end with chapter 9 that yu said it has a little conclusion to the story.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Hopefully not, but probably. I wanna see another urban-based Shenmue before the end. The sense of normality and mundane day-to-day life is what made me fall in love with Shenmue in the first place, not pretty flowers n floating swords.

MiTT3NZ has received 4 thanks from: Brothaman, Henry Spencer, OL, south carmain
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Mitsuzuki » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:43 pm

It's a good question.

Perhaps we'll know in a month depending on where the Kickstarter backings net out.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby joka » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:44 pm

There were leaked pics of a white board where he originally planned like 16 chapters over 4 or 5 games didn't he?*

Over the years theres been different info and I think he said he could complete a bridged version in one further game but surely now he'll hope to extend out... The wording in the reveal was more a continuation than a conclusion wasn't it?

*Edit- found the image... 16 chapters originally planned to go beyond shenmue 4!

http://shenmuedojo.net/images/shenmue3/ ... owImg2.gif
Last edited by joka on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Well yeah i also loved drinking soda in Shenmue 1 and playing arcade games. But oh well, not what Suzuki got in mind for Shenmue 3. Unless he was totally shitting us when he supervised the Shenmue Online trailer....
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:45 pm

I think at the time of the interview in which Yu stated he would prefer three games, but could do it in two, this plan was in place. I think two games is a strong possibility
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Well we've had two games and the end was....a bit..."open"?
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:47 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Hopefully not, but probably. I wanna see another urban-based Shenmue before the end. The sense of normality and mundane day-to-day life is what made me fall in love with Shenmue in the first place, not pretty flowers n floating swords.

Don't see it happening, in the retrospective all the chapters seemed rural; Maybe a final chapter where ryo and nozomi meet ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby alexh86 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:50 pm

I wondered that as well. My gut reaction is that this is the end but they very easily could have said that this game was a conclusion to the saga rather than the true sequel to Shenmue II. Frankly, I can't decide if I want this to be the end or not. On one hand, I want Yu Suzuki to make as many games as it takes to tell his full story with no compromises. On the other hand, if the game is not a financial success, there are problems with delivering on the Kickstarter promises, or there is any other issue you could think of, we basically have no chance that anyone with a business mind would pick this back up.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:52 pm

It depends on how well the kickstarter does. If it's less than 10 million, it's the end of Shenmue after 3. If it somehow makes 11 million or more then there will absolutely be more games.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Ryo and Nozomi having a re-union and more Yokosuka would be cool (My wife's best friend is from Yokosuka in real life)... I enjoyed the urban life in Shenmue 1... I guess that's why i still play Ryu Ga Gotoku and go to Yoshinoya.... I hope they have Saizeriya in the next game (Where else can you have a Pizza and a glass of wine for under 500 yen????)
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:57 pm

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s3preview.html
In a recent interview Yu Suzuki was asked if a single game was enough to finish the remaining story. His response was that a third game wouldn't be sufficient, and that he needed at least two more. If there was no budget limitation he would go beyond that and wrap it up with 3 more games.

Q: Budget and money are the main problems... If you ever reach your goal and gather enough money to create Shenmue III, do you think that you will be able to conclude the story? Knowing that Shenmue's story is very deep and seems to be far away from its conclusion.

Yu Suzuki : Yes indeed, the story is far away from being completed and to be honest, I do not think that it's possible to end it during Shenmue III. If I had to do it my way, players would experience the ending during Shenmue V. But that seems to be a lot so I'm going to try to finish it within the next 2 games.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ShinChuck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:00 pm

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. A friend and longtime fan brought it up last night after I mentioned how we might have some closure, and she said something to the affect of, "But I don't want Shenmue III. I want III, IV, and V."

On the one hand, I'd hate to end on another massive cliffhanger.

On the other hand, I want more Shenmue, and I don't want the story to be half-baked, even after 14 years of waiting. So I suppose I'd be willing to chance it on a Shenmue IV. But I trust Yu Suzuki's judgment all the same, whichever way he goes.
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Next

Return to Shenmue III