Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

Postby GoldenLotus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:01 pm

I hope so. If not, then conclude it in IV. I've waited for too long.
GoldenLotus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:02 pm

We don't need closure everybody. We need continuation. Ideally this goes on further than Shenmue III. We've been dreaming big for so long, are we going to give up with just the idea of III? Never be content with anything! Ever.

Thief has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Himuro, MiTT3NZ, Yokosuka
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby jcjimher » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:16 pm

What I really hope is that III doesn't end on a big cliffhanger.

Make a semi-satisfactory ending with some open leads to exploit if chance happens to make a Shenmue IV.

jcjimher has received a thanks from: shredingskin
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:36 pm

I imagine Yu will want another two games at least to finish the story.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Fenix » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:19 pm

I really hope not. This would ruin the original story.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby ys » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:55 pm

As I've said through the years : I would rather get a stellar third game that doesn't conclude the story than get a shitty rushed version that lacks attention to detail and the right Shenmue-spirit. Just so it can be wrapped up in one game. I care more about the journey so to speak than the end in itself in a way.

A great game would make people long for more. A bad one could kind of ruin the legacy instead.

And as Yu said before, the end of the third game is somewhat of a satisfying conclusion. That combined with recent interviews could mean that they might choose not to cut parts of the story to fit it all in one game.

ys has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Outlawstar98 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Maybe, just maybe, release chapters in DLC. I would be down with that!
Outlawstar98
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: outlawstar98
Steam: outlawstar98
Currently playing: EVERYTHING

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:54 pm

I'll totally give Yu the fucking thumbs up.

Shenmue series is great, this game had +15 in the head of one of the best game developers of all time.

This is going to be awesome.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Bastard Yusuke » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm

It sure as hell better. It took them fifteen years just to get this sequel made. With a fourth, let's not push our luck. What would they be aiming for as a release date? Another Twenty years?
Bastard Yusuke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Renyo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:08 pm

No, I think there will be 5 because the game was revealed by showing 1 + 2 cherry petals before tons of other ones started falling down in the opening sequence.. (representing Shenmue 3)

After that they counted down from the digit 5 using cherry petals. Not a coincidence I think..
Renyo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Xandui » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:30 pm

Couple thoughts on this:

1) They've completely avoided any language suggesting Shenmue 3 is the end of the series. Imagine how easy it wouldve been to say things like "the long awaited conclusion to the epic saga". I'm taking this to mean at the very least they haven't decided yet how many more games they will do (could still end up being 1 after they're farther along in development).

It does sound like Yu has been planning this out for a couple years so i hope that means he's sticking to his guns on at least 2 new games.

2) I really agree with you all about loving the urban environments and mundane moments in the first two games, but 3 really sounds like a different beast with a rural setting + a focus on Ryo and Shenhua's relationship. I remember Yu saying the depth in Shenmue 3 would come much more from Ryo and Shenhua's interactions than the enormous environments we got used to, so i think everyone should be prepared for a very different game.

(i'm very fine with this as long as we get HD ports of the originals eventually)

3) To me, Shenmue represents the height of ambition in creativity. So few projects in any field are ever as ambitious as they were with Shenmue and that's something I personally value. I hope Shenmue doesn't get either too pragmatic or too limited in it's innovation because of an obligation to pander to a very nostalgic fanbase.

Forget the forklifts and sailors everyone, Yu is a visionary and i hope many of us will encourage him to be bold with this game instead of reading the community's ideas like a requirements list.

Getting the story finished in the most logical way is all fine and good, but i think the reason we've all obsessed about this series for so long is because of how far ahead it was of all other games in terms of building a world and telling a story. I'm not satisfied with the state of video games and would love for Shenmue to once again push the ball forward in whatever capacity it can.
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Yeah, I'm honestly hoping S3 can be successful enough that we will get at least a couple more games out of this. It would be a shame if Yu had to condense the story in and cram in so much just to get it finished, and I'm sure that isn't what he wants to do. Time will tell of course, but as others have said it's amazing enough that we are finally getting a continuation...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Previous

Return to Shenmue III