Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: It's official - Sony helping develop and publish Shenmue

Postby Rhayno G. » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:15 pm

Peter wrote: RAYNO!!!! DUDE!!!!

Jesus it's good to see you! :D

Hey bud! Good to see you too. Been a while, 10 years I'd guess. Of course this is what it took wake the dead,

Rhayno G. has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Peter
Rhayno G.
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

Riku Rose wrote: Well there is now a 31 page thread on NeoGaf with many saying Sony should cancel the Kickstarter and fund it themselves. The internet couldn't just be happy...

They should shit on the people who willingly donated while they're at it too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby joka » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 am

Tomato Convenience Store wrote:
joka wrote: It was pretty obvious Sony were involved behind the scenes in this... One question is if they're THAT involved whys there no physical ps4 copy planned?

If it smashes it's stretch targets I'm sure that'll get revised anyway but seems odd...

I think the days of Shenmue III being considered a AAA franchise are done, so I'm not sure if a physical release would make sense given how many unit sales are typically expected of a boxed product. I know the kickstarter is a huge success, but I would imagine it would have to get a crazy amount of money from kickstarter to get consideration for release as a boxed product. Plus, Sony could even have a limit on how much they want to invest in the game (risk), even with the kickstarter money. It might be budgeted to be a mid-tier downloadable game, or episodic, or who knows.

And with my AAA comment, I just mean that it's not going to be at the top of the class regarding tech like it was during the dreamcast days. I have no doubt that even without a huge budget, they'll still be able to deliver a real Shenmue experience.

What's really great about this is, in addition to funding, they'll probably get some of Sony's support with QA, production, and possibly audio/VO/Music.

It doesn't have to be AAA to have a physical release though surely? I'd understand if there was no physical release planned at all but there is- just on PC only.

My point was if Sony are that involved why wouldn't that dictate the physical copy for their own system? Heck why even allow a PC version at all....

I think it's awesome Sony are assisting but doesn't appear from the above that they're got tens of millions secretly invested in this to me..
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:35 am

I think they think of shenmue like they think of yakuza, and it's getting the same treatment as yakuza 5. But yakuza on japan it's an "actual" game, so I don't really know how much money shenmue will have.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby chris1986 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:06 am

Sony must have been skeptical about just how popular Shenmue would be, was it really that popular? Or was it just a bunch of crazy old school fans who don't even play games from this generation getting together in the masses?

The 2 million goal has already been reached and is still rising by the second, it's clear to see that shenmue will be a huge success.

It's also true that shenmue was in its prime back when it came out, but I'm still convinced that good graphics and weather effects are not what stuck with me. It's the storyline, the awesome locations the game is set in, the characters and the way they bond, and the mixture of RPG and fighting that go so well. So I hope none of this is forgotten in shenmue 3, and that there will be some exciting things inside some of those drawers and cupboards! And give us some really annoying show off gangsters that really deserve getting the shit beat out of them! But more importantly, make sure that the game doesn't stray too far away from the original, we want this too feel like a continuation and not something that doesn't have the shenmue spirit. I hope the character designs stay as faithful as possible to the originals.
chris1986
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:26 am

The most important figure is the amount pledged, but the most significant is the number if backers.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby hoonding » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:38 am

With modern day technology a huge budget isn't needed anymore to make a great looking game.

Look at Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Polish indie game, looks almost photo realistic. And interestingly also UE4.
hoonding
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am

UE4 has a lighting system that is just awesome
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: The most important figure is the amount pledged, but the most significant is the number if backers.

How many backers did Booodstained have?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby hoonding » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:57 am

Himuro wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: The most important figure is the amount pledged, but the most significant is the number if backers.

How many backers did Booodstained have?

hoonding

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Glad to hear the game is getting support from Sony's marketing prowess. Just hope Sega will stay out of it. They haven't done many good games apart from Yakuza since they got out of the consumer hardware business. Look at what they did to Sonic and Phantasy Star.

I'm glad Yu, and not Sega, is in charge of S3. And he's got a lot of guys from the original team on the project. Main Programmer, Character Designer, Music Composer, Sricpt Writer and so on. What can possibly go wrong. This is gonna be so good! O:)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/879501 ... n-a-budget

A tiny bit more clarity on Shenmue III's support.

Hadoken Hazuki has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Nahovil
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:38 pm

Hadoken Hazuki wrote: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/879501 ... n-a-budget

A tiny bit more clarity on Shenmue III's support.

Thanks for this, most important paragraph:

"To that point, Suzuki said he conceptualized the game in such a way that it’s scalable to different budgets. At the lower end of the spectrum, the game will focus more on its story, and at the upper end it will incorporate more open world elements. There will also be Kickstarter stretch goals along the way pointing to more specific features. And Suzuki said he will be bringing in various side activities and minigames similar to what players saw in Shenmue 2."
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah, it'd be cool if the Dojo could post these kinds of articles on the main page to inform people of how important continued donations are, and despite Sony's backing, the fans will seemingly directly impact the content and size of the game.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III