It's official - Sony helping Shenmue 3 a little with funding

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

It's official - Sony helping Shenmue 3 a little with funding

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:05 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Adam Boyes confirms Sony will provide some funding towards Shenmue 3, but we need to provide funding too to make Shenmue 3 as Yu Suzuki envisions.

Credits goes to Riku and Xandui and the fine folks at NeoGAF. Thanks guys.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, mikec_ct, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: It's official - Sony helping develop and publish Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Hell yeah. It was pretty obvious when Yu came out during the Sony event but absolutely glad to see it confirmed.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:19 pm

You can tell how happy he is. So cool. However, is Sony helping out with funding or just as extra help? That wasn't exactly clear.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Shenmuedabest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Thought that might be the case. Hopefully SEGA will also latch on and release the HD remasters of S1 and S2 in the meantime.
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Confirms it's actually going to be a full experience Shenmue game. SO HAPPY.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bambi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Awesome. :mrgreen:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Luke_09 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Fantastic news!!!

Although.. not that surprising when you think about it.

It did seem bizarre that Sony would actually let Shenmue 3 take up a fair amount of their presentation time at it's E3 conference just to help advertise Shenmue 3 on KickStarter (just out of the goodness of their own hearts).
Sony is a big corporation and ultimately they do want to make a tidy profit.

It therefore makes perfect sense that Sony were intending on helping to fund this project all along, with the caveat that there would be enough crowd support (which has now been more than proven with the KickStarter target being utterly smashed!)

A great day has just got even greater. Hopefully this funding from Sony can help Yu Suzuki make the Shenmue 3 he really wants to make and the Shenmue 3 that the series as a whole deserves!

=D> :D
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby joka » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:46 pm

It was pretty obvious Sony were involved behind the scenes in this... One question is if they're THAT involved whys there no physical ps4 copy planned?

If it smashes it's stretch targets I'm sure that'll get revised anyway but seems odd...
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby BigTuna » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:08 pm

So is Sony helping Yu fund it? I had a feeling Kickstarter was there to simply test the waters. 2-4 million dollars is very low.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Luke_09 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:09 pm

joka wrote: It was pretty obvious Sony were involved behind the scenes in this... One question is if they're THAT involved whys there no physical ps4 copy planned?

If it smashes it's stretch targets I'm sure that'll get revised anyway but seems odd...

Yea exactly. If Sony can see themselves potentially make a fair bit of money from Shenmue 3, I am sure that we will soon see a Shenmue 3 PS4 copy. You never know, that could even be an E3 2016 announcement if the level of funding and interest continues at this rate!

I'm sure it will also be only a matter of time before SEGA want to be involved as well; perhaps HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2 might happen in the near future if the interest stays at this level. Not only will that make SEGA a bit of money but it will also indirectly advertise Shenmue 3 for fans who are new to the saga
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Well there is now a 31 page thread on NeoGaf with many saying Sony should cancel the Kickstarter and fund it themselves. The internet couldn't just be happy...
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Suzuki said that he's been talking with sony since last year GDC

Maybe ps4 physical will be another tier, maybe they are funding the game to be a download and not a "AAA boxed goty edition DLC", scope-wise.

BTW, haters gonna hate. Yesterday they were mad they didn't know sony involvement, that 2 million were nothing, now they are mad about sony involvement

SHENMUE III IS HAPPENING !!!!! FUKK YEAAAAH
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Luke_09 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Well there is now a 31 page thread on NeoGaf with many saying Sony should cancel the Kickstarter and fund it themselves. The internet couldn't just be happy...

Yea completely agree, some people should just shut it and savour this moment!

As i've already said to someone else on here, regardless of the excitement (..and the negativity), I just think it's absolutely amazing that we are actually having these conversations. Who would have thought, this time last week we would actually be discussing Shenmue 3 and it's release?? Absolutely amazing! I'm still buzzing.
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:24 pm

joka wrote: It was pretty obvious Sony were involved behind the scenes in this... One question is if they're THAT involved whys there no physical ps4 copy planned?

I think the days of Shenmue III being considered a AAA franchise are done, so I'm not sure if a physical release would make sense given how many unit sales are typically expected of a boxed product. I know the kickstarter is a huge success, but I would imagine it would have to get a crazy amount of money from kickstarter to get consideration for release as a boxed product. Plus, Sony could even have a limit on how much they want to invest in the game (risk), even with the kickstarter money. It might be budgeted to be a mid-tier downloadable game, or episodic, or who knows.

And with my AAA comment, I just mean that it's not going to be at the top of the class regarding tech like it was during the dreamcast days. I have no doubt that even without a huge budget, they'll still be able to deliver a real Shenmue experience.

What's really great about this is, in addition to funding, they'll probably get some of Sony's support with QA, production, and possibly audio/VO/Music.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Luke_09 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:32 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote:

I think the days of Shenmue III being considered a AAA franchise are done, so I'm not sure if a physical release would make sense given how many unit sales are typically expected of a boxed product. I know the kickstarter is a huge success, but I would imagine it would have to get a crazy amount of money from kickstarter to get consideration for release as a boxed product. Plus, Sony could even have a limit on how much they want to invest in the game (risk), even with the kickstarter money. It might be budgeted to be a mid-tier downloadable game, or episodic, or who knows.

And with my AAA comment, I just mean that it's not going to be at the top of the class regarding tech like it was during the dreamcast days. I have no doubt that even without a huge budget, they'll still be able to deliver a real Shenmue experience.

What's really great about this is, in addition to funding, they'll probably get some of Sony's support with QA, production, and possibly audio/VO/Music.

I completely agree with you, Shenmue 3 realistically is not going to be the AAA title it's predecessors were. I think that's primarily down to an age/time thing. The reason why Shenmue 1 and 2 were AAA titles were because they had a big budget, great storyline that was set in a living, breathing world with changing weather effects, NPCs going about their daily routines, the ability to play in a sandbox environment all with stunning graphics. Back then, there were very few games like that.

However, fast-forward to 2015; we find that what made Shenmue so unique about 14-15 years ago is not so unique now. There are now MANY games out there which model themselves on having a living breathing world with great graphics and a focus on storyline. Think of games like GTA, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher; all of these use very similar elements to what made the first Shenmue so revolutionary.

I think that's why it's very difficult for Shenmue 3 to be a AAA title, not because it's any less of a game (it's still going to be AMAZING), but the fact that it wont be as ground-breaking because other games are using similar gameplay, storyline and environment principles that Shenmue first used all those years ago.

Shenmue laid the foundations to a fully interactive gaming environment, that's why it's so special, because it started all of this.
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue III