Yu Suzuki Makes Playstation Blog Post

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Yu Suzuki Makes Playstation Blog Post

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Hello everyone. Yu Suzuki here. It has been 14 years since Shenmue II first went on sale. The game system it was released on, the Dreamcast, is not around anymore, but the voices of the fans that have been eagerly awaiting the sequel are still there and are as loud as ever. Any country I visit for work, any event where I am up on stage, any interview I do, the question I always get asked is, “When is the next Shenmue coming out?”

Moved by the fans and their passion, I have been constantly doing my homework and preparing for this day. And here it is — today marks the beginning of the Shenmue III project on Kickstarter. If there were to be a sequel to Shenmue, I wanted the voices of the fans to be heard, so we could make it together. I knew that could happen with Kickstarter.

PlayStation fans love video games, deeply understand video games, and have great ideas about what video games should be. Your support and cooperation will be absolutely necessary for this project. Our Kickstarter goal of 2 million dollars is certainly not an easy one. However, if we do reach that 2 million dollar mark, Shenmue will live again on PS4 (and PC).

The more our project can collect for game development during this campaign, the more the game will come alive — with more quests, more story events, more mini-games, the addition of a free-battle system, and more fight options. Stretch goals are part of the project to show supporting fans what they can expect as project funds increase. Like at the 2.5 million dollar stretch goal, Shenmue I & II flashback scenes will be added.

If you have not heard of Shenmue or are a first-time Shenmue gamer, this stretch goal will give you an even deeper gaming experience. Both you and your friends will benefit from your support, and you will be helping to create the next generation of Shenmue fans.

One of the rewards for the project will be the Shenmue III Demo Version. Something like this, of course, was not around for I & II. This is a Kickstarter-only privilege that will allow you to play Shenmue III before it gets to the stores. Besides me and the development team, those who play the Demo Version will really have the first word on the new Shenmue III.
We have a lot to show you, so please come and take a look at our project page.
So, until next time!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/ ... ii-on-ps4/

Riku Rose has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Bambi, Giorgio, ShenmueTree
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Yu Suzuki Makes Playstation Blog Post

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:05 pm

FREE Battles would be an addition? Holy shit, can you imagine how stripped down the game would be if they didn't hit much higher than the $2mil mark?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ys » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Ah, so the Shenmue I and II stuff would be flashbacks. That would work well if they're integrated in the game. Interesting too regarding the demo.

But what the hell. FREE Battle isn't a given? I somehow got that impression from the trailers. I thought that a refined version would be a standard feature.

Actually, I think that we should get much more detailed information regarding their plans. I guess/hope that they have other investors since a real Shenmue game needs a lot more than a few million. If so, who invests and how much? How will funding be allocated?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Testament » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:20 pm

Guys, I'm pretty sure "free battle" refers to some sort of extra fighting mode on the side.
Testament
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:19 am

No, FREE Battle is what the fighting system was called.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, FREE Battle is what the fighting system was called.

I know this is a super stretch, but I'm going to say it anyway. We knew that Shenmue 3 was going to be a large departure from what we've grown accustom to in Shenmue 1 and 2. What if the game is meant to be less combat driven -- like with the emphasis on Ryo and Shenhua's characters -- and fighting is just kind-of a non existent thing in the game? I don't find it likely but just a thought... leading to FREE Battle fighting to be an added extra bonus incentive.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 am

No, it's not a stretch, this has been one of my biggest fears about Shenmue III... it being a dialogue and QTE-heavy borefest.

"What tea would you like, Ryo?"
"Uh... what tea do you have?"
"Well, I have green tea, assam tea..."
"What tea would you recommend?"
"Well, when I was younger..."

Oh my god, shut the fuck up and let me hit someone in the face damnit!!!

But yeah, if S2 Disc 4's anything to go by, I don't think we'll get the Shenmue we're used to until he leaves Guilin.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Kenny
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kentalis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:57 am

Even if Shenmue 3 isn't as exciting as the first two, I'm ok with that.

I didn't wait 15 years to get another taste of Shenmue's fighting system, I waited for the engaging and profound story. The combat, while decent, was always the weakest part of the franchise, imo.
Kentalis
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Mortal Online

Postby Amir » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:48 am

I'm confused: if the FREE battle system is a stretch goal, then what are the fighting scrolls for?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Thief » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:53 am

Amir wrote:I'm confused: if the FREE battle system is a stretch goal, then what are the fighting scrolls for?

Ryo's ease of mind.

Thief has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:51 am

Amir wrote: I'm confused: if the FREE battle system is a stretch goal, then what are the fighting scrolls for?

It's not a stretch goal
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Fenix » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:40 am

Maybe the scrolls are for cooking.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"