What modern gaming features would you like to see in S3?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What modern gaming features would you like to see in S3?

Postby HedlessChickn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:38 pm

First and foremost, I would like Yu to make sure the game controls like a modern game. In that I mean by getting rid of the old tank controls. It worked back then because of the limits of the DC controller. In this day and age, it would be almost inexcusable. If people find the old controls better somehow, maybe they could create the option to do so.

I'd also like to see a much more enhanced version of the original Passport stuff, but with more statistics.

You know changes are coming, because the world has moved on from 15 years ago.

So, what would you like to see?
HedlessChickn
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: HedlessChickn
XBL: HedlessChickn
Steam: HedlessChickn
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: What modern gaming features would you like to see in S3?

Postby BayStone » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:49 pm

"Second screen" feature, rehashing old VMU. Passport stuff might work there actually.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Taren Fox » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Even if it serves no purpose, I'd love to be able to eat and drink at every restaurant.
Taren Fox
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:20 pm

The ability to load the entire game world at the start so we don't have load times for going in houses and things. Have the world continuous. That's all I can think of.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby elmatto » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Some update to make the combat a little less spastic (targeting maybe?). I liked that the combat was kind of like a traditional fighter in the original games. I'd like to keep that but update it a bit. I definitely don't want automatic-fuck everything-up-arkham-asylum combat.

Maybe the ability to travel on bike would be cool.
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Taren Fox wrote: Even if it serves no purpose, I'd love to be able to eat and drink at every restaurant.

Yeah, I don't know why this is so appealing.

Even Yu wanted to do that, with noodle physics.

Also target and "back-counters" would be necessary to some extent, with multiple oponents sometimes it felt like kicking the air trying to get someone.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Nor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:38 pm

shredingskin wrote:Yeah, I don't know why this is so appealing.

Even Yu wanted to do that, with noodle physics.

Also target and "back-counters" would be necessary to some extent, with multiple oponents sometimes it felt like kicking the air trying to get someone.

For me, its the little things that, while often pointless, make the world feel like it has more depth and feel more alive. One of the main things I loved about the original games. I hope to see more of this design in Shenmue 3.
Nor
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Guns. Flying cars. Punching hookers in the face. Exploding choppers. Rockets. And racing. Also, microtransactions.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:43 pm

SHENMUE ONLINE.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:49 pm

I'd really like an online mode strictly for minigames. I'd like to have an online mode where you can choose a character and fight against them Virtua Fighter style. Or if you choose, you can play against them in Darts like you do in II with those NPCs and challenge each other for score.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Arm Wrestler
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Taren Fox wrote: Even if it serves no purpose, I'd love to be able to eat and drink at every restaurant.

Oh man, I remember I had a suggestion like this waaay back in the day when I was first part of this forum. I had an idea of like, an always present health or energy meter for Ryo. It wouldn't deplete constantly enough to be something that the player would always have to worry about, but I was thinking something along the lines of The Sims and how their Hunger meter worked. It would give the player an incentive to actually buy food (and maybe even stock up).

...Then this idea was worked into Metal Gear Solid 3.

The Yakuza games pull it off in a decent manner. The health bar doesn't constantly deplete, but if your health is low from a battle, you'd have to eat something in order to get your strength back.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: God of War

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Himuro wrote: I'd really like an online mode strictly for minigames. I'd like to have an online mode where you can choose a character and fight against them Virtua Fighter style. Or if you choose, you can play against them in Darts like you do in II with those NPCs and challenge each other for score.

Yes, and you can bet for ingame money online

That would be awesome.

But please, no microtransactions.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:55 pm

shredingskin wrote:
Himuro wrote: I'd really like an online mode strictly for minigames. I'd like to have an online mode where you can choose a character and fight against them Virtua Fighter style. Or if you choose, you can play against them in Darts like you do in II with those NPCs and challenge each other for score.

Yes, and you can bet for ingame money online

That would be awesome.

But please, no microtransactions.

That'd be fun too!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Your Boy Leroy wrote:

Oh man, I remember I had a suggestion like this waaay back in the day when I was first part of this forum. I had an idea of like, an always present health or energy meter for Ryo. It wouldn't deplete constantly enough to be something that the player would always have to worry about, but I was thinking something along the lines of The Sims and how their Hunger meter worked. It would give the player an incentive to actually buy food (and maybe even stock up).

...Then this idea was worked into Metal Gear Solid 3.

The Yakuza games pull it off in a decent manner. The health bar doesn't constantly deplete, but if your health is low from a battle, you'd have to eat something in order to get your strength back.

Same happens in Deadly Premonition.

But those are more action oriented games, I would not like having a health life while just talking with shenhua or looking at the trees.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Himuro wrote: The ability to load the entire game world at the start so we don't have load times for going in houses and things. Have the world continuous. That's all I can think of.

Absolutely this. However, one thing I loved about the old games is that every district, every neighborhood, every quarter for the most part and every building you could enter had it's own music. And the loading screen sort of acted as a transition into a new song. I love the different environmental music for each area and I'm sure they could still incorporate it somehow.

JaySw34 has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Next

Return to Shenmue III