What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Graduated grade school, high school, and college. Moved to a bigger city and have my own apartment here that I share with my two kitties. Also realized I'm gay, but I think this happened before the long drought of Shenmue when I realized I was more digitally attracted to Ryo and Ren than Joy and Nozomi. Still working on some longer term goals and dreams, but I've basically lived half my life since I first played Shenmue (I was 13 then and am now 25 - 12 year wait for me). Also discovered a passion for live music and travel and have been on some wild adventures with some truly special friends I've made all over the world.

Shenmue, though, has always been something deeply personal and unique to myself. While I managed to turn a few friends onto the game over the years, there's really no one close to me currently that I was able to share this glorious news with. Except you guys of course! I was never terribly involved and have been mostly inactive for the past 8 years but the fact you're all still here and the Dojo itself is completely in tact makes me smile big.

Its going to be a lot of fun anticipating this release with you all and I'm looking forward to playing some Shenmue this weekend. Now who wants to raid every room in every building of Kowloon and look for Easter eggs?

Lan Di-sama has received 2 thanks from: Birty, Yukupo
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby goaliefrk » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: Graduated grade school, high school, and college. Moved to a bigger city and have my own apartment here that I share with my two kitties. Also realized I'm gay, but I think this happened before the long drought of Shenmue when I realized I was more digitally attracted to Ryo and Ren than Joy and Nozomi. Still working on some longer term goals and dreams, but I've basically lived half my life since I first played Shenmue (I was 13 then and am now 25 - 12 year wait for me). Also discovered a passion for live music and travel and have been on some wild adventures with some truly special friends I've made all over the world.

Shenmue, though, has always been something deeply personal and unique to myself. While I managed to turn a few friends onto the game over the years, there's really no one close to me currently that I was able to share this glorious news with. Except you guys of course! I was never terribly involved and have been mostly inactive for the past 8 years but the fact you're all still here and the Dojo itself is completely in tact makes me smile big.

Its going to be a lot of fun anticipating this release with you all and I'm looking forward to playing some Shenmue this weekend. Now who wants to raid every room in every building of Kowloon and look for Easter eggs?

It's so cool to see how everyone is doing today! Glad the Dojo and all of us are here to share the special moment of S3!

Man I remember ya from way back.

goaliefrk has received 2 thanks from: Birty, Lan Di-sama
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby Birty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:Its going to be a lot of fun anticipating this release with you all and I'm looking forward to playing some Shenmue this weekend. Now who wants to raid every room in every building of Kowloon and look for Easter eggs?

That sounds good to me man! :beerchug:
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Birty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:23 pm

goaliefrk! I remember you ;-) Welcome back old friend.
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Birty wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote: Ah quite a lot - got married, tried to immigrate to Japan (Without success), got a daughter, changed jobs, got a car license, two cars, visited Japan over 10 times, learned programming and so on. Not necessarily in that order, but yeah i guess that pretty much sums it up. And just got older.

What restricted you from moving over there? It's one place I have never visited and the revival of Shenmue makes me want to go even more again.

I guess mostly my lack of speaking proper japanese and having the required skills. After the big earthquake economy wasn't really great and besides some iOS, Java and C++ programmers there were barely any job opening available to foreigners at all. I mean if you speak like PERFECT Japanese you have better chances but for me it just wasn't enough. So in the end i just couldn't get any job that paid well enough, that's why we all settled down here in germany in the long run.

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: Birty
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Birty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:
Birty wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote: Ah quite a lot - got married, tried to immigrate to Japan (Without success), got a daughter, changed jobs, got a car license, two cars, visited Japan over 10 times, learned programming and so on. Not necessarily in that order, but yeah i guess that pretty much sums it up. And just got older.

What restricted you from moving over there? It's one place I have never visited and the revival of Shenmue makes me want to go even more again.

I guess mostly my lack of speaking proper japanese and having the required skills. After the big earthquake economy wasn't really great and besides some iOS, Java and C++ programmers there were barely any job opening available to foreigners at all. I mean if you speak like PERFECT Japanese you have better chances but for me it just wasn't enough. So in the end i just couldn't get any job that paid well enough, that's why we all settled down here in germany in the long run.

Yeah I understand mate, it was a tough time around the earthquake, glad to hear you are doing okay now though.
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:32 pm

I was cryogenic-ally frozen.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Birty, PacemaŜinobo
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Graduated college, got my first job post-graduation, met a girl, married her. And now we've got the sweetest 21-month-old little girl. Those two ladies are the lights of my life. Now Shenmue 3 is the icing on the cake.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: Birty, FlagshipFighter
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:41 pm

The Highlights for me would be

Got Married
18 month old Daughter
Analyst at a big Marketing Company
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Apparently we Shenmue fans only have daughters.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby santino » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 pm

the Knicks sucked then. the Knicks suck now. yet I still watch this horrible basketball team every year

santino has received 2 thanks from: Birty, JaySw34
santino
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:05 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: Apparently we Shenmue fans only have daughters.

because we were always thinking of Joy all the time... Well or Nozomi...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sanoichiro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Birty wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:It's crazy to think all this has happened in my life since Shenmue II came out...and by the time 3 does, I will be 30 years old...goddamn...

Don't worry dude I'm in the same boat, we can share being 30 together haha!

You're BOTH younger than me. I AM 30. I've been thinking so much about this in the last day. For some of us, we've been waiting 1/2 our lives for this game. It's like... Nothing is the same. We became adults. We experienced love. we probably got jobs. Slowly, we gave up on Shenmue. Googling Shenmue 3 every few weeks, then months, then years. And now BAM!! It comes back with all kinds of emotions that I personally can't fully deal with. I was a mess when the news dropped. But here's a recap of the last 14 years for me.

Got a drivers license - Bought a car - got a job - got fat (250 lbs at 5'6") - bought a mobile home - got married - got divorced - Working Designs closed shop - got back into martial arts and fitness - lost 120 lbs - met the love of my life - lost my mother - began cage fighting - married the love of my life - went on strike - got a DUI - went to Cancun with my best friend (outside my wife) - saw the Zelda symphony concert - had an orgy......

and NOW, I manage a small bakery, just bought a house, and found out about one week ago that my wife and I are having a BABY!!!! :D :D :D Couldn't be happier with my life right now. I always said that if I ever got to play the continuation of Shenmue, I could die happy. Just when I'd learned to live without it, here it is. Dreams come true guys. Ganbare.

sanoichiro has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
sanoichiro
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: sano-ichiro
Currently playing: Street Fighter

Postby Birty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:27 pm

sanoichiro wrote:
Birty wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:It's crazy to think all this has happened in my life since Shenmue II came out...and by the time 3 does, I will be 30 years old...goddamn...

Don't worry dude I'm in the same boat, we can share being 30 together haha!

You're BOTH younger than me. I AM 30. I've been thinking so much about this in the last day. For some of us, we've been waiting 1/2 our lives for this game. It's like... Nothing is the same. We became adults. We experienced love. we probably got jobs. Slowly, we gave up on Shenmue. Googling Shenmue 3 every few weeks, then months, then years. And now BAM!! It comes back with all kinds of emotions that I personally can't fully deal with. I was a mess when the news dropped. But here's a recap of the last 14 years for me.

Got a drivers license - Bought a car - got a job - got fat (250 lbs at 5'6") - bought a mobile home - got married - got divorced - Working Designs closed shop - got back into martial arts and fitness - lost 120 lbs - met the love of my life - lost my mother - began cage fighting - married the love of my life - went on strike - got a DUI - went to Cancun with my best friend (outside my wife) - saw the Zelda symphony concert - had an orgy......

and NOW, I manage a small bakery, just bought a house, and found out about one week ago that my wife and I are having a BABY!!!! :D :D :D Couldn't be happier with my life right now. I always said that if I ever got to play the continuation of Shenmue, I could die happy. Just when I'd learned to live without it, here it is. Dreams come true guys. Ganbare.

And that is why Shenmue is so amazing, congratulations on the baby news too dude :D
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ThomasMackenzie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Went to college, met my girlfriend. Got a driving license (owned a couple of cars).

Went to University and subsequently dropped out and started working in IT security. Moved down to London (from Yorkshire to Wimbledon) where I still am now. Worked for a number of IT Security consultancies and Visa Europe. Traveled the world speaking at conferences and delivering training, spent 2 months in China and visited Guilin. Hopped over to Hong Kong and visited Man Mo Temple.

Asked my long term girlfriend to marry me. Getting married in August.

I am sure there is more, but since the announcement I can't think straight :D

ThomasMackenzie has received a thanks from: Birty
ThomasMackenzie
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III