New generation of Shenmue fans?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

New generation of Shenmue fans?

Postby lavrentis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:43 pm

I wonder if all this hype will bring in a new generation of fan so the series can grow.

Suzuki is keeping the story quiet but it's interesting how it will pan out ...
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: New generation of Shenmue fans?

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:44 pm

It's highly unlikely people under 20 will find it appealing. More than likely, it'll bring in older game fans like us who missed it the first time around. I know a lot of people who haven't played Shenmue backing it on KS.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:48 pm

A lot of gamers are tired of the same action game and the same trends (X gen is fps, next one is third person shooter, etc).

I think Shenmue could grab a lot of attention from younger gamers, specially those who have listened about it, never got the chance to play it and now can be a part of the movement.

Just make pewpewdie laugh at the sailor parts and you get 10mil kickstarter.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Maybe if they did a demo recreating SHII CD4 in the new engine, a lot of non Shenmue gamers would download it to see what the fuzz is all about and some would get hooked on it.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:56 pm

CD4 ??

Maybe a mix of CD3 and CD4 ending, I don't think they're THAT ready for Shenmue :P

Also CD4 is not that representative of the whole game, not a single fight there.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:56 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Maybe if they did a demo recreating SHII CD4 in the new engine, a lot of non Shenmue gamers would download it to see what the fuzz is all about and some would get hooked on it.

I don't think so, Shenmue II disc 4 is not like the rest of the series.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm going to introduce the series to my girlfriend. Probably watch the movie version of Chapter 1. Buy a used Xbox to play II because i still have the game. Hopefully she'll love it as much as I do so we can enjoy 3 together. She loved Uncharted and The Last of Us which are both story centralized games with strong character development so I'm sure she'll dig Shenmue
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Don't have her watch the Shenmue movie friend, haha. It's really bad.

Himuro has received a thanks from: JaySw34
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Himuro wrote: It's highly unlikely people under 20 will find it appealing. More than likely, it'll bring in older game fans like us who missed it the first time around. I know a lot of people who haven't played Shenmue backing it on KS.

My child will probably play Shenmue before he/she learns how to walk. I'll make sure of that.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Himuro wrote: Don't have her watch the Shenmue movie friend, haha. It's really bad.

Lol it is I know. But I don't have dreamcast anymore or a copy of SI. Maybe a full playthru on YouTube without commentary?
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby OL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Himuro wrote: It's highly unlikely people under 20 will find it appealing.

Why is that?
I do believe most of us first got into the series before we were 20... what's gonna make that any different today?

OL has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Sean
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby alexh86 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Many new gamers will be exposed to Shenmue but hopefully they will be given a viable way to experience the first two games before the third comes out. Most people will not track down an old piece of gaming hardware and two old games at inflated prices in order to get up to speed. Without that context, will the third game be as gripping? Hard to say. I'm hopeful that many younger gamers will get to experience the series. I'm 28 and I know many serious gamers but none younger than me really know what Shenmue is--let alone actually played the game.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:16 pm

OL wrote:
Himuro wrote: It's highly unlikely people under 20 will find it appealing.

Why is that?
I do believe most of us first got into the series before we were 20... what's gonna make that any different today?

They seem to mostly be into games like CoD. I think it will appeal to some of the younger demographic, but not a whole lot. I think the ones it will appeal to will be those who are looking for alternatives to the big action games that have taken over gaming. I feel like that mostly older gamers will find it appealing for that same reason, though, because they're possibly looking for something new. It just screams something that would appeal to an older gamer in these times. I could be completely wrong, but it isn't 1999 anymore. Games like Final Fantasy for instance, are mostly popular with older gamers. Newer gamers have moved on to other genres and games.Times change.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Last day or so I have been reading various gaming sites, reddit, youtube comments, etc. and its funny to see how many people, young and old alike, do not know what Shenmue is. I am hopeful that it will bring in new players, but it definitely will never be as special as to those of us who have waited 14 years.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Return to Shenmue III