Long term fans mixed feelings?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Long term fans mixed feelings?

Postby Urbangeek » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:03 pm

How many of you played this game when you was a child and fell in love with the game but now have mixed feelings about the announcement?

I for one have mixed feelings about the announcement, as on one hand I am happy that we will finally get some questions answered on the story.
But at the same time after eagerly waiting for this game for so long and maturing I feel like its almost impossible to completely satisfy the urge for the game we've all been waiting for.

For one I am sure a lot of you like myself have grown a bit out of video games, I am half the gamer I was once was and find it difficult to get immersed in games like I use to.
Secondly watching the trailer for the kickstarter where Ryo jumped across the rocks confirmed my fears of the Gameplay being quite outdated.

I know the trailer is not much to go on as its more of just a concept at this stage and I really want this game to do well.
But I just really hope Yu Suzuki can pull off a miracle (which he is capable of) and modernize the game without losing the original feel of the game.

Whats your feelings on the announcement? positive and negative?
And what changes do you think need to be made to modernize the game while retaining the original feel?

Urbangeek has received a thanks from: JaySw34
Urbangeek
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: Long term fans mixed feelings?

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Well one thing I can be fairly certain of is that 14 years is a long time to wait for something like this. It's a lot of time to wonder, think, and conceive what ones ideal Shenmue 3 can and will be. To the point where it could be very difficult for this game to be everything you've ever hoped and dreamed for it to be. That being said, I have total confidence in Yu Suzuki to deliver us the best Shenmue he possibly can. And that's all I can ask for. This is truly an historic moment for video games
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Ahhh Kate Upton syndrome... See I would see all these pictures of Kate Upton and think... "Boy...I sure would love to see her naked" and I waited and waited ( Granted not 14 years) and then it happened...BAM The Fappening. There she is just as naked as she could be and I just felt.....empty. Sure it was nice, just not quite what I imagined it would be...but given the chance, yes friend...I would indeed have sex with her.

Locke_cole has received 2 thanks from: JaySw34, myshtuff
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby myshtuff » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Can't beat that logic.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Locke_cole
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Urbangeek wrote:But at the same time after eagerly waiting for this game for so long and maturing I feel like its almost impossible to completely satisfy the urge for the game we've all been waiting for.

I've actually been saying the same thing for a couple years now.
I have absolutely no doubt that once this game is released, there will be so much whining and complaining around here because it didn't live up to the insane expectations and theories that many fans have been brewing in their minds over such a long period of time.
I'm not saying the game will be bad, I'm just saying that many people hold completely unrealistic expectations about what comes next, and there's no way it can live up to some of those expectations.
Personally, I'm open to just about anything. I've grown to be pretty good about approaching games with an open mind, even though sometimes I do harbor nostalgic bias of my own. So I expect to enjoy myself, though I don't imagine it's going to be life-changing or anything like that.
But many other fans?
If the game isn't absolutely incredible, they're likely going to be hit in the same way The Phantom Menace hit longtime Star Wars fans back when that came out. And that's not a happy thought.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:28 pm

I'm a little scared, first because the trailer was meh, then because I didn't know how people would react, but then I remember that Yu Suzuki is actually a genius and any closure is better than no closure at all.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:29 pm

In all honesty in all this time waiting... I have tried not to give myself too overwhelming an expectation. I purposely never went looking for answers of certain things that would happen in remaining chapters. I think that has really helped in my staying extremely psyched for the next game.

My confidence in Yu has always been high. I cannot realistically see him ever letting me down going by past experiences of his works.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: OL
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:43 pm

I instantly gave $510 to them without hesitation because since launch day of shenmue 1 or even when I seen it featured on some crappy gaming channel on Sky before it's release I have obsessed over anything shenmue since. Fair enough it become a lot less frequent as the years went by but I have always visited the dojo at least once or twice a month. It's happening. Something I thought would never come. I still haven't came to terms with it but the last couple of days have felt better. Sony are financially supporting it and it's looking like there is a solid chance of reaching 4 million. I am super hyped and will be until at least the end of my 2nd playthrough!
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Snoopbob2006 wrote: I instantly gave $510 to them without hesitation because since launch day of shenmue 1 or even when I seen it featured on some crappy gaming channel on Sky before it's release I have obsessed over anything shenmue since. Fair enough it become a lot less frequent as the years went by but I have always visited the dojo at least once or twice a month. It's happening. Something I thought would never come. I still haven't came to terms with it but the last couple of days have felt better. Sony are financially supporting it and it's looking like there is a solid chance of reaching 4 million. I am super hyped and will be until at least the end of my 2nd playthrough!

Fucking snoopbob...my man
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sanoichiro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:37 pm

I think that the real trouble here, and the reasonable feelings of fear are based in 2 areas.

1: When Shenmue first dropped, it was amazing. The immersion factor was so easy simply because of what you could do. Take a picture off the wall. Look at the bottom of this cup. Turn every light on and off in the house. We were instantly in just based on the scope of the game. Since then, we've seen the ideas Shenmue brought to the table expanded and refined. Sandbox gaming? Perfected. Interactive environments? Have you ever balanced jars on someones head in Skyrim? Interactive conversations? Pick a Bioware or Telltale game. QTE? They're everywhere. GoW really killed it. And all of the pretty and nuanced animation? God we see that in EVERY game now. Shenmue can no longer impress by just being what it is.

So.... I feel torn as to whether I want S3 to reclaim the throne in these areas, or continue as though it were made 14 years ago. Both have advantages. If it takes modern gaming into account, it opens up the door for a new audience to enjoy. But can it deliver on stealing all of those things back definitively? I don't really think so.

2: After all of the emotions, all the speculation, and being downtrodden for years, can we really get back to that emotional state for the game. Can it be what it once was for us. Can it be that long lost love that makes our heart skip a beat when it walks through the door, or are we so jaded and over it that WE destroy the experience ourselves.

Two legitimate fears. I, however, am full on psyched. I can easily get back to where I was by firing up S1 and S2. If the game continues with the same formula, I will be ready. If it modernizes, I will enjoy it all the more after playing through 2 dated games. This is going to be awesome either way. It's up to us and how we perceive it.

sanoichiro has received a thanks from: JaySw34
sanoichiro
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: sano-ichiro
Currently playing: Street Fighter

Return to Shenmue III