About Shenhua...

(Chapters 3-6)

About Shenhua...

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Not too long ago, there was a post here about how Shenhua could be a ghost/reincarnation. After looking closely at the cutscene which explains the Shenmue tree, there is no doubt in my mind that this theory is at least partially correct. There is a dramatic contrast in the size of the tree when comparing Ryo's encounter with the flashback of when Shenhua was an infant.

The second image isn't great, but you can still clearly see the difference in size.

Shenhua explains to Ryo (if you prompt her) that the Shenmue tree is thousands of years old, and "... was already that tall when my (her) grandfather was a child."

This either means that the tree pictured in Shenhua's flashback is a different Shenmue, or Shenhua is much older than sixteen. The former is unlikely since Shenhua's father refers to the tree her cradle is hanging from as "The Shenmue," not "a Shenmue." I know it's not completely solid, and there could be some variance caused by the translation, but it seems to me like they were specifically talking about this one Shenmue tree, the same one seen by Ryo.

Another clue is the buildings seen behind the Shenmue tree. The ones seen in the flashback are vastly different from Shenhua's house, which Ryo enters. This means either a different location, or a difference in time which could be any amount.

A possible contradiction is Shenhua's explanation of her father. He adopted her, and is not the same man seen in the flashback. It is very possible that his house is not on the same land that Shenhua's real parents lived on, and he just happened to also have a Shenmue tree in front of his house. However, there is no evidence that Shenhua's adopting father even lived in the same time period as Ryo. He is never seen in Shenmue II, and leaves a mysterious note in a cave before disappearing.

Am I just trying to make something out of nothing? Or is Shenhua hundreds or thousands of years old?

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: About Shenhua...

Postby Supa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:43 am

Very interesting. We should find out in 2017!

I don't know what to believe. Shenhua's birthplace was very detailed when the old modding dream team (LanDC, Mestre Ziming, Shenman, et al) visited it way back when. I think they said it lagged the Dreamcast, so it obviously will be visited in the future. Who knows in what capacity?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue II