Cliffy B backs Shenmue 3 & discusses funding...

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Cliffy B backs Shenmue 3 & discusses funding...

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:30 am

Cliffy B, creator of Gears of War, has backed Shenmue 3: https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/stat ... 9591176192

...and this next part from his twitter is interesting, since Cliffy and other game developers are discussing the funding... they seem to think that most of the funds are in place and the KS is just for PR and the finishing touches for the game. They'd know better than anyone how this stuff would work.

See pic:

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Cliffy B backs Shenmue 3 & discusses funding...

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 am

I already said this, but its obvious that kickstarter funds cant be even 25% of the game budget.
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mrandyk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:42 am

These tweets look like they are from before Sony declaring their involvement financially. The Kickstarter will be a small fraction of the budget, but it is still a very important campaign because it will determine Yu's budget.

mrandyk has received 2 thanks from: Axm, FlagshipFighter
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 am

mrandyk wrote: These tweets look like they are from before Sony declaring their involvement financially.

^ This is true, but they were believing a major investor was involved before Sony came forward about their role with funding. So I'm inclined to believe what these guys say; that the budget is probably way bigger than any of us imagined. Probably on par with the $47mill it took to make the first game.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 am

Yep, a few of us have been trying to get people on board with this way of thinking but are all to consumed about what the figure is now, what it needs to be and what we will get etc.

It's the biggest test of patience, which as a Shenmue fan we should be good at! This game will be awesome. Stunning to look at, a great story, detailed open world, excellent direction, breathtaking music.....

If you guys think how can this game be made on that amount, or it will be small..... ask yourself, what size of game do you think takes over 2 years to make? Think about it....
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:58 am

DAN- Be brave and stay calm

I'm failing miserably lol
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby redline » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 am

Peter wrote: This game will be awesome. Stunning to look at, a great story, detailed open world, excellent direction, breathtaking music.....

If you guys think how can this game be made on that amount, or it will be small..... ask yourself, what size of game do you think takes over 2 years to make? Think about it....

sounds like they will be only one real main location in shenmue3 :-k ive got a feeling they will no doubt re-use all the music from shenmue1/2 & online though.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 am

The FAQ at the bottom of the Kickstarter page CONFIRMS that the game has outside funding other than Kickstarter. We know for sure Sony and Shibuya Productions are in it (but we do not know to what extent). But Ys Net said in the FAQs that they are not willing to disclose their other partners let alone exact numbers about their financials.

That's normal. It's just what businesses do. Ys are a business and therefor they don't like talking about their financials unless they have to.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Luke_09 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 am

I still think that the more money this KickStarter gets, the more of a message is being sent to Sony and other investors. Surely if they achieve way more funding on KickStarter than they ever imagined they would, it might encourage further funding for the game.

That is why it has frustrated me that some websites have been stating that we should all stop donating now that $2 million has been raised. That's a very one-dimensional and naive outlook on it all. I'm sure that the more money gets raised on KickStarter, the more these investors will be willing to part with their cash to fund the game, as it is less of a risk for them.

I don't care what people say, if a game makes, let's say $8 million on KickStarter compared with the standard $2 million; an investor is going to be far more likely and more willing to part with more their cash, and even invest more than they were initially willing to!

That's why I believe continuing this momentum is so crucial to making the Shenmue 3 the game it deserves to be.
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Axm » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:38 am

Some people also forget that this isnt donating here. $29-500 gets you actual product. We are making a preorder and in the end get our game and the goodies. And yes a large portion of the kickstarter funds will go in different directions. Ever heard of taxes? Paying employees? Basic operation costs like building space, electricity? Hiring empoyee's(which they are busy doing btw). Flights for business meetings etc.. so much money to just get started THEN they can actually develop a game. Thats why its called kickSTARTER.

YS net is a small team that without our help, would still be focused on mobile smartphone games.
Last edited by Axm on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:39 am

Luke_09 wrote: I still think that the more money this KickStarter gets, the more of a message is being sent to Sony and other investors. Surely if they achieve way more funding on KickStarter than they ever imagined they would, it might encourage further funding for the game.

Definitely true.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby elmatto » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:31 am

This is all fine and dandy, but like I already said I've waited too long to leave this to chance.
I want this sucker to be well funded. I want Suzuki to have so much money for this project that it's coming out of his butthole.
I'm not just gonna throw caution to the wind because of a few developers words. If Mr. Suzuki says he needs da monies, then by god I'm gonna do my best to get him da monies.
elmatto

Favorite title: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue III