Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki doing Reddit AMA tomorrow!

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:53 pm

Why not super hang-on 2 instead of Shenmue ??
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:15 pm

We should all ask him questions about Space-Harrier.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Supa, Yokosuka
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jack » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:05 pm

1.Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

2.What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

Shenmue set a new bar with the detail it put into npc behavior but had it's share of bugs as well (characters disappearing, getting stuck in awkward positions,etc). I hope this new game will rectify some of those issues and set an even higher benchmark in regards to npc a.i

and lastly,
3.What will the pacing of the game be like? Will it continue the slow pace of the Guilin chapter, or have a faster pace like Kowloon, or will it be a mixture of both?

Jack has received a thanks from: shredingskin
Jack
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Aki » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 pm

I have a really important question to add to the list.
please add a queston about the feature of starting the game with a finished Shenmue 2 save file. :!:

It would be a let down if they wouldn't care about this. I'm sure many of us still have our original save file we created when we first played through Shenmue and we continued that same file in Shenmue 2.
We can manage to get our Shenmue II save file to the internet from a Dreamcast (and probably from XBOX too)
and from there we could simply give it to Shenmue III (at least in case of the PC version).
I really think they could implement this option easily because I'm sure Suzuki knows how they designed that Shenmue II
save file back in the day and from there it should be easy to extract the needed data from it.

so please put this question on the list
and inform Suzuki that this thing is important for the Dreamcast community!
Aki

Postby Jack » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Oh, and one more

4. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?
Last edited by Jack on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:26 pm

It's interesting the question about wildlife.

I would like to name a wolf chibi or sazuke

BTW the protector of guiling is a deer, so I think we will see some deers around.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Jack
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Wanderin' » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:55 am

Another big question focusing on a core gameplay mechanic: if anyone's kept up to date with that new Famitsu article, it seems like Suzuki wants to do away with the classic Virtua Fighter style 3D fighting mechanic in that he doesn't want players to have to practise and learn how to pull off directional moves on a controller in favour of his new 'technique scroll' system, in which virtually everything - from minigames to gambling will award you with these scrolls, which are sounding more and more like (potentially watered down?) single button presses which will automatically cause Ryo to perform various moves without the player ever having to practise any timing or input any kind of Virtua Fighter-esque commands.

I for one, am strongly against this as a longtime Shenmue fan because I have and always will believe that the series' capability to seamlessly transition you one moment from a deeply detailed world simulation/adventure game to a richly fleshed out 3D fighting game engine that played competently like a real 3D fighting game was always a core element that went a long way in establishing the series' signature immersiveness by demonstrating it's characteristic proficiency in combining so many varied yet fleshed out gameplay mechanics and genres into one cohesive whole that is unmistakably Shenmue.

Given this, I hope we get a chance to ask Mr. Suzuki if the traditional fighting game engine and mechanic will remain intact and improved in Shenmue 3, or if if he intends on diluting and potentially enfantalising it with a Pokemon-esque focus on the need to collect 'em all in collecting all the new automated technique scroll attack moves?
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:03 am

Yeah, the "scroll system", "rapport system", "new qte system", "perspective system", "skill tree system" are really not explained AT ALL.

I think the free battle question is a must, but not put in that pejorative light.

But also he really need to explain what these "new systems" are, at least what we already got (scrolls, rapport and skill system).

I understand that he might think it'll spoil the game, but at least something.

BTW does the AMA have a time ???
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby fif » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 am

I repeat my question that I think is important :
Is the game scale going to be really close to what he first intended to do or will he have to do some compromises ?

I'd like to have a game with all locations and part of the story that were intended, not a smaller scale version.. But well that's better than nothing.
fif

Postby Namron_Bearded » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:29 am

I read the updated questions and they are nice.

I hope that Shenmue 3 won't cover the last 10 chapters, if Yu Suzuki could cut this in half at least...

I agree with Wanderin' : simplified controls are pure evil. It vanishes all the learning system. I'm ok if there are QTE because it's somehow a part of the games, but let's consider this. I'm tired from all these games that abuse this QTE thing, just look at almost every "hyped" games how you just press forward and one button at a time to perform every move. This is boring. Shenmue needs to own a fighting system that looks like what they did on the original Shenmue games.
Namron_Bearded

Currently playing: F-Zero GP Legend

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:14 am

IMO you should lose the "Will the final game be at full price?" question. We've been badgering the guy for years to get S3 made, how is this gonna look? Like we're not willing to buy it if it's full price? The game is being included in the Kickstarter pledges anyway.

Also change "Will you finish the story with Shenmue 3?" to something like "Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?" Sounds much better, like we aren't after just one game.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Amir
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:25 am

Sonoshee wrote: IMO you should lose the "Will the final game be at full price?" question. We've been badgering the guy for years to get S3 made, how is this gonna look? Like we're not willing to buy it if it's full price? The game is being included in the Kickstarter pledges anyway.

Also change "Will you finish the story with Shenmue 3?" to something like "Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?" Sounds much better, like we aren't after just one game.

Yeah, there's no point coming across as belligerent if we actually want answers, have to throw in some softballs as well.

Unfortunately the consensus on Reddit is that Sony are shady bastards for having a Kickstarter at E3. One guy actually said that Shenmue III was a guaranteed money maker and it wasn't a risk for Sony at all...

If that was true, we would have had Shenmue III back in 2004. I really don't understand the Internet's desire to shit on everything. Yes, it pays to be realistic, to examine everything, but it just goes to an extreme where everything is rubbish and nothing is worth paying for. Sigh.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby The Big Landman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:27 am

My only concern is if the originally planed 16 story chapters are intact or if he has modified the story to fit them in Shenmue 3.
The Big Landman

Postby flip » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:30 am

Somebody needs to ask or convince Yu to continue funding after the kickstarter ends via paypal.

Star Citizen got 10s of millions of dollars by doing that.
flip
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Ryuman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:42 am

Namron_Bearded wrote: I read the updated questions and they are nice.

I hope that Shenmue 3 won't cover the last 10 chapters, if Yu Suzuki could cut this in half at least...

There are only 5 chapters left. Suzuki's said this for a while, and the press release for this Kickstarter says that Shenmue has 11 chapters.

We need to let this 16 chapter thing go. It's like one whiteboard image vs everything else ever.
Ryuman

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: KH 2.5

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III