Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

Postby ys » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Himuro wrote:No, he's clearly saying that it's open-world but not the modern idea of open world that lacks detail in favor of scale.

The fact that their environment designer who also worked on the previous games is an architect clearly shows that Yu wants to continue with the detailed approach. This bothered me in some games. They could have a big world but it somehow felt like a facade. I had that with Fallout 3 or certain areas in Grand Theft Auto 5.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:57 pm

There more I think about this the more I realized how difficult it will be to deliver this game. For example how will they make the Virtua Fighter esque gameplay without AM2?
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

The only concern I have about Shenmue 3 is that it'll end up being too modern.
Seems like so many people want it to be updated with modern gaming ideas and all, but I just want it to be as much like the old games as possible, honestly. I'd like to be able to play through S1 and 2, dive into S3, and have it feel like a smooth transition, almost like it was made directly after the previous ones.
I don't want it to actually feel like 15 years have passed when I start playing it, if that makes sense.

OL has received 4 thanks from: Bambi, JaySw34, Rakim, Sonoshee
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby JaySw34 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:40 pm

OL wrote: The only concern I have about Shenmue 3 is that it'll end up being too modern.
Seems like so many people want it to be updated with modern gaming ideas and all, but I just want it to be as much like the old games as possible, honestly. I'd like to be able to play through S1 and 2, dive into S3, and have it feel like a smooth transition, almost like it was made directly after the previous ones.
I don't want it to actually feel like 15 years have passed when I start playing it, if that makes sense.

This... I've even said previously that it wouldn't bother me one bit if the 3rd game looked, played, and controlled just like the first 2. In my opinion they should only modernize where it is absolutely necessary. Obviously we will see graphical improvement, but I too hope for as much as a seamless transition as possible.

JaySw34 has received a thanks from: OL
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 pm

OL wrote: The only concern I have about Shenmue 3 is that it'll end up being too modern.

Suzuki has already said that he isn't interested in adapting to the way in which the genre has evolved and instead hopes to capture a feel close to the original 2 games despite advancements (or changes rather) in gaming. When I heard this all my fears (most of my fears) were laid to rest, as I held similar fears as you do.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Scrounder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:48 am

Just from hearing Shenmue 3's Kickstarter theme gives me 100% faith in Yu Suzuki. It just screams Shenmue and it has a ton of personality.
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby denile » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:55 am

I imagine that YS has matched funding agreements e.g. for every dollar that the Kickstarter raises, Sony will provide three or four.

My concern would be that there were no VF style combat.
denile
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby disbeliever » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:52 am

I have only one concern and that is

Unreal Engine 4

Why? Despite personal preferences and not remembering a one game that would impress me character-wise (they all look pretty dead in UE, except maybe a bit better in Enslaved?), I have a serious reasons to believe that it's not the best choice for the PS4 version. I played 2 games running on Unreal Engine 4 on PS4 (one of them being Daylight) and both, despite having a low level of detail ran pretty horrible, with very bad fps. I'm aware that it may be a matter of optimization, but if they have a small, unexperienced team it probably won't be that easy. Also, I suppose that they chose to use the engine for 'free', so if they make shit-ton of money, 10% is going directly to Epic. So yeah, we're probably giving our money away to them as well and this engine isn't the best choice for Shenmue, it isn't even a good one in my opinion.
disbeliever
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: disbeliever616
XBL: disbeliever616
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Bloodborne

Postby Luke_09 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:58 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: There more I think about this the more I realized how difficult it will be to deliver this game. For example how will they make the Virtua Fighter esque gameplay without AM2?

That's a really good point!

Probably showing my ignorance here, but why would AM2 be needed to have Virtua Fighter-like gameplay? Surely Suzuki San still has all of the coding from the original Shenmue's, which did have the Virtual Fighter combat incorporated?
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Three Blades » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:40 am

Or he could make a satisfying re-creation of it. I mean, he's the one who made it in the first place.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:46 am

My major concern right now is the combat system. What I heard from Suzuki doesn't instill confidence. I hope it's not something more RPG-ish, or worse, like the Arkham games combat.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:05 am

disbeliever wrote: I have only one concern and that is

Unreal Engine 4

Why? Despite personal preferences and not remembering a one game that would impress me character-wise (they all look pretty dead in UE, except maybe a bit better in Enslaved?), I have a serious reasons to believe that it's not the best choice for the PS4 version. I played 2 games running on Unreal Engine 4 on PS4 (one of them being Daylight) and both, despite having a low level of detail ran pretty horrible, with very bad fps. I'm aware that it may be a matter of optimization, but if they have a small, unexperienced team it probably won't be that easy. Also, I suppose that they chose to use the engine for 'free', so if they make shit-ton of money, 10% is going directly to Epic. So yeah, we're probably giving our money away to them as well and this engine isn't the best choice for Shenmue, it isn't even a good one in my opinion.

Suzuki-san has already explained why he chose to go with UE4. He had looked at various engines before settling on it. It has the closest colour palette he wanted that would make Shenmue 3's environments look the way he wanted them to.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:47 am

1) Virtua Fighter system (imperative !!!!!!)
2) Charadesign accuracy
3) Each place = unique music
4) Keeping the original QTE spirit. QTE sucks but Shenmue had something special.
5) The open world scale. Shenmue is not Skyrim or GTA, Shenmue is Shenmue.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:51 am

My main concern is Yu Suzuki himself. The guy hasn't made a game in 14 years and every game his worked on since then has either been in development hell for years on end or been tested and swept under the carpet. The guy must have been going into work 9-5 each day at SEGA as he was getting paid and he has nothing to show for it. Makes me wonder what he can do with a limited budget and limited amount of time to deliver. The guy may have been a miracle worker back in the day but developing for arcades in the 80's and 90's is very different to making games today.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 am

The free battles and QTEs both being gutted and changed entirely which if the Famitsu article is anything to go by, will happen according to Suzuki. :/
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III