The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Struggle

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: PS4 Physical Copy Issue

Postby alexh86 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:08 pm

"What about the PC physical copy? Why such a disdain for PC games? Anyone can explain that to me?"

I don't have anything against the PC release. I'm not a PC gamer though so I won't be playing it there (even though I'm picking up the PC release with my reward). When I do play it on PS4, I hope it's a physical game that I can keep forever and put with my other Shenmue games. I don't like digital games that go away when the server hosts decide on a whim they're done supporting a particular console.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby WhiteCrane » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:30 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is literally no way to restore your purchases on a Nintendo Wii. If the console dies, you must buy everything again as nothing is tied to your nintendo account.

Personally, I will buy a physical copy, but that didn't stop me from pledging $250 anyway. But I couldn't play Shenmue 1 and 2 without owning the discs. I absolutely do not trust Sony, Sega, or MSFT to continue allowing downloads of the games I legally purchased from them after the hardware is obsolete. Especially when they can re release content over and over again and consumers will keep buying the same games over and over again.
WhiteCrane
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: WhiteCrane
Steam: [email protected]
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Puppeteer

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:45 am

You don't trust MS to do it despite the fact that they just announced backwards compatibility? Personally, I can't see Sony or MS being stupid enough to do this. They've learned not to piss off gamers in such a major way. The PS4's success is a direct result of listening to gamers after the missteps they took with the PS3. MS were quick to change their philosophy due to the outrage caused by the initial announcement of the Xbox One.

The two may be arrogant, but they can't be considered ignorant. Nintendo are both, and have been paying the price for it.

Like I say, I understand wanting a physical copy, but the actual apparent need for one doesn't make sense to me at all. (Disclaimer: Except in the case of Nintendo)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby TheThirdComing » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:52 am

We'll to me this is a big issue and it is the reason I have only pledged $29 so far. I want a boxed copy for so many reasons some shallow but some very justified. Firstly I have many games within my collection both Dreamcast & Xbox releases of Shenmue included so I want to add to that collection. Downloads sort of feel un-authentic to me, like I don't even own the game but I am just renting it.

Secondly on the PS4, it takes forever to download a full game onto your HDD whole with a disk copy it takes barely a minute to install like 40GB, it's a tremendous difference and with a limited HDD of 500GB it's the o lay way I can put up with the system without getting frustrated with it. I don't mind reinstalling games within a minute, but within hours it bothers me.

Also, I simply do not trust the download market, what about in years time when there servers go down? If my HDD crashes, I'd be stuffed. This is also the reason I do not but DLC and often trade my standard edition of games for the pretentiously named 'Game of the Year' Editions - just look at every Bethesda release on PS3 to see what I mean... But in the long run it is thinking in advance that I want something for safe keeping, I don't mess up discs so the isn't much chance of them getting ruined but servers eventually going down and restricting me from all my purchased content is bound to happen down the line and it's beyond my control. I don't want this to happen to games I love like Shenmue.
TheThirdComing

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:11 am

alexh86 wrote: "What about the PC physical copy? Why such a disdain for PC games? Anyone can explain that to me?"

I don't have anything against the PC release. I'm not a PC gamer though so I won't be playing it there (even though I'm picking up the PC release with my reward). When I do play it on PS4, I hope it's a physical game that I can keep forever and put with my other Shenmue games. I don't like digital games that go away when the server hosts decide on a whim they're done supporting a particular console.

Well, I'm confident you'll get your PS4 physical copy eventually. There is no way Sony would pass up this chance (and maybe even a limited edition console to boot).

TheThirdComing wrote: We'll to me this is a big issue and it is the reason I have only pledged $29 so far. I want a boxed copy for so many reasons some shallow but some very justified. Firstly I have many games within my collection both Dreamcast & Xbox releases of Shenmue included so I want to add to that collection. Downloads sort of feel un-authentic to me, like I don't even own the game but I am just renting it.

Secondly on the PS4, it takes forever to download a full game onto your HDD whole with a disk copy it takes barely a minute to install like 40GB, it's a tremendous difference and with a limited HDD of 500GB it's the o lay way I can put up with the system without getting frustrated with it. I don't mind reinstalling games within a minute, but within hours it bothers me.

Also, I simply do not trust the download market, what about in years time when there servers go down? If my HDD crashes, I'd be stuffed. This is also the reason I do not but DLC and often trade my standard edition of games for the pretentiously named 'Game of the Year' Editions - just look at every Bethesda release on PS3 to see what I mean... But in the long run it is thinking in advance that I want something for safe keeping, I don't mess up discs so the isn't much chance of them getting ruined but servers eventually going down and restricting me from all my purchased content is bound to happen down the line and it's beyond my control. I don't want this to happen to games I love like Shenmue.

So you are not afraid at all if this game becomes under budgeted and the quality suffer because of that?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheThirdComing » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:07 am

I don't see how the production would suffer from offering physical editions of the game, as I have said I am more than happy to raise my pledge from $29 to $100 just if they can offer the assurance that I will get my physical copy on PS4.

As for quality assurance for the game, this should already have been met through the initial funding, I mean I'd hope that Baisha Village would not be bare bones initially anyway, are they going to treat the other 2 locations set in the game in the same manner? I want the game to be full of content as the next funder, but they should have the intention of providing such content anyway as we've already and not only through these stretch targets.
TheThirdComing

Postby Three Blades » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:14 am

Same here. I'm planning on donating 175$ anyways because I want the T-Shirt and the book (the REAL book, not digital).
But damn, I'd be happy if they gave me the option to have a PS4 physical copy instead.

I have no way of knowing if my PC is powerful enough to play this game, nor do I care, because I prefer playing on my large TV. And yes, I can plug the laptop onto the TV with a HDMI cord, but then I'm hogging both the computer AND the TV at the same time, and my wife will whine that she has nothing to do.

It would also seem silly to buy a whole other computer just to remedy that problem, since we already have one. To top it all off, most PC games are sold through downloads, and I refuse to pay for software that does not come on a physical medium of some sort (Shenmue 3 being the only exception). Because yeah, you can re-download it on your account or whatever, but what about 10 years down the line? What if I wanna replay it, but don't have my account number or password anymore. Or what if I just like to collect games. I have over 150 Dreamcast games, neatly arranged on a shelf. My DC collection is something that I'm very proud of, and I suspect that wouldn't be the case if they were all digital downloads.

So yeah. A PS4 physical copy would be really, REALLY a huge deal for some of us. However, for me, Shenmue 3 is an even huger deal, so I'm making an exception just this one time.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JohnBlack » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:36 am

No way they will do it on this stage. I dont know why so much people asking for this, do you want to make it even harder? To release physical copy you need tons of contracts. You need to pay fees. They offers PC physical game because they can just write the game on disc wherever they want. On the other hand, if we talking about PS4 you cant just write game on Blu-ray and send it to backers. You need a lot of stuff done to release physical game on PS4.
JohnBlack

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 pm

You'll be able to get it when the game comes out, so Sony can have its return for supporting the game.

Source: my brain
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Strug

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:59 pm

It's really disheartening knowing that we have fans who clearly have the money, but deem Shenmue 3 to be worth only $29 for the lack of a phsysical Sony official stamp. I don't even know if there are brand new Triple A games in the PS store that cost only this much. I wonder how I am going to convince people outside this forum to shell out even $5 bucks now... Wish me luck!

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:07 pm

As long as Sony handles the PS4 physical copies then it doesn't really matter.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Sonoshee wrote: As long as Sony handles the PS4 physical copies then it doesn't really matter.

In this case shouldn't all the people demanding the PS4 physical copies take the fight to SONY's front door instead of demanding it from Yu Suzuki? The same goes for the HD ports (Sega in this case).

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Axm
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexironaek » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:26 pm

i really cannot understand how we went from "omg omg please just show us anything shenmue related at E3/TGS" to "i am not donating if i do not get a physical ps4 copy"!!! i want i physical ps4 copy also , and i am going to buy one when it is released. until then i will donate everything my wallet and salary allows me to donate to get the game i am waiting for the last 14 years...(i am talking in general)

alexironaek has received 3 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, SickOctopus
alexironaek

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:05 pm

alexironaek wrote: i really cannot understand how we went from "omg omg please just show us anything shenmue related at E3/TGS" to "i am not donating if i do not get a physical ps4 copy"!!!

Sadly that's people today. Their self-entitled attitudes are mind blowing.

sand4fish wrote:
Sonoshee wrote: As long as Sony handles the PS4 physical copies then it doesn't really matter.

In this case shouldn't all the people demanding the PS4 physical copies take the fight to SONY's front door instead of demanding it from Yu Suzuki? The same goes for the HD ports (Sega in this case).

I couldn't agree more with you. But it's as I said above, people think they are entitled to anything as long as they are pledging.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:42 pm

I wonder if Suzuki could do something else such as a limited edition PS4 backer exclusive slip case or something to fit the retail version in when it comes out. Maybe that will entice fans on the fence due to the lack of a PS4 physical version?

Other odd potential rewards missing are posters in the mid tiers and wallpapers in the lower tiers.
Doom_Infinite

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III