IDEA for S3 - It's time for eating to become important.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

IDEA for S3 - It's time for eating to become important.

Postby jay_mack » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:34 pm

I think one way to step up the realism of shenmue is to create an eating system.

Ryo would have to eat three meals a day. There could be two metrics - nutrition, and enjoyment. On days that are very physically active (a day with a fight, or a work day) it would help to eat more nutritiously. However, if Ryo eats the same thing all the time, the enjoyment metric goes down.

It could have an effect on everything. Eating nutritiously could give you a health bonus that day, while NOT eating at all gives you a penalty. If you have eaten properly, you could run continuously, but if you eat poorly, you have to stop running from time to time, like in GTA.

I like this idea because it adds a layer of reality to the game. It also creates a system whereby the player will need to manage their money more effectively. You'll want to buy the healthiest, cheapest thing most of the time. But if his enjoyment of food is low, you might have to bump up to the more expensive dumplings.

Most importantly to me, Shenmue was a series that recreated real life better than any game before, and also mostly since. I think that because no characters ever eat (going to the bathroom could be shenmue 4) in any video games, this would be a very simple way to increase the immersion, and once again be ground breaking.

I would want the mechanic to be as simple as possible so that it doesn't command the attention of the player ALL the time... but it would be nice to worry about once or twice during an in-game day.

I'm not entirely sure how it would work, but it might be fun to think through some ideas with you guys. How would drinking soda fit in, for example? I could also see Ryo being introduced to many different kinds of foods now that he's in China, so far from home, that would add depth to the world, and create in the player a sense of travel.

Another thought is that different kinds of food could provide different buffs. This kind of dumpling makes Ryo run 10% faster, but it lasts for six hours. This kind of food makes Ryo's kick moves do more damage, lasting for 2 hours. It would be a fun way to modify how the game works, much like a JRPG.

Let me know what you think.
jay_mack
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Destiny

Re: IDEA for S3 - It's time for eating to become important.

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:59 pm

YES! this would go perfectly with my toilet simulator idea that I posted here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47636&start=30

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, MiTT3NZ
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:08 pm

I'd love to see the possibility to have Ryo eat something. It was always a little bothersome that you cannot eat all the Snacks that you can buy at the convenience store. It seems like such a waste since you can drink cans of soda to no end.

I'm not sure about making eating a necessity, it will force things on the player. It's not a bad thing but I think it shouldn't be overdone with a lot of stats attached to it. Shenmue always managed to escape these kinda things that bond it to being a game. If they do it then a simple stamina meter like in MGS 3 would be enough.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Considering Yu Suzuki likes to keep lots of things realistic and that the 3rd game is set in rural China if Ryo were to eat the game would most likely just be a diarrhoea simulator.

south carmain has received a thanks from: myshtuff
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ImGladUmad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Thats a great idea.

Perhaps eating things that he enjoys will give him a boost in new dialogue options(if there is any) since he will be more happy...Perhaps mini games will be harder etc because he is so pissed off eating the same healthy things all the time.

Maybe the enjoyment meter should be influenced by playing games as well on top of eating good food....The enjoyment meter should give buffs to dialogue options or other things.

Like you said it will really add to the immersiveness of the game that Shenmue 1 had.
ImGladUmad
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Maybe if it were done like sleeping dogs, where you get perks/boosts? It would be nice to see him eat lol
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby James Brown » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:38 pm

He ate at Shenhua's, she cooked rabbit I recall :)

James Brown has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby FourWuDu1026 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:53 pm

I definitely think its a great idea. Something along the lines of a system like the one in MGS3 where there's a stamina bar.
Low stamina would prevent you from being able to sprint and reduce your power and energy in battle.

Also certain foods would provide buffs or perks, something like a coffee or soda could give you a temporary increase to your stamina bar because of the caffeine. Maybe eating something high in protein would give you boosts in strength or something like that.

Too bad no one asked him this in the AMA.
FourWuDu1026
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Persona 4,Mortal Kombat x

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 pm

I think this would work best as an OPTION, but not mandatory. Sort of like the harder difficulties in Fallout New Vegas. If you selected the "more real" option or whatever it was called, you had to eat and rest in order to survive. Its a neat option, but people can very easily get turned away by something like this. That being said, it would be nice to have Ryo just eat more in general as part of cut scenes or something to seem more real.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby SlySpy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm down with some form of stamina system tied to eating as well. Of all of the simulative qualities of the first two games, it is interesting that you never really had any need to eat. They don't have to make him emaciated or anything, but having him generally weaker in battles, and with less stamina to run around would easily be enough to bring a layer of realism into the game.

Along with that, I think it should also be possible to drink tea in the game, outside of just cutscenes. Different types of tea typically have many different properties and health related benefits in the real world, so having something like that in a game would not be too much of a stretch.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby rome » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:39 pm

James Brown wrote: He ate at Shenhua's, she cooked rabbit I recall :)

if they don't add something that adds to your stamina or health, there should at least be more cut scenes were he's enjoying a meal from time to time.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue III